Queen Victoria - changes made for Arcadia

guernseyguy

According to David Dingle, head of Carnival UK, in the Southampton Echo's glossy on the ARCADIA, the changes made by P&O to the QV were:

• Flat screen TVs to make room for in-cabin kettle/cups/tea & coffee (I thought those appeared in early QV images?...)
  • More steel in her bow in preparation for world wide voyages (so where was QV going to be sailing, exactly...)
  • Provision for internal emergency muster, rather than open deck
  • Adapt the Galleys to prepare more bread, fried food & potatos
  • Extra refrigeration for the bars
  • Increased seating capacity in main restaurant...is that more seats or bigger seats...given all the bread, fried food & potatos....?

However, he also adds, 'In reality we did very little to the ship when

she moved across to P&O Cruises'

The comment on 'steel in the bow' is particularly alarming, and sounds as though we may have had a narrow escape, possibly Carnival, spotting a clueless Cunard, patching up a cruise ship, when their selling point is 'ocean liner heritage' decided to intervene & give them more time to get their act together.

Peter

Interesting ..... she certainly looks like a great P&O cruise ship, but a Cunard Queen ???? Saw her sail on her maiden voyage - photos on link below. The all white hull is an improvement on the HAL Vistas - but the extra deck makes her look very top heavy. On a windy Southampton sailing day she was listing noticably. Looking forward to sailing through Panama Canal on her in the New Year.

http://community.webshots.com/user/kenphill/1

Ken

From the outside, the Arcadia must be one of the most unatractive ships I have seen. I was so glad when she left Southampton! Then Aurora came home, reminding us that P&O have ships that do look right.

Well QE2 is here this week to make up for it.

Arcadia makes QM2 look positively svelte.

Agreed. Thank God she never became the Queen Victoria. Honestly, why is it no one can see that a ship's outward appearance is truly more important than the number of "cabins" she can hold? I wouldn't be caught dead on this "ship".

Richard

Archived