Passover aboard ship?

derf5585

Back in college, the "Jewish Dormies' held a sedar that they advertised is open to everyone. IMO, though, if you weren't familiar with Passover, you would be lost. The same week I went to a sedar held by a frat (the boy I was dating was pledging it) and it was a blast. A rabbinical (is that the word?) student led the service and it was assumed that the attendees had never been to one before (I think most there were not Jewish).

My MIL showed me an ad in a Jewish pub for a kosher cruise on Celebrity. I researched it for her and found the fare was twice the price as booking the cruise normally (say, thru the cruiseline).

(Oh, the look of dread when the gefilte fish is brought out!)
LOL -- isn't that the truth--

we have many non Jewish friends who celebrate Pesach with us, and although they have all taken to horseradish enthusiastically, gefilte fish is where they draw the line!

We are still exhausted from 2 seders over the weekend; have to admit that Pesach at sea sounds pretty good just about now!

BTW, have any of you visited the fantastic old Sephardic Synagogue in Curacao? We were there in January on the Dawn Princess, and it is not to be missed!

We were there about a year ago. Fascinating! The sanctuary was absolutely gorgeous! And the museum - wow! I understand there's a synagogue in St. Thomas that also has quite a history. We're planning on visiting it when we go in December on the Golden.

Here's another question I'd love to have answered during the seder:

On all other night, we may eat beans and legumes to our hearts content. Why on this night can only the Sephardim do that?

found this reference on a quick search, but it doesn't really say why...I guess it is like dairy+chicken -- an extra "safety net" created by the Rabbis around the original biblical commandment just to be sure.

This year I have decided to follow the Sephardic custom to some extent -- I am drinking soy milk (hard to feel too guilty about that!)

Definition of Chametz

In Exodus 12:15 the Bible tells us, “Seven days you shall eat unleavened bread; on the very first day you shall remove leaven from your houses.” The Rabbis specified five grains, which can become chametz: wheat, barley, spelt, rye, and oats. Ashke****c authorities added to this list rice and kitniyot, or legumes (including beans, peas, lentils, corn and maize, millet, and mustard). Sephardic authorities prohibit only the five specified grains, thus Sephardic Jews are allowed to eat legumes and rice during Passover.

We got out tour bus driver to drive by when we were on St. Thomas, but said he could not stop. Thanks for that link - looks like they really fixed the place up - yea, I agree, just have to go back to see it. :rolleyes:

Can anybody tell me how long my chopped liver will last in the fridge before it goes bad - and can you freeze it successfully (On Friday I made way too much).

Thanks. (Just think we are half way home - (I use the biblical standard of 7 days). A little pasta, some garlic bread...ahhhhh

Can anybody tell me how long my chopped liver will last in the fridge before it goes bad - and can you freeze it successfully (On Friday I made way too much).

although the shelf-life of good chopped liver can usually be measured in hours or minutes, depending on appetite)

from

http://bogieworks.blogs.com/treppenwitz/2004/12/photo_friday_vo_2.html

but if you call it quenelles which is the French name for the very same thing, they will think they died and went to heaven. If you think I am kidding, just Google on quenelles and see the recipes. Just like my bubie makes.

Then again who wants to debate sweet vs. salty, Pollock vs. Russian; Pike vs. pickerel vs. whitefish. That would be a thread all its own.

but if you call it quenelles

Gently pour in enough steaming hot water into pan to cover the quenelles.

from

http://www.sweetbabymedia.com/recipes/allbynumber4/016992.shtml

A ball or dumpling of finely chopped meat or seafood bound with eggs and poached in stock or water.

from

http://www.answers.com/topic/quenelle

Enjoycruises: My eldest son got married in the Sephardi shul you visited in London. It is called Bevis Marks and is so beautiful, it is in the style of the Great Synagogue in Amsterdam. My daughter-in-law is Sephardi so that is why they chose that shul. If you ever visit in the autumn/winter you will see that the shul is only lit by candles, just amazing!

We have visited the shul in St Thomas, another gem... our kids bought us a great picture painted to celebrate the shul's bicentennial, we have it on the wall in the hall, it's the first thing you see as you walk in the house, always cheers me up on a wet and windy day (today for example!!)

Well we are all suffering from "matza blight" here, sure you all know what I mean!!;) Can't wait to have a bagel Sunday!!:)

Love Sue x

Guest enjoycruises

I always take it easy on the matzah and this year especially. I had my gallbladder out last Thursday and before the Doctor checked me out of the hospital he said to me, "Enjoy your chometz". You will have MAJOR probs if you eat the matzah...more than usual!" However, I did not take the Doc's advise. I AM keeping the holiday...no chometz has passed my lips. I was doing well with the NO matzah until a friend came over and brought me and my family matzah brie for dinner. What could I do, BUT eat it!!!!:eek:

I always take it easy on the matzah and this year especially. I had my gallbladder out last Thursday and before the Doctor checked me out of the hospital he said to me, "Enjoy your chometz". You will have MAJOR probs if you eat the matzah...more than usual!" However, I did not take the Doc's advise. I AM keeping the holiday...no chometz has passed my lips. I was doing well with the NO matzah until a friend came over and brought me and my family matzah brie for dinner. What could I do, BUT eat it!!!!:eek:

Yummy, yummy! I love matzah brie. Send some my way.:D :D

OK - excuse my ignorance - but what the heck is matzoh Brie?

I'm interested in learning about anything (NEW to me) that tastes good at Passover :p (yes - I already know about Chocolate).

Thanks

A more generic name would be fried matzo. Kind of like matzo pancakes or a matzo omelet. I'm sure someone from this thread can provide an actual recipe. Mine is a little of this' date=' a little of that and a dash of cinnamon, etc.[/b']

Guest enjoycruises

Matzah Brie is also known as "Fried Matzah". You take the matzah and soak it, then put it in a frying pan with eggs and fry it. I don't use much oil so I really have to watch it cook. when it is done I put a wee bit of salt on it and eat.

LyndaBaker: come to Chicago and I will put it on.:)

My mother made the most wonderful matzo brei when I was a kid. I loved it with salt and pepper, but my dad always put cinnamon and sugar on his slice. I've been making it every year for the past quarter century, and my family loves it, too. Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:

4 eggs ½ cup water or milk

4 – 5 matzos ½ tsp. salt

4 T butter or margerine dash pepper

Directions:

Soak the matzos in cold water until they are soft. Drain well (get as much water out as you can!). In a separate mixing bowl, beat together the eggs, 1/2 cup water or milk (I use water - keeps it pareve), the salt, and the pepper. Fold in the matzos. Melt the butter in a large skillet (again, to keep it pareve, use margerine). Pour egg-matzo mixture in skillet and cook, covered, on medium heat for ten minutes. Slide the brei onto a plate and "flip" it back into the skillet to cook the other side. Replace the lid on the skillet, and cook for another ten minutes. Delicious served hot OR cold.

My mother made the most wonderful matzo brei when I was a kid. I loved it with salt and pepper, but my dad always put cinnamon and sugar on his slice. I've been making it every year for the past quarter century, and my family loves it, too. Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:

4 eggs ½ cup water or milk

4 – 5 matzos ½ tsp. salt

4 T butter or margerine dash pepper

Directions:

Soak the matzos in cold water until they are soft. Drain well (get as much water out as you can!). In a separate mixing bowl, beat together the eggs, 1/2 cup water or milk (I use water - keeps it pareve), the salt, and the pepper. Fold in the matzos. Melt the butter in a large skillet (again, to keep it pareve, use margerine). Pour egg-matzo mixture in skillet and cook, covered, on medium heat for ten minutes. Slide the brei onto a plate and "flip" it back into the skillet to cook the other side. Replace the lid on the skillet, and cook for another ten minutes. Delicious served hot OR cold.

Can't wait to try your recipe. Sounds less caloric (is that a word?:D if not, it should be) than mine. Thanks!

We usually have it at our house or go to one of my nieces' homes. What I do to make life easier is to hire my cleaning lady to do the cleanup. It makes a huge difference. We always invite her to join in the festivities.

Roberta

Guest enjoycruises

Is there REALLY kosher for Pesach syrup?:confused: What would it be made with instead of cory syrup?:confused:

Archived