Passover aboard ship?

derf5585

Guest enjoycruises

I don't think that we fall into "cruise rituals". As for those that do the "shul excursions", we would be very limited. Many J's travel all over but do not seek out their heritage or their upbringing. MerrylIG's hubby had the best suggestion in my opinion. Please just keep me posted as to where this thread will be. I like this group and hope it continues and grows.;)

Realproperty: Princess is not so great, you say? We will be on her in December. What's wrong?

Guest enjoycruises

I have an idea......Y not call OUR thread, "Chavarim" or "Chaverot"? Which is the correct word? DERF....which is correct? I think most J's would recognize either of these words. Just a thought.:rolleyes:

Enjoycruises and anyone else who cares to consider it: I think there is an opportunity to start a thread that could have a very long life offering the views and experiences of people who in very general and perhaps even specific terms share a common history and a certain view of life. We come from all over yet we have a commonality. We understand Jewish geography. (You DO understand Jewish geography?) We understand cake rather than drink. Many of us do somehow find each on holidays, in so many strange, interesting and serendipitous ways. And we often have very similar interests in our travels. So, it could be interesting. We do visit shuls and Jewish sites, the Coral syagogue in St. Petersberg, the shuls in Florence, Rome and Stockholm, the Jewish district in Paris, etc., etc. Others may as well and might be interested in sharing that information. And we have gone to Shabbat services and it is fun to find out where your fellow Jews sharing a cruise are from.

As for Princess, for me and my wife, it is just another cruise line. We were on the Diamond, very ordinary, big ship, middle of the road, middle America, polyester, like being at a convention Sheraton hotel. It was OK, it was fine, you will have a nice time but, before I went, I had higher expectations after being on RCL, NCL and Windstar. Next time, Celebrity-a little more upscale so we hear. But not so fast, we don't just cruise for our holidays. There are lots of things to see that aren't by the sea. That's it. But this comment is not about how good or bad Princess is. It is about Jews who cruise or for me, who travel.

Guest enjoycruises

I DO enjoy Jewish Geography. What a wonderful ice-breaker when meeting new people.:) I agree with you about keeping the thread going. You can see that by all my previous posts. Let's get it going.

and let's see what (if anything happens).

Spengle, my wife has wanted to do the Galagagos since she taught high school geography 25 years ago. As for the eastern Med, it has very interest sites including Jewish sites. The shuls in Istanbul are not easy to get into. Lots of security and you need reference letters from concierges at hotels or a scheduled appointment with identification. They had a terrible terrorist attack a number of years ago in the middle of services. (Price turkish carpets before you go so that you don't get ripped off. They know that tourists from ships are in a hurry so be prepared.) There is a neat little Jewish museum on Rhodes (it takes 20 minutes to go through) showing how Hitler deported the Jewish population of Rhodes during the war. When you see how far Rhodes is from everywhere and how irrelevant a piece of real estate it was, it will be so clear that this was absolute hate and nothing else. Athens also has a fine Jewish museum worth an hour or two. It frankly beats schlepping around the acropolis.

Have a great Galapagos trip.

As for those that do the "shul excursions",

When Derfette an I went to Saint Thomas we went to the Saint Thomas synagogue by ourselves for a tour. Now why they would name a synagogue after a saint I'll never know

Our beautiful synagogue is an architectural and historical gem in the middle of the Caribbean.

from

http://www.onepaper.com/synagogue/?v=d&i=&s=St.+Thomas+Synagogue:Welcome&p=%28null%29

Sue,

Congratulations - Mazel Tov - happy grandmotherhood...etc., etc., etc.

How wonderful to have a new little girl to love. I have 4 grandsons so wouldn't know what to do with a girl, but I can dream :)

Hope Mom and Dad are doing well, too. Keep us posted on the details.

realproperty,

We won't be going to either Rhodes or Istanbul but WILL visit the Jewish Ghetto in Venice and the 2nd oldest Sephardic Synogogue in Europe in Dubrovnik. Incidently, by recognizing a typical jewish last name among folks on our Roll Call for the Celebrity Millennium, we are planning to visit both of the places I mentioned with them. Neither of us asked the other if we were Jewish - it just happened....

I think this new thread will serve a purpose but hope it doesn't isolate us or keep us from enjoying the experience of meeting and learning about the backgrounds of others as we travel.

We're almost packed and leaving in 4 days for Quito, Ecuador then off to the Galapagos 2 days later. Excited is an understatement...we are so ready to be there and see all that there is to see. Imagine, we'll be snorkeling with sea lions, seeing blue footed boobies and visiting the last known tortoise of a species found only in the Galapagos. I'm afraid you'll never shut me up when I return.

Whatever we decide to call the thread, I agree with realproperty. Princess does not have a monopoly on Jewish cruisers. Where do we want to start the thread? Maybe in Family Cruises? After all, aren't we all mishpocheh? (I know, Derf. It means extended family. Well, we sort of are, aren't we?)

Spengle (Sheila?)

Have a wonderful trip, it sounds just incredible! Take loads of photos so we can all "Ooh! and Ahh!" when you come back!

Thanks everyone for all the mazel-tovs, this is such a great thread please if we move elsewhere and I'm off changing nappies can someone e-mail me? (It's my screen name, sueredland, @aol.com) thanks.

Love Sue x

Guest enjoycruises

Boker Tov mishpocheh! Derf, that's a combo of Hebrew and Yiddish.

Realproperty DID start a new thread....."Who goes to Shabbat services"? He did this last nite. I don't know if he intends to make that the "offshoot" of this thread or is it just a new thread?

Have a great day all. I am back to work today after being off of work since the 21st for my surgery.

As a Celebrity cruiser, I'd like to see the thread in a more general space. Either Family or some other easy to access place. Then we can post the thread here several times so that anyone who wishes to join can find us.... what fun....

Only 3 more days to go, then quiet from me for awhile.

Sheila

it can go anywhere. I never look in Family cruising since it is mostly about travelling with kids and all about diapers and keeping toddlers happy. It is possibly more Cruise rituals but I don't know what the popularity of that section is either. If you visit the Celebrity section a lot, why not have the post in both places and cross reference them. We frankly find most of our friends gravitating to RCL, Celebrity and Princess when they cruise so a posting on them indicating that there is a post on Princess may work or just start 3 different threads. Could be interesting.

I'd hate to dilute the discussion by having 3 threads. Suggest we find a 'home' and then post on all cruise boards letting folks know where 'we' are....could be a very rich discussion board (hopefully including cruise discussions as well as our general discussions)

You are right, 3 sites is too many, one on a specific cruise line is too limiting. Is my Shabbat topic too specific, what about "Exploring Jewish Sites" or "Cruising Jewish" .

It has to be parked somewhere and maybe, once it is there, others on cruise boards will direct others to it.

It is early enough to move it over and give people time to find it.

I missed a day or two, and look what happened! :eek:

FIRST - I was the one who used the Y word, and by no means meant to be offensive - so if I do owe anybody an apology, please accept this one as sincere.

If I might offer another thought - I find that many non-Jews find our referring to ourselves as "the chosen people" is offensive to them, so we might want to bear that in mind.

If is has not been finalized yet, I'd like to suggest Jewish Cruisers. It's simple and direct.

Mazel Tov, Sue. How wonderful for you and your family.

I agree we do need to find one spot for this thread, but have no ideas on what would be best, sorry!

I do find the thought of visiting Jewish sites while cruising intriging. For some reason, it never occurred to me. Strange, since we do try to do that when travelling in the US. What a great idea.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived