Saving chairs: a modest proposal

bshow

Hi, I am new to the cruising thing, but was bought up with manners. I am a little worried because I have never had to be very assertive to gain a seat for my son and my self, but all this talk has me wondering if I am going to e constantly moving or getting up from someones"SAVED SEAT" I have only gotten ugly one and that was at the Lorax because someone tried 4 differnet ways to get his seat while he was getting cola's. I really don't want to spend all of my time relaxing in a corner somewhere when I should have a little bit of time Not Whole Days at the prime chair space. Any suggestions?? I always have been tooooo kind!! but I am fixing that too..LOLOLO:confused::D:p

Before I cruise,,I liek to go to borads aobut cruising to keep up with the latest news, what ma have chagned since my last trip, refreshing my brain about things and the mindset of other cruisers. I have been on this board actively for a few weeks in prep for my cruise with that in mind this statement:

I propose that Carnival enforce the existing rules......

Has to be followed up by someone (I am just savng that someone time,,this is not from me at all,,its just one of those statements that HAS to occur in one of these threads)

There are no rules,,only guidelines.

I will play devil's advocate,,,so you leave at noon but you have a sign you stole yesterday stating you left at 1 and leave that on your chair.

Like I say - not perfect. But if you leave that one at 8AM and it is now 11AM it ain't go to work right. As to a lot of the posts - THEY don't enforce the rules so what is a solution.

On our recent Miracle cruise, the chairs on the Serenity Deck were very hard to come by. I got up (as I normally do) at 6 am, went up to get myself a lounge chair. A woman came up around the same time as me, and 'secured' 4 lounge chairs, side by side by side...with towels, books, whatever she had....plus, on the opposite side of the serenity deck, secured 4 more loungers. That woman sat there ALL ALONE until 11 AM!!!!! No one complained, no one took her things...and what surprised me the most was when her companions finally showed, they were surprised and shocked and in awe of their friend that could do such a wonderful thing! I shook my head in disgust. Should I have said something to her? I didn't want to get 'into it' with her, but I thought it was very rude and inconsiderate. THAT is the epitome of chair hogging, IMO!

On our recent Miracle cruise, the chairs on the Serenity Deck were very hard to come by. I got up (as I normally do) at 6 am, went up to get myself a lounge chair. A woman came up around the same time as me, and 'secured' 4 lounge chairs, side by side by side...with towels, books, whatever she had....plus, on the opposite side of the serenity deck, secured 4 more loungers. That woman sat there ALL ALONE until 11 AM!!!!! No one complained, no one took her things...and what surprised me the most was when her companions finally showed, they were surprised and shocked and in awe of their friend that could do such a wonderful thing! I shook my head in disgust. Should I have said something to her? I didn't want to get 'into it' with her, but I thought it was very rude and inconsiderate. THAT is the epitome of chair hogging, IMO!

i would have told that ignoramous that if the chairs were not occupied in ten minutes, i was going to take them

I propose that Carnival enforce the existing rules......

I totally agree with you! I just don't think it would ever happen!:D

I don't usually sit by the pool so it isn't an issue with me. I have, in the past, however, in the Serenity area, removed personal belonging and put them on a table next to the chair. I've had people come back and I just say, "Sorry I've been here for 30 mins. (or however long I've been there) and since no one came I put your stuff on the table there. But you are welcome to have your seat back." Then I calmly get up and leave and I've never had a problem. Sometimes people will say, "Sorry it took me longer than I thought." and I'll say, "Not a problem, enjoy yourself." or I'll have people give me dirty looks. No problem, because I don't engage those types, I just get up and leave and if anyone ever did give me grief, I'd tell them to "Take it up with the pool person."

In the spirit of compromise, I suggest the following seat saving policy:

Each person may reserve up to two seats: the one they are in, plus one additional seat adjacent.

If you are not presently in a seat, you are not reserving any. Your stuff doesn't reserve a seat.

The "one additional" allows you to hold your friend's seat while he or she is away.

This would apply to deck chairs, shows, bars, etc.

Discuss.

I think you're preaching to the choir. Those of who are not chair hogs would already do this. People who are chair hogs are not going to change their patterns, regardless :rolleyes:

In the spirit of compromise, I suggest the following seat saving policy:

Each person may reserve up to two seats: the one they are in, plus one additional seat adjacent.

If you are not presently in a seat, you are not reserving any. Your stuff doesn't reserve a seat.

The "one additional" allows you to hold your friend's seat while he or she is away.

This would apply to deck chairs, shows, bars, etc.

Discuss.

Well not really fair to solo cruisers...

on the other hand groups could save whole rows and rows with YOUR BOGO (buy one get one) idea and that would be a real mess!

JMO >> not a good idea

I personally have not had all the chair hog problems that many here seem to have (then again I don't like the main pool and prefer to watch a hairy chest contest from the rail of the serenity deck etc)

Really Carnival should step up and have their workers move the sunbaking books and towels after 30 -45 minutes. I am not "loyal to Royal" but I must say their security/deck people do a better job.

I saw them "collecting" some towels off chairs in the "Solarium"

I wuold buy your proposal,,but wear your fireproof shorts because this will get ugly.

Here is one that will come up:

There are 10 in our party. Why can't one of us set out 9 oranges in the showroom and save the seats for all of our party? Why would we have to send 5 people to do the job that 9 oranges could do?

And that is just one reply that will be here

I dont like oranges :(

that being said, Carnival should enforce the rule they have now. those that save usually dont have manners and will fight the removal of their oranges. either be prepared for that or find another seat and try not to let it bother you

I think everyone is missing the point. I don't think one can sleep the day away, get up at noon, and expect to show up and get a prime chair by the pool. And all you have is claiming the problem is chair hogs.

Answer to all your complaints - get your butts out of bed earlier.

I see the no saving seats for the shows, but what happens when you and your 3 friends are sitting there,

one decides to get up and buy a bingo card

Yes we had the best seats in the house, as we had family in the Legends show, so we came early (all of us)

now comes a big woman who thinks she should have that very seat right in the middle of what would have been the four of us.

Plops herself down and says...No saving seats.

No joke, she never did leave and we squeezed our friend back into the row.

Really, would you call that saving a seat or just plain ignorance of this woman?

It didn't seem to bother her one bit that she was now sitting in a hostile environment.

To me once we said our friend was off buying her bingo card, that should have been enough for this woman to find another seat.

If this was on the Spirit last month I think I know the woman you're talking about. There was a HUGE woman who could walk, but used a scooter most of the time, who commandeered a chair on the Serenity deck in a very rude way. In her defense, she was *right* in that situation, in that a guy was saving the chair with a towel for well over a half hour. However, she could not have been more rude about how she handled the situation. She started yelling at him right off the bat. The guy stayed cool and had no problem removing the towel and giving up the chair, but she kept on him for another few minutes. The guy and his wife eventually turned their chairs away from her and she quieted down a little. I couldn't believe it... I don't think the guy said a single word, just removed the towel when she started yelling. She yelled at him for easily 4-5 minutes...

I'm so glad I'm not like that... :D

Here's the fix to the problem: people need to stop feeling the need to sit in the same exact spot all day / week. The only reason anybody's stuff should be on a chair is if they are in the pool or hot tub (and that's only because there isn't any cubbies to put your stuff otherwise).

Need to get up to go to the bathroom? Take your stuff.

Want to grab a bite for lunch? Take your stuff.

Want to go take a nap for a few hours? Take your stuff!

There will be seats when you return!

I think everyone is missing the point. I don't think one can sleep the day away, get up at noon, and expect to show up and get a prime chair by the pool. And all you have is claiming the problem is chair hogs.

Answer to all your complaints - get your butts out of bed earlier.

On the contrary Lucky, I think YOU are missing the point. Chair hogs will get up at 5AM and go put one item on a chair to save it. Some put one item on several chairs. THEN, they go about their business. Some might even go back to bed :eek: Then, some time later, usually hours later, they will show up to claim "their" chair. THAT is a chair hog, and truly has nothing to do with getting up early or first come, first served. Rather, about a selfish, entitled brat who is chronologically an adult, but emotionally about 7.

Simply suggestion to make this work. Switch seats every 29 minutes to the other seats. Or lay sideways across the bottom of4 chairs. Never says only 1 chair per person, and if it does noones going to make you move.

I have been gone for my seat for sometime, but always come back withen the 30 mins. I may sit there for a minute and dissappear for some more time. What gives you the right to the chair?

I find it extremely hard to believe that noone on this forum never leaves there chair for more then 30 minutes.

On the contrary Lucky, I think YOU are missing the point. Chair hogs will get up at 5AM and go put one item on a chair to save it. Some put one item on several chairs. THEN, they go about their business. Some might even go back to bed :eek: Then, some time later, usually hours later, they will show up to claim "their" chair. THAT is a chair hog, and truly has nothing to do with getting up early or first come, first served. Rather, about a selfish, entitled brat who is chronologically an adult, but emotionally about 7.

Line of the week,,bravo.

Harboring a little anger are we? I'm actually half kidding but am getting so annoyed with so many chair hog threads that I thought I would stir the pot. I look at the posts on Princess and Royal Carribean and dont see any such threads going on.

I think points have been made and you all need to move on.

Simply suggestion to make this work. Switch seats every 29 minutes to the other seats. Or lay sideways across the bottom of4 chairs. Never says only 1 chair per person, and if it does noones going to make you move.

I have been gone for my seat for sometime, but always come back withen the 30 mins. I may sit there for a minute and dissappear for some more time. What gives you the right to the chair?

I find it extremely hard to believe that noone on this forum never leaves there chair for more then 30 minutes.

As a matter of fact, being acutely aware of the rules, if DH or I are going to be gone greater than 30 minutes (I cannot fathom what would take > 30 minutes if we are alone), then we DO pick up our stuff and give the seats to someone else. Do I leave my chair for 5-15 minutes to go cool off under a shower, grab a beverage or a bite to eat? Sure. But am always back in the chair in (much) less than 30 minutes. There are rules, you see.

Harboring a little anger are we? I'm actually half kidding but am getting so annoyed with so many chair hog threads that I thought I would stir the pot. I think points have been made and you all need to move on.

Heck no, I could care less. I am not a chair hog, nor do we EVER want prime property near the pool. I was merely commenting on your suggestion that this is about people being too lazy to "get up early enough to get the chairs". You're the one making the point, not me.

To correct myself.....emotionally about 3.

See the "Toddler's Rules of Ownership" below and see if you don't agree:

1. If I like it, it's mine.

2. If it's in my hand, it's mine.

3. If I can take it from you, it's mine.

4. If I had it a little while ago, it's mine.

5. If it's mine, it must never appear to be yours in any way.

6. If I'm doing or building something, all the pieces are mine.

7. If it looks just like mine, it is mine.

8. If I saw it first, it's mine.

9. If you are playing with something and you put it down, it automatically becomes mine.

10. If it's broken, it's yours.

11. If it's broken, but you are having fun playing with the pieces, it's mine again.

12. If there is ANY doubt, it's mine.

As a matter of fact, being acutely aware of the rules, if DH or I are going to be gone greater than 30 minutes (I cannot fathom what would take > 30 minutes if we are alone), then we DO pick up our stuff and give the seats to someone else. Do I leave my chair for 5-15 minutes to go cool off under a shower, grab a beverage or a bite to eat? Sure. But am always back in the chair in (much) less than 30 minutes. There are rules, you see.

Ever leave your seat in the Serenity area for 5-15 minutes?

I was out on the pool deck at 7:45 am on the last sea day. I found a single lounge chair that didn't have an object on it--however, the back was folded down toward the seat. An hour later a woman came and was upset because she had saved the chair. I said it was empty. She said it was folded down. I guess we now need ESP in order to know which chairs have been saved. I didn't move.

Archived