trains from Livorno

cookyb

they run on time and are clean and cheap. french trains on the other hand (locals not cross country, suck) if you go to trentitalia website it is unfortunatly hard to figure out and traverse. i called the american express office in rome (under the spanish steps) all the staff are italian but speak perfect english and can obtain the schedules train numbers and prices for you. a 15 minute call cost me 4 dollars, the best money i ever spent. i called back later for info on two hotels in rome and they directed me to the better of the two even though the other ones website made it look better.

We were in Livorno last May and many passengers took the train to Florence. It can be a bit rushed to get to Florence and back in a day but then again it all depends on how much time you have in port. There is one thing you should be aware of. The railway station is not within walking distance of the port. Many people took the $ ship's shuttle to the center part of town and then took a local bus or walked to the train station. I have a secret for you - consider going to Lucca, the walled Etruscan town where you can walk the walls. Again, easilly accessible by train, connecting at Pisa.

Archived