Has anyone used travel insurance for cruise doctor?

R&K in NC

I am looking at different travel insurances and one state that I need to buy within 15 days of deposit to exclude preexisting conditions. I noticed that it also said it covered reasonable and customary charges. My normal health insurance covers this also but I know that the ship doctor charges exceed this on someone elses at work and they work stuck paying a larger amount. Has anyone unfortunately had to use their travel insurance at the ship doctor and did you have to pay over because of the reasonable and customary? Also, do you pay any charges then get reimbursed?

I am knew to travel insurance but feel like I need to insure especially if something happened that you need airlifted. I am looking at travelguard.

Thanks for any help. I need to purchase by Thursday for the preexisting clause.

Keep in mind that while your insurance carrier MAY pay for charges out of the country, depending on what type of insurance you have, it could be a small portion that they cover. I have not used it for the ships doctor, but I would imagine depending on what you went to the ship doctor for would make the difference as to what is covered. Different policies are going to have different procedures... if it is covered, you will just file a claim and they will reimburse... you may want to talk to the specific company to find out exactly what is covered, and also check your personal policy... good luck!

Archived