Grand Cayman snorkel at Eden Rock or Cemetary Beach

mariaw8889

I prefer Eden Rock since the coral is healthier (not really healthy, but healthier) and the fish counts are usually much higher. It is a deeper water snorkel, so you don't really get up close to anything unless you free dive a little bit.

Cemetery Beach section of Seven Mile Beach has a very nice stretch of beach going for it. The better snorkeling there is about 100 yds off shore, but you can see some interesting things a bit closer in. Coral is mostly dead, but there are still decent amount of fish about.

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer Eden Rock because it is easy to get to from the tender pier. When you are tired of snorkeling you walk back or go shopping. From 7 Mile beach you have to grab a cab.

The coral is kind of so so, but you can have a lot of fun if you prepare ahead in secret. At breakfast grab a box of Sugar Corn Pops and pour the contents into a ziplock bag. While snorkeling, get out in front of your victim and reach into the bag and grab some corn pops and let them go right in front of the target. There will be an instant feeding frenzy with your former friend right in the middle of it.

I did that to a friend and she swore an oath of bloody vengence on me (which I have yet to see) and I damn near drowned laughing so hard.

I've done it while diving, too and fish come from miles around when they see those yellow pops.

ken

The coral is kind of so so, but you can have a lot of fun if you prepare ahead in secret. At breakfast grab a box of Sugar Corn Pops and pour the contents into a ziplock bag. While snorkeling, get out in front of your victim and reach into the bag and grab some corn pops and let them go right in front of the target. There will be an instant feeding frenzy with your former friend right in the middle of it.

I did that to a friend and she swore an oath of bloody vengence on me (which I have yet to see) and I damn near drowned laughing so hard.

I've done it while diving, too and fish come from miles around when they see those yellow pops.

ken

Feeding marine fish Sugar Corn Pops is not an environmentally friendly activity. Most divers and snorkelers know better. :(

The fish are not living in your own personal aquarium and entering foreign foods into the reef ecosystem is only going to accelerate making the "so-so" coral dead-dead.

feeding marine fish sugar corn pops is not an environmentally friendly activity. Most divers and snorkelers know better. :(

the fish are not living in your own personal aquarium and entering foreign foods into the reef ecosystem is only going to accelerate making the "so-so" coral dead-dead.

well said!

We didn't see that many fish when we were at Eden Rock a couple of weeks ago. But we decided we should have asked the people there where the best spot to go was located. We went more off to the left [as you face the water]; I think there was more to see over to the right. We were somewhat worried about the tenders from the NCL ship that was anchored nearby, though.

I agree about feeding the fish. There are plenty to see without "contaminating" the environment or their natural habitat.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just a little further out from Eden Rock is Devil's Grotto. Look for the orange buoys we saw school of over 100 blue tang & squid schools among others. As others have said the coral iasn't the best but there's a lot to be said for getting off the ship & walking to a pretty good snorkeling spot.

After those two spots we walked to Hammerheads bar & snorkeled out to the ship wreck of the Cali? just off their deck 100 yards? It's super convenient & free. There are also huge Tarpon hanging underwater around the bar's deck. Of course you should enjoy a couple tasty Cali Light Beers at the bar afterwards! :D

Archived