Grand Cayman

travsmom

Lately I have talked to people that were on a cruise in Grand Cayman and they said that they were told not to go in certain areas. They said there were guards with guns. They said it was past some stores(shopping area). I have never heard this before. Is it getting bad there too.I always heard this was a very safe place. One couple said a police officer told them not to go past a certain point that it was dangerous.Can anyone tell me what area this might have been in? I hope it is not right in the tourist area. I am booked to go there in Dec. Thanks for any information.

Lately I have talked to people that were on a cruise in Grand Cayman and they said that they were told not to go in certain areas. They said there were guards with guns.

Grand Cayman? Guards with guns? Well, heaven's knows there is a lot of cash and jewelry in that place.

Grand Cayman, safer than Main Street USA... unless things have dramatically changed in the past few years.

Has there been a coup?

I was there a year ago, and it was the same ole "safer and cleaner than home" place it always was. If I ever win the motto, I am moving there.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

We can be neighbors!

OP- I haven't heard anything like that....

I am willing to bet a Guy's burger they were talking about Belize and not Grand Cayman.

Our first time in Belize we left the Fort Street Village and wandered.. yes soldiers with m-16's on some corners. Best not to leave the shopping area unless you are on a tour.

Grand Cayman however we walked everywhere (even outside the tourist district) and took the locals bus all over the island. Only sketchy character we ecountered was the cute little devil man in Hell ("How the hell are you? ;-)

GC is the safest feeling island I've ever been to. Told my husband several times that I want to move there, and i swear if i had the money we would be moving tomorrow!

I'm with you. I've often thought about buying a condo there. I've checked prices when we've sailed there and they have better prices on condos on the beach than we do inland here in Orange County, CA

Ditto on what TurtleTagger said.

Private security guards definitely do not carry firearms in Cayman and only a few of the police do.

The courthouse is downtown, a short walk from the port area, and the armed police might occasionally be seen there when transferring a prisoner to/from court. The armed officers certainly are not there on a routine basis.

I found that in Jamaica/Ocho Rios ... guards with guns watching the cruise ship swimmers from towers keeping the locals away ... we hated it ...couldn't go anywhere without being bothered by locals pleading for money or to buy goods from them... I'll never get off the ship there again... didn't feel safe at all.

Archived