Early Embarkation/Debarkation

rlsii488

Just a wee bit over a week and my Husband and I will be boarding on the Equinox. I can hardly wait!

Our first cruise with Celebrity was out of Fort Lauderdale, we were in a deluxe balcony cabin. Well we booked our next cruise before our cruise was over. Again, we booked a balcony cabin. Well, to make a long story short, with all the price drops and additional promotions we received after transferring our cruise to a travel agent, we are now in Concierge class. The cabins don't look to be much different, and that's fine. I'm thrilled, even though some cruisers feel the "perks" aren't that terrific. My feeling, I've got the greatest perk being on the Celebrity ship! Anyway, we noticed on our last Celebrity cruise boarding was a snap, we were drinking our complimentary sparkling wine and in our cabin by 11:00 a.m., and sitting down in Bistro on 5 by noon. (By the way, a fabulous way to start the trip). Anyway, a perk with Concierge is early embarkation. My question is how early? I don't care if the cabin is ready, I just want to be onboard. :D

That is one of the perks that is pretty much fluff. You will not be able to board any earlier. When you check in at the cruise terminal, there will be a dedicated line for Concierge Class. Often this line is longer than the general boarding line, so be sure to check which line is shorter. At best it will shave 2-3 minutes of the check in process. On some cruises over 80% of people qualify for this "perk" as it is given to Concierge Class, Aqua Class, Suites, Select Captain's Club and Elite Captain's Club.

That is one of the perks that is pretty much fluff. You will not be able to board any earlier. When you check in at the cruise terminal, there will be a dedicated line for Concierge Class. Often this line is longer than the general boarding line, so be sure to check which line is shorter. At best it will shave 2-3 minutes of the check in process. On some cruises over 80% of people qualify for this "perk" as it is given to Concierge Class, Aqua Class, Suites, Select Captain's Club and Elite Captain's Club.

Ha! I was expecting the man that feels Miami is a scary port to give his thought on this.

Thank you......though too bad. It'd be nice to board as others are getting off. I quess it's obvious we can't wait for the cruise. hahahaha

Greetings

We just got off the Equinox on Friday, so I think I can help at least a little. There are separate check-in lines for various decks of the ship. If you have CC then you will be directed to one of the lines for the upper decks. There was probably a small time advantage, but not significant. After boarding, it seemed that the cabins were ready on the upper decks first. The cabins were reported to be available after 1:30, but after a quick lunch we went up to deck 10 and found our cabin ready at around 12:15. The cabin areas on the lower decks were still closed.

We chose the early disembarkation, which was very quick and easy. You have to take your own luggage with you and it began at about 7:15. I was very surprised at the number of older people choosing this option. We were off the ship, through customs and awaiting the parking shuttle at 7:45.

You will love the Equinox, she is a great ship with an outstanding crew.

Good Sailing

Tom

Ha! I was expecting the man that feels Miami is a scary port to give his thought on this.

Thank you......though too bad. It'd be nice to board as others are getting off. I quess it's obvious we can't wait for the cruise. hahahaha

I was just being facetious about the Miami comment. :D

Lots of the Caribbean ports seem scary in the area right near the port, but are completely different once you venture away from the touristy area. Miami likely has higher crime rates than most ports people listed as scary, but I am a city person (lived in Boston, New Orleans and Chicago always in the city) so I feel safe just about anywhere. Bethlehem is truly the only place I have ventured to on a cruise that caused me to feel a bit creeped out, but still was not too bad.

Have a great cruise; I love Equinox. Be sure to check out the Molecular Bar and the Hot Glass Show!

I was just being facetious about the Miami comment. :D

Lots of the Caribbean ports seem scary in the area right near the port, but are completely different once you venture away from the touristy area. Miami likely has higher crime rates than most ports people listed as scary, but I am a city person (lived in Boston, New Orleans and Chicago always in the city) so I feel safe just about anywhere. Bethlehem is truly the only place I have ventured to on a cruise that caused me to feel a bit creeped out, but still was not too bad.

Have a great cruise; I love Equinox. Be sure to check out the Molecular Bar and the Hot Glass Show!

Well, as an adult, I've spent many summers in the Boston area....well on the Cape. Boston may not be a "port" but I must say, the highways are pretty darn scary. ;) We live 2 hours north of Miami in Vero Beach, I think the only time we visit Miami is to fly out; cruise out or drive through to a Jimmy Buffet concert.

I'm glad you mentioned the Hot Glass show. Did I read that the show may be discontinued....may be that I read in the future. I can't remember now. Also, even though the specialty restaurants are each unique in their own way, is there one that you would choose over the other. On the Constellation, I must admit the Tuscan Grille was good, but Ocean Liners was to die for. I think the table side service was a beautiful touch!

Greetings

We just got off the Equinox on Friday, so I think I can help at least a little. There are separate check-in lines for various decks of the ship. If you have CC then you will be directed to one of the lines for the upper decks. There was probably a small time advantage, but not significant. After boarding, it seemed that the cabins were ready on the upper decks first. The cabins were reported to be available after 1:30, but after a quick lunch we went up to deck 10 and found our cabin ready at around 12:15. The cabin areas on the lower decks were still closed.

We chose the early disembarkation, which was very quick and easy. You have to take your own luggage with you and it began at about 7:15. I was very surprised at the number of older people choosing this option. We were off the ship, through customs and awaiting the parking shuttle at 7:45.

You will love the Equinox, she is a great ship with an outstanding crew.

Good Sailing

Tom

Hey Tom.....is there anything that stands out that you would recommend to do in Columbia? I don't think my Husband and I want to venture too far out.

I do not think the Hot Glass Show is being discontinued; at least not anytime soon. I think that rumor started when Silhouette did not have the show, but I had heard that a big part of that is there is not enough glass blowers available to easily staff more than three ships at a time. I sure hope they keep in on Equinox, Solstice and Eclipse; it is a huge draw.

Murano is my favorite specialty venue on Equinox; it has a similar menu to Ocean Liners, but the M-Class version of this restaurant is a bit nicer. All the specialty restaurants are good, so you may want to sign up for the package on board where you dine in all three and receive a discounted rate.

Hey Tom.....is there anything that stands out that you would recommend to do in Columbia? I don't think my Husband and I want to venture too far out.

Sorry I'm not Tom, but

We took the Equinox 11 night in Jan

Cartagena is a beautiful city. You can take the water taxi right from the dock to the Old Town. You can do a walking tour, get something local to eat, drink.

We were pleasantly surprised by our day in Cartagena.

Have a good cruise.

Sorry I'm not Tom' date=' but

We took the Equinox 11 night in Jan

Cartagena is a beautiful city. You can take the water taxi right from the dock to the Old Town. You can do a walking tour, get something local to eat, drink.

We were pleasantly surprised by our day in Cartagena.

Have a good cruise.[/quote']

Thank you! We surely didn't want to stay onboard the entire time while docked there. This sounds like the water taxi may be a plan.

One other thing, is there shopping in that area? I'm kind of hoping to pick up an emerald if there are "deals" to be had.

Thank you! We surely didn't want to stay onboard the entire time while docked there. This sounds like the water taxi may be a plan.

One other thing, is there shopping in that area? I'm kind of hoping to pick up an emerald if there are "deals" to be had.

Greetings

The water taxis are no longer running. There are plans for their return, but plans are plans.

We took a taxi to the old city. They were readily available inside the port area for $20 for up to 4 people. Make sure they know that you don't want a tour or they will try to take you different places for $30/person. Taxis are cheaper outside the port area, but it was just easier for us to take the ones there.

The old city was quite nice. There were many places selling emeralds, but I don't know if they were a good deal. The old city has many street vendors, but we never felt overwhealmed by them. The ones at the city entrance were more agressive than the ones inside the old city. The old city was clean and the old architecture was great to see. We spent most of the day there. We walked the entire old city, every street. We took a taxi back, this time only $10. Make sure you don't take the 1st offer. He said $20, I said $10 and we agreed. Probably could have got it cheaper, but I was tired by then and $10 seemed fine.

There are just a couple of shops in the port area. Nothing significant there. One tourist type "junk" store and one duty free. The liquor prices at the duty free were good, but the best liquor prices we found was right at the dock in Colon.

Good Sailing

Tom

Archived