Golfing From Belize

soo z q

My family and I will be cruising the Western Caribbean on the Carnival Legend in March 2006. Most of the group is going snorkelling, but my brother and I would like to try the golf excursion from the Belize port -- short plane ride to an island to golf. It's rather pricey, but it would be a "once in a lifetime" golf game. Has anyone had positive or negative experiences with this? .... any experiences?? :confused:

• 9 months later...

I went on this excursion two years ago and plan to go on it March 9, 2006 while sailing the Miracle if its offered. It was bar none one of the best golfing experiences of my life. I say this as an 8 handicap golfer who lives in Hilton Head, South Carolina where there are about 40 courses within 20 minutes of my house.

I was aprehensive about the price when I went the first time since it is usually not in my character to spend moret than $100 for a round of golf. It was worth every penny. $100 of the cost is for the plane ride. When you factor that in, the price to play is not outlandish at $135. Please make sure that you either bring decent clubs with you or are able to get or share some good ones from the ship. I had pro shop rentals that were circa the 70s. Were I not able to share the set of the guy I played with, it would have been miserable.

My wife went on the excursion as a rider only and also loved it. We played 18 holes in about 2.5 hours. With the extra time, a local took us snorkeling at no charge, after which we sipped on the best pina coladas of my life at the hut next to their irridescent tile covered swimming pool.

The plane ride almost made my wife pee in her pants. The plane was a single engine prop which held about 6 or 8 including the pilot. It took off from a dirt runway which was surrounded on three sides by water. You land on a runway that is very similar. You drive a golf cart right from the plane to the golf course, which was very cool. If you can manage with the plane ride, this is a golf trip of a lifetime which you will tell your friends about.

The island was so laid back that we didn't want to leave. Could have hung out by that pool for much longer.

Throw caution to the wind and have a great time.

Archived