Crown review; short but sweet

WhtAbtBob7

Thanks for the report! Leaving in 3 weeks from NY. Can't wait! Already packed!!!

Denise

11/10/00 Married my best friend aboard
Grandeur of the Seas

Bermuda on the Crown
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;6;27;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

Nice review Bob. Did you do the helmet diving thru NCL or on your own? (with who??)

also we have cabins on Laguna deck inside.. how is the lighting?, anything we need to remember to bring, hair dryer's , power strips?? enough storage space for a week? the location looks good for getting off of ship and getting in the main dining room.

Do they have charcoal grills cooking on deck any afternoons or evenings??

thanks for filling us in on your trip.
Chris Mitchell

16 Voyages completed 1999-2004, 81 wonderful days at sea
dreaming of ....
Norwegian Crown 8/04
Carnival Fascination 11/04

Chris, the helmet dive was thru NCL and we did it out of King's Wharf since we had extra time there. I don't know if we could have saved money on our own, but it was a nice trip with 16 passengers from our ship for about 3 hours. Since you are diving for about 25 minutes in groups of 6, that left plenty of time for sunning, swimming and chatting on board the boat. Convenient loading right outside the Crown, 50 yards from gangway.

The cabins on Laguna were quite comfortable for us, and midship, a short 1 or 2 stair flights right to the 2 main restaurants. I don't have enough hair to worry about the hair dryer [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img], but my wife said the airflow was weak and she would definitely bring her own dryer next time. I took a power strip but never used it, I guess it depends on your own needs. There is an outlet in the cabin near the TV and another 2 pronger in the bathroom. Plenty of storage, even for my wife, who loves to pack a months worth of shoes for the week! Exits in port were on deck 4, embarking and debarking were on deck 6, again very convenient. My only complaint with my room was the intercom for announcements didn't always work and the TV color was from the 50"s. Didn't really matter one bit though.

There was a grill at the pool during sail away, and at least one other day near the hot tubs and Cafe Italia. I can't remember if there were any other days.

Enjoy, wish I was going with you.

HI..
Thanks for the review. we just returned from seeing the ship in NY. I noticed the pool and sunning area is small. Do you recall other sunning spots on the ship.? ALso, was there e apool side band? and grilling?
Just curious!

THanks
MJ [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

The pool is very small, but there are far fewer passengers to share it. Unless alot of people didn't bother even attempting to use the pool because of the size, I never noticed a problem. Some negative comments, but no one sitting on top of each other in the water. Maybe the diaper wearing babies that some parents let in the water kept a few people out, considering the Crown's recent past problems(it did me).The hot tubs seemed to be free pretty much when you wanted, or just a short wait.

Besides the pool area on deck 7, there are 2 hot tubs on deck 10 with plenty of room and a sunning deck on 11. There are several other smaller areas to sit/lay on 8 and 9. It was a hassle during sea days securing a chaise lounge, but we went out early and didn't have a problem ourselves, at least until someone stole mine when I got up to grab a bite to eat 50 feet away at the outdoor Cafe Italia.

There was a 3 piece band playing mostly island type music near the pool occassionally, added a nice touch. Grilling was done on at least 2 days, one by the pool and the other at the hot tubs. There may have been a second day at the hot tub, I can't recall.

Archived