Transatlantic Nov 2012

Hello, we are doing our first Transatlantic this Nov from Barcelona to Miami and was wondering what to expect for weather this time of year. Just wondering if or when the weather will start to warm up. Will we be able to use the pool at all ?

Thanks in advance

:)

Every Transatlantic can have its own quirks, when we did a similar trip the weather was great, sun was shining, and the sea was flat. Everyday was a pool day. However we have also had friends that have had a less weather friendly experience.

Hello, we are doing our first Transatlantic this Nov from Barcelona to Miami and was wondering what to expect for weather this time of year. Just wondering if or when the weather will start to warm up. Will we be able to use the pool at all ?

Thanks in advance

:)

I Suggest you go to Weather Underground or some similar site and look at the historical weather for your ports on the dates you will be there. I am not aware of any site that will give you historical weather for the open ocean [at least not for free]. That should give you a fair idea of what to expect.

Barcelona to Miami is a fairly southern route, I think you stop in the Canaries. Tenerife is a little less than 200 miles off the coast of Saharan Africa. So I suspect you will have at least some days the pools are in use.

Edited to add: we loved our TA on Independence, but we were headed east in April so can't really correlate our experience to your itinerary. Anyway, we loved the cruise [still our favorite]. Hope your experience is just as great.

Tenerife is a little less than 200 miles off the coast of Saharan Africa.

November should be late enough (in most years) to avoid the upper air waves than come westward off the Sahara. These are hot dry impulses (often with sand storms) that head west and then pick up moisture & spin - often turning into tropical depresions. Sometimes these evolve into tropical storms and even hurricanes but less so that late. But the water will still be warm from summer heating so has more energy to pop up local storms. But it all depends on the sea surface and air temperatures and sort of like like in the Pacific where there is the El Nino effect (ENSO) there is a North Atlantic Oscillation (NAO) (mostly of air masses) that comes into play as well (plus effect from the Arctic Oscillation- AO) has an effect late in the season due to jet stream patterns over North America. It gets pretty complicated to know in advance for a particular year but at least November is the tail end of the usual storm season.

We did a TA from Southhampton to Ft Lauderdale in November of 2009. Crossing the channel and the first few days was a little windy and cooler, temps in the 50s. Once we traveled south towards Malaga, the weather turned much warmer. The entire crossing was very warm and calm seas. It did get a little chillier at night, but a great weather anyway.

I have to tell you that it was the most relaxing cruise I have ever taken. I would do it again in a heartbeat. We are looking a B2B Med and Transatlantic in 2013 or 2014.

Archived