VCR Alert: Queen Mary 2 on The Discovery Channel Saturday Noon EST

TPKeller

I saw parts of this last night. It was pretty good. You may want to set your VCRs!

Covers the design, construction, fitting out, sea trials and crew/staff training.

Blurb on TDC web site

Theron

click to e-mail me

Explorer of the Seas 9/27/03 Western

Celebrity Century 9/28/02 Eastern (Thanks to Lili)

Cruise Tip Calculator - Calculate the amount and type of bills you need to stuff your tipping envelopes:

http://members.aol.com/CruiseTip/

I watched this program earlier today on tape and I have to say it was not bad. Actually by mass media standards it was astoundingly good, but it was not perfect either.

There were a few rather large errors:

1. She does not weigh 150,000 tons. (The common misconception that gross tonnage = weight is a big pet peeve of mine.) I nearly wanted to put my fist through the TV set on hearing that one at the beginning of the program!

2. She is not the first passenger ship with more than two bow thrusters. They should have asked Stephen Payne, he's designed plenty of others...

3. She is not the first "green ship" with a zero-discharge policy. As far as I know all the major cruise lines' ships have had such a policy for some time now.

4. She is not the largest ship in the world. That honor goes to the supertanker JAHRE VIKING at 260,851 GT compared to QM2's 148,528. She is "only" the largest passenger ship.

5. (This was pointed out to my by someone else so I can't take credit for noticing it) - She is not the most powerful passenger ship in the world. That honor still goes to SS UNITED STATES.

There were a few other minor errors but for the most part I was almost convinced that the person writing actually new something about ships.

Still, it was generally a very good program, and if you are interested in ships and haven't watched it, I'd certainly make a point of doing so.

It does not, however, compare favorably with a (much longer) film that Royal Caribbean had comissioned for VOYAGER OF THE SEAS, which was far more detailed and did not contain any blatant errors that I can recall. This is a shame; as a liner nut as I am frankly much more interested in QM2!

Doug Newman

Cruise Critic Message Boards Host

e-mail: shiploverny AT yahoo DOT com

Thanks for replying.. I was starting to think I was posting invisible messages! icon_confused.gif

Theron

click to e-mail me

Cruise Tip Calculator - Calculate the amount and type of bills you need to stuff your tipping envelopes:

TPKeller, That is funny that you mentioned this. The only reason I didn't reply to your thoughtful post is that I had just replied to a similar post and decided that since most of my posts get ignored anyway, I wouldn't add my name to another thread. I for one plan on watching tomorrow. Thank you.

Zenith from Jacksonville

Feb. 13 05

icon_wink.gif

Hee hee... it's just funny... dkjretired posted a similar thing an hour after I did... I was just making fun of that... There are so many things here, it would take a long time to make sure you weren't posting a duplicate!

Theron

click to e-mail me

TPKeller, Some of us have been on these boards for a long time. I remember asking you two years ago who the little character was in your avator because he used to be one of my favorites. They had taken him out of our local paper. I did remember Calvin and Hobbs right before you next post. Again, good luck with getting your Century cruise together.

Zenith from Jacksonville

Feb. 13 05

TP:

When I posted my thread, yours did not appear on my computer screen. I purposely checked to see if there were similiar postings. Nothing surprises me lately with the way these boards have been running.

Don

Hey Don,

I know exactly what you mean! Maybe I was a little jealous that people were replying to yours and not mine! icon_wink.gif Of course, if mine went absent for a while... maybe that's why too!

It's on now, if anyone wants to tune in!

Theron

click to e-mail me

Hey Doug,

The narrator said this about the azipods: Of the 50 or so ships that have azipods, about 75% have had trouble with them.

Obviously the M class Celebrity ships have had huge problems... do you know if his statement is true? That's a lot of problems!

Theron

click to e-mail me

Archived