lunch in Cassis

gizmodog

The (very picturesque) harbour (the Quai des Baux) is ringed with restaurants. We had a reasonably-priced, good (not great, but good, with nice shade, and a great view) lunch at "8 1/2" ("huit-et-demi"in French--"wheat-eh-dumee")(full of posters of Fellini movies). Most of the other restaurants looked like a bigger deal (and, no doubt, a bigger bill).

Just up from the harbour, on the Avenue Victor Hugo, is one of my favourite French stores, La Cure Gourmande---cookies, candies, local specialities, et cetera---love the Provencal specialities, like the Calissons (marzipan-like candies), and the chocolate olives.

Enjoy Provence!

Kevin

If you're a foodie, La Villa Madie is the only Michelin-starred restaurant in Cassis. It's slightly outside the harbour area. It does a very reasonably priced set lunch. More details: http://www.marseille-provence.info/gastronomy-food-gastronomie-drink-wine-cuisine-bars-restaurants-bistros/restaurants-cafes-bistros/343-cassis-la-villa-madie.html

On the port, locals seem to favour La Poissonnerie, a fish-shop with restaurant attached. Personally, I find it rather over-priced -- it's traditional home cooking with, of course, very fresh fish, but expect to pay a good 40 euros a head. On a recent visit to Cassis, I thought Romano, also on the harbour, looked interesting with an imaginative menu but I haven't tried it yet.

Archived