Leaving suitcases in the car in San Juan

AMAC86

Haha, this thread makes me wonder where some of the posters are from. Some sort of gated community with security guards patrolling 24/7? :D

So I guess is there a definitive time when I can start leaving my bags at the ship? Somebody mentioned 10 or 10:30AM? When will I know?

I don't live in a gated community, crime is up everywhere. It would be terrible to have everything stolen out of your car before you even get to cruise. When I was in Hawaii I saw an entire family lose all of their plane tickets, IDs, Travelers checks and cash stolen from their car and they were right there, had their backs turned and someone broke in from the other side of the car.

Oh, I would still rent a car to tour around Puerto Rico outside of San Juan, but not for sightseeing in San Juan. It simply would not be a practical way to do it.

I would not rent a car to tour Manhattan Island in New York either, although there are undoubtedly some who do it there too.

Is it a bad idea to leave suitcases unattended in a rental car (perhaps in plain view) when touring the San Juan area? I'm not sure what sort of town San Juan is.

I will not leave suitcases unattended in San Juan, New York, Madrid or any other city. But if you only want to do some touring in the Old San Juan area, I might have an option for you. The "Hotel El Convento"valet parking is a small and expensive parking that you can use. The Cathedral and the valet parking are located just in front of the hotel. Maybe you can leave the car there and explain the situation to the attendant, and give him a good tip too. I always use valet parkings, the young men that work there are usually college students who work part time. They always take good care of my car, and more than once I realized that my children have left valuables inside the car, and never had anything stolen. Just two days ago I had to go to the mall and wanted to leave my computer in my car. I just had to show the attendant where the computer was, and I didn't have any problems.

I'm confused, do you really think you can find a place to park in San Juan?

Yes, but wear two of everything (one layer of formal dress), leave the luggage on the back seat, don't lock the car, and you'll "lighten your load".

Have a wonderful tour of San Juan and enjoy your cruise.

Maris

Use good sense when visiting anywhere. Google "crime in S.J." and see what you get. Escalating murder rate along with petty and felony crimes. Higher rate of crime than many U.S. cities. So high that the tourist industry is worried... Don't leave fifty cents laying on the console or you'll be paying the rental company for a window. Leave nothing in sight and look for a rental company tag on the bumper. If you find it, take it off... The knuckleheads know what cars to look for... And finally, don't trust the valet drivers either.

Archived