toning down lipstick shade?

I just posted that I found the perfect nail color, the only problem is I like to match my nail and lip colors, and the lip color is WAY bright. now, am I either just too used to wearing dark shades or is bright lipstick OK? incase you're curious, it's "Most Honorable Red" by OPI, a bright coral color. the picture makes it look "red red", but it is more of a coral in actuality. I have dark hair, dark eyes and an olive complexion (with a decent tan I'm still working on before we go) if that helps anyone visualize. otherwise, does anyone have any tips for toning the shade down a notch or two? :confused: thanks!

honorable.jpg

I do this all the time. I just go over the color with a lighter color, you have to try different colors to see what works the best for you. I actually get a lot of use out of "freebie" Clinique colors this way, as they are usually too light for me. Using a gloss works, too, but I don't care for the sticky feeling of a gloss.

I can never seem to find the right shade of lipstick. I don't know if it changes color on me or what happens, but it is never the right shade. I have so many lipsticks in my drawer. I just put on one shade and if it is too dark, or light, or whatever, I just add another shade until I get it right. Someone will ask me what color fo lipstick I have on and I have to tell them it's about 3 different shades. It also depends on what I am color clothing I am wearing, if I am wearing pink, I want a pink shade, with red clothing a red shade, etc. So I experiment.

I was born with very black hair and a medium complexion. Lighter complexion than most people with black hair. but not really pale. My eyes are hazel, actually kind of gold colored. A few years ago, my hair was getting grey and I didn't want to be grey headed, but think older women with very black hair does not look good. I decided to go blond. I try to have it done in a natural blonde. I get a lot of compliments and everyone says, surprisingly, it goes with my complexion. I had always worn a lot of black's and bright colors. Red, purple, turquise, greens. I thought maybe I would have to change my color palete with the different color hair, but have found I can still wear the same colors. I don't think the reds, (which I wear a lot of) are quite as striking with my blonde hair as they were with my black hair and my tan in the summer. I think I wear a few more pastels now than before.

I do this all the time. I just go over the color with a lighter color, you have to try different colors to see what works the best for you. I actually get a lot of use out of "freebie" Clinique colors this way, as they are usually too light for me. Using a gloss works, too, but I don't care for the sticky feeling of a gloss.

I do this with my unwanted shades also. I am also dark & olive and I used to wear reddish colors all the time, but lately I feel that they are too harsh and I dont really wear much unless it formal evening affair and even then not like I used to......I feel like you can see my lipstick coming through the door. To tone down a bright red, try going over it with something with a brownish base, or something with a little frost. I have found a couple of "neutrals" that are a reddish brown and beleivie it or not they look good with every color I wear because they look good on me and do not clash with anything.

An interesting tidbit......I had makeup done by a Lancome makeup artist. She asked me what I was wearing that night. It happened to be red. She told me "you never wear red lipstick with red clothing." She chose a wine lip liner with a soft plum lipstick and a smidge of gloss. I would have never beleived it....but it was quite complementary.

I do this with my unwanted shades also. I am also dark & olive and I used to wear reddish colors all the time, but lately I feel that they are too harsh and I dont really wear much unless it formal evening affair and even then not like I used to......I feel like you can see my lipstick coming through the door. To tone down a bright red, try going over it with something with a brownish base, or something with a little frost. I have found a couple of "neutrals" that are a reddish brown and beleivie it or not they look good with every color I wear because they look good on me and do not clash with anything.

An interesting tidbit......I had makeup done by a Lancome makeup artist. She asked me what I was wearing that night. It happened to be red. She told me "you never wear red lipstick with red clothing." She chose a wine lip liner with a soft plum lipstick and a smidge of gloss. I would have never beleived it....but it was quite complementary.

I've never even purchased a red lipstick til this weekend. I figured, "hell, I'm on vacation, why not?" and it's not like "fire engine red"...just really BRIGHT. and I'm not used to it. my favorite, old standard is "creamy cocoa" by mabelline. feeling like I wanna step out of my shell a bit on my trip, though, LOL. thanks for the advice!

There is no rule that your lipstick and polish have to match. I keep mine in the same family and am pleased with the result. Rigth now I have very pale nails, baby pink, on toes and fingers. Last night I had a meeting and I wore a bright pink lipstick. The pale that matches would wash me out.

Archived