best place to buy carved bear

oratheeexplorer

Has anyone purchased a carved wooden bear anywhere while in Alaska? Out of Anchorage, Skagway, Juneau, and Ketchikan, can anyone recommend a certain store where to get a small one and if they are more reasonably priced at any certain place? We are thinking we would like to buy one while we are there and have it shipped home.

Any number of stores in the ports will have them but watch closely as many come from offshore.

Probably the largest collection of carved items I have ever seen in Alaska is at the Mt. Juneau Trading Post in Juneau at 151 S. Franklin St. However most of the carvings are in North West Indian style but nonetheless an excellent place to look....and they like others do ship.

Putterdude is so correct -- a great amount of the items found in SE Alaska gift stores are not made in either Alaska or Canada.

If people are interested in items actually made in Alaska then check for the "Made in Alaska" sticker which is a bear with her cub cuddled up to her. The MIA program is administered through the Division of Economic Development, and by googling something such as "made in Alaska permit program" more information should be readily available.

There is also another sticker which is a silver hand. That sticker indicates that the item was made in Alaska by an Alaskan Native (first person).

See, Laura, when you say "carved wooden bear" in Alaska, you usually mean a guy who carves bears out of a log with a chainsaw. THese are definitely not dainty.

Here is a typical website-I am not endorsing this guy, but the products are typical of what you can find.

http://alaskabearfactory.goods.officelive.com/default.aspx

See, Laura, when you say "carved wooden bear" in Alaska, you usually mean a guy who carves bears out of a log with a chainsaw. THese are definitely not dainty.

Here is a typical website-I am not endorsing this guy, but the products are typical of what you can find.

http://alaskabearfactory.goods.officelive.com/default.aspx

Thanks AKman, I did see this on the internet last night. Some gorgeous stuff! I'm not sure what exactly my husband has in mind, but he did mention looking for a wooden bear to have shipped home.

Thanks AKman, I did see this on the internet last night. Some gorgeous stuff! I'm not sure what exactly my husband has in mind, but he did mention looking for a wooden bear to have shipped home.

Like I said, you can find them almost everywhere.

Shipping home is definitely good idea :)

Like I said, you can find them almost everywhere.

Shipping home is definitely good idea :)

Maybe we could find one in Anchorage and have it shipped home....then maybe by the time we get home 10 days later it would be there.....our boys could open it up and have it out of the box waiting for us! LOL!

Maybe we could find one in Anchorage and have it shipped home....then maybe by the time we get home 10 days later it would be there.....our boys could open it up and have it out of the box waiting for us! LOL!

Be careful. Anchorage has both UPS and FEX ex hubs. Your bear may get there pretty fast. They may have most of those 10 days to play with it.:D

Archived