TMB integrated Travel Cards - T-10, etc.

lawtyger

Hi, we'll be in Barcelona pre-cruise for 6 days in May. I think I've gotten together a lot of good information and metro/bus PDF's and comfortably understand how to get from point A to point B. but, I'm not sure what type transportation card would be most cost effective.

We had read in a travel book about a Barcelona card that covered 5 days for 50 or 60 Euro (we've read different prices on this) but in looking over the TMB website there looks to be some other options for integrated travel between metro, train, bus etc. at better prices. One such option was a T-10 card which was described as:

A multi-person travel card valid for 10 intermodal journeys from 1 to 6 zones. In the case of one-zone cards, passengers have 75 minutes between the first and last validation when changing lines or mode of transport. This time increases by 15 minutes for each zone.

This sounds like multiple people can use this card. Is that correct? If so, it seems like a great deal. There are 4 of us in our group so I'm assuming this means it all four of us use the metro to get from point A to point B then that uses up 4 of the 10 travel vouchers. Is that correct?

Also, it talks about use in zones by towns. Is all of Barcelona counted as Zone 1?

Really just trying to get our plan in place for transportation before getting there. We'll need to get from the airport to our apartment in the heart of the city and then get a card to use the rest of the trip. Any suggestions for the most economical way to do this would be appreciated.

Thanks, Chris

Quick follow-up. I also saw the 5 day travel card for 28 Euro which could be better than the T-10 depending on how much we will actually use the card. This card may be the way to go. The description says:

A travel card for an unlimited number of journeys over 5 consecutive days from the first validation, on the metro and TMB buses, FGC urban line trains, Rodalies de Catalunya trains (zone 1) and the Tram.

My question is, are any of the modes of transportation included in the description above an option to use from the airport to the heart of the city? I'm not really sure what the FGC urban line train or the Rodalies de Catalunya trains are. If so, is that considered as zone 1 travel?

The zone map is below - I just find it a bit confusing :(

48b86e2d-3183-c759.jpg

48b86e2d-2f7e-bacd.jpg

Hi, we'll be in Barcelona pre-cruise for 6 days in May. I think I've gotten together a lot of good information and metro/bus PDF's and comfortably understand how to get from point A to point B. but, I'm not sure what type transportation card would be most cost effective.

We had read in a travel book about a Barcelona card that covered 5 days for 50 or 60 Euro (we've read different prices on this) but in looking over the TMB website there looks to be some other options for integrated travel between metro, train, bus etc. at better prices. One such option was a T-10 card which was described as:

A multi-person travel card valid for 10 intermodal journeys from 1 to 6 zones. In the case of one-zone cards, passengers have 75 minutes between the first and last validation when changing lines or mode of transport. This time increases by 15 minutes for each zone.

This sounds like multiple people can use this card. Is that correct? If so, it seems like a great deal. There are 4 of us in our group so I'm assuming this means it all four of us use the metro to get from point A to point B then that uses up 4 of the 10 travel vouchers. Is that correct?

Yes, you pass the ticket into a slot, remove it and the gate opens (and shuts fairly quickly) so you pass through and then someone else repeats the process using the same ticket until it runs out of 'credit'.

If it's any interest there are short videos of the Gothic Quarter, Parc Guell and La Sagrada Familia which can be found from my 'signature' below. You can easily walk the Gothic Quarter from Port Vell but we used the T10 for the other two (from the port).

All the best, Tony

We only used the T-10 ticket. You can use the T-10 for the metro as well as the buses/tram and it can be shared among the people in your group. The T-10 is good for one zone and Zone 1 is most of Barcelona city center and the sites. The T10 is also good for the RENFE train from the airport but we used the Aero bus to go from the airport to our hotel which was in the city center.

We had to buy a separate train ticket to go to Monserrat which I believe (??) is on their urban commuter line. I attached a link to a good site that is pretty clear about the types of tickets. Hope this helps.

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/transport/barcelona-metro.html

Thanks for the info. There is also apparently a Barcelona Card you can get for 5 days for 42 Euro that provides for use of the same transportation. I guess we will be deciding b/w the following:

T-10 - 9.25 Euro

Regular 5 day - 28 Euro

Barcelona card - 42 Euro (after a 10% discount of some sort)

The T-10 would probably be the most cost effective option for transportation only based on how much we hope and expect to walk. But, the Barcelona card apparently provides discounted prices on many attractions and free admission on a few. That could save some money here and there (ie Segrada Familia is a 2 Euro discount). Here is a list of the discounts:

http://bcnshop.barcelonaturisme.com/imgfiles/ecv/card/descomptescard.pdf

Anyone here used the Barcelona card before?

Archived