Barbados, without a pre-determined plan...

Mary Ellen1

Hi there. We'll be in Barbados as the 5th stop on a port-intensive 7-day cruise (Caribbean Princess). So I'm wondering about NOT planning anything there, but having a few ideas in my back pocket that we can execute when we get there.

Is this a good island for that kind of approach? Is there much available right at the pier? What kinds of activities would I put on my "back pocket list?"

We like to swim & snorkel. We're also into tours & history.

I've read about The Boatyard -- sounds good, but a little wild & crazy. Is there a similar beach-resort type of place that might be a little quieter (bonus points if it offers decent snorkeling)?

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer! :)

Hi there. We'll be in Barbados as the 5th stop on a port-intensive 7-day cruise (Caribbean Princess). So I'm wondering about NOT planning anything there, but having a few ideas in my back pocket that we can execute when we get there.

Is this a good island for that kind of approach? Is there much available right at the pier? What kinds of activities would I put on my "back pocket list?"

We like to swim & snorkel. We're also into tours & history.

I've read about The Boatyard -- sounds good, but a little wild & crazy. Is there a similar beach-resort type of place that might be a little quieter (bonus points if it offers decent snorkeling)?

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer! :)

If you like to swim and snorkel and like history, try Folkestone. We have been there three times. Great snorkeling with coral, fish and rocks. Not a very deep beach, but it works. There is a park there with a very old church that you can walk thru and a graveyard. Lots of nice shade in the park. There is a place to rent chairs, and a food stand. It also has showers (indoor and out) bathrooms and lockers. Bring your own lock.

What we have done, it to get on the bus at the bus termial around a buck each way. Tell the bus driver you want to get off a Folkestone and he will make sure you get there. After we are done swiming etc, we start walking along the beach, so pretty and peacful, we walk along the beach until we are done, then find a place to head up to the road to catch the bus back. busses go by all the time, and you just need to make sure you will get back to the terminal.

One time after we got swimmed out, we got on the bus and headed (I think north) and rode the bus until it circled back. We saw so much of the island that way, kind of like a taxi tour, only the bus doesn't stop at will. :D Give yourself a lot of time, I think that bus ride tour took us three hours. It was really fun though. We met and visited with some really nice local people. Just give yourself a lot more time than you think you would need.

We did this as well on our cruise here last February. We just hired a cab to take us on a tour of the island and then over to a beach. He then came back and picked us up and took us back to the terminal. Bathsheba on the Atlantic side is a must see for some beautiful water carved rock formations!

If you like to swim and snorkel and like history, try Folkestone. We have been there three times. Great snorkeling with coral, fish and rocks. Not a very deep beach, but it works. There is a park there with a very old church that you can walk thru and a graveyard. Lots of nice shade in the park. There is a place to rent chairs, and a food stand. It also has showers (indoor and out) bathrooms and lockers. Bring your own lock.

What we have done, it to get on the bus at the bus termial around a buck each way. Tell the bus driver you want to get off a Folkestone and he will make sure you get there. After we are done swiming etc, we start walking along the beach, so pretty and peacful, we walk along the beach until we are done, then find a place to head up to the road to catch the bus back. busses go by all the time, and you just need to make sure you will get back to the terminal.

One time after we got swimmed out, we got on the bus and headed (I think north) and rode the bus until it circled back. We saw so much of the island that way, kind of like a taxi tour, only the bus doesn't stop at will. :D Give yourself a lot of time, I think that bus ride tour took us three hours. It was really fun though. We met and visited with some really nice local people. Just give yourself a lot more time than you think you would need.

Folkestone sounds beautiful! The idea of a bus might be a bit too adventurous for us, though... Hmmm. Good idea -- I'll look into it a little more. THANK YOU for taking the time to respond.

We did this as well on our cruise here last February. We just hired a cab to take us on a tour of the island and then over to a beach. He then came back and picked us up and took us back to the terminal. Bathsheba on the Atlantic side is a must see for some beautiful water carved rock formations!

Ooh, Bathsheba! I've read about that.

How good was your taxi-cab tour? I'm still wondering whether I should reserve a tour in advance. You never really know what kind of quality you'll get when you book something spur-of-the-moment. But that's my dilemma -- whether to plan & reserve things, or just have a few ideas in my back pocket. THANKS for the info, TOlson70.

:)

As you can see from my post above we have stuck to Folkestone, but this next cruise we want to hit the other side, there is too much we are missing to go back to our same spot as much as we love it.

Is Bathsheba the place where the rocks are sort of cut away on the bottom and have bigger "tops". That sounds like a silly description, but my mom and dad went to some beach like that on our last cruise and they didn't remember where it was, we want to go there. My husband is a photographer and I think would love that. Is the beach there good for snorkeling?

Thanks!:)

Yes Bathsheba is exactly that, they look like mushrooms coming out of the water. Great photo ops. Snorkeling would probably be a no go here, its on the windy side, very rough chop. There are however little bath pools of warm water that a lot of the locals and in the know tourists hang out in, like little hot tubs.

Folkestone sounds beautiful! The idea of a bus might be a bit too adventurous for us, though... Hmmm. Good idea -- I'll look into it a little more. THANK YOU for taking the time to respond.

Ooh, Bathsheba! I've read about that.

How good was your taxi-cab tour? I'm still wondering whether I should reserve a tour in advance. You never really know what kind of quality you'll get when you book something spur-of-the-moment. But that's my dilemma -- whether to plan & reserve things, or just have a few ideas in my back pocket. THANKS for the info, TOlson70.

:)

Our tour was great, we just approached a cab driver and asked him for a 3 hour island tour of both sides. He pulled out his map and showed us all the stops he would make and what we would be seeing. We agreed on the price, believe it was $75 for the 2 of us and away we went. He gave us a lot of the history of the island and info at each stop. It may be tough to find him, but ask around for a guy named Hendy (short for Henderson). He was parked near downtown by the parliment buidling near the fountains. Have an awesome time!

Our tour was great, we just approached a cab driver and asked him for a 3 hour island tour of both sides. He pulled out his map and showed us all the stops he would make and what we would be seeing. We agreed on the price, believe it was $75 for the 2 of us and away we went. He gave us a lot of the history of the island and info at each stop. It may be tough to find him, but ask around for a guy named Hendy (short for Henderson). He was parked near downtown by the parliment buidling near the fountains. Have an awesome time!

Hendy -- writing that name down on my list. Thanks! It sounds like some of the taxi drivers are prepared to take you on a tour. Good idea, especially with this guy, since he was all prepared with a map & everything, so you knew what you'd be getting into... THANKS TOlson!

Yes Bathsheba is exactly that, they look like mushrooms coming out of the water. Great photo ops. Snorkeling would probably be a no go here, its on the windy side, very rough chop. There are however little bath pools of warm water that a lot of the locals and in the know tourists hang out in, like little hot tubs.

Thanks!

Archived