meridan

baruby47

I believe Celebrity sold it. And, then it sunk.

Happy Sails!

Aimee, CTA, ACC, DS

Bonne Amie Travel

"Without a travel agent, you're on your own."

Majesty of the Seas ~ March 2002

Celebrity Horizon ~ November 2002

Navigator of the Seas ~ April 2003

Crystal Harmony ~ November 2003

Radiance of the Seas ~ January 2004

Infinity ~ April 2004

Coming Soon . . .

Constellation ~ November 6, 2004

Yes, it is now a man made reef somewhere in the Pacific.

REBELJOHN

Constitution '89 Meridian '90

Norway '91 Celebration '93

Zenith 11/01 Sensation 5/02

Century 11/02 Atlantica 03/03

Zaandam 11/03 Horizon 4/04

You bring back memories. I was a cruise staff member on the original crossing of the Meridan to Fort Lauderdale back in 1990. It almost sank due to horrific storms in Febraury in the Atlantic. I will never forget that we left 1000 passengers standing at the Pier when the Coast Guard said we were unfit to sail. We left and went to Norfolk for dry dock repairs and returned 2 weeks later.

For the next 2 years, I was the cruise director and dealt with countless problems that the she had. Given all that, we loved her as she was a grand old lady with style and class.

She provided me with many good memories of wonderful passenges and crew and while I now sail Celebrity's new ships as a passenger, I will never forget the Meridian.

Michael Z

MDZ

I sailed on her from New York to Bermuda over a decade ago and had a grand time. I was saddened to hear of her demise and hopefully, the fish and wildlife in the area are now enjoying her as much as I did.

Patricia

In addition to the link from Maritime Matters (an excellent site, which also hosts my list of vintage passenger ships) that dkjretired provided, you might also want to see this site for more info on the sinking of SUN VISTA (ex MERIDIAN/GALILEO/GALILEO GALILEI). It also includes a good brief history of the ship by maritime historian David Pressler, who I had the pleasure of meeting recently.

FYI, I also have copied this thread to my and Walt's What Ever Happened To...? board as I think it would be appropriate there as well as here on the Celebrity board.

Doug Newman

Cruise Critic Message Boards Host

e-mail: shiploverny AT yahoo DOT com

Thank you Don and Doug for the links to these great articles. Our very first cruise was a 5 nite Western Caribbean on the Galileo with Chandris Fantasy Cruises. What a trip down memory lane these stories were.

Marilyn

Hi Texed and Patricia (and spouses)!

We sailed on the Meridian to the Panama Canal; was a very rough sailing night out of San Juan, after awaiting a late flight from NY. Nearly everyone on board was too sick the next day to go to the lifeboat drill. Never forget that cruise or our wonderful cabin steward. She was a nurse, working as a cabin steward so she could travel. She brought us apples and crackers and club soda, and said we were not going to the drill. We were in the front of the ship and she was slamming up and down and shuttering all night! We blamed it on the Captain having to make up several hours for the 3 hour late start. The passengers from NY had booked air through the cruiseline, so the ship was obligated to wait for them. Luckily, I didn't let that deter me from cruising again.

Kay

05/20/95 Zenith 7N Western Caribbean

03/04/96 Meridian 11N Panama Canal (Sank 5/20/99)

07/21/96 Ryndam 7N Alaska Vancouver to Seward

07/20/97 Norwegian Star 7N Mexico and Honduras

10/11/97 Century 7N Eastern Caribbean

09/18/99 Zenith 7N Scheduled to Bermuda, but due to hurricane Gert went to Port Canaveral and Bahamas instead

09/23/00 Horizon 7N Bermuda

11/17/00 Zenith 10N Ultimate Caribbean

05/26/01 Grandeur of the Seas 7N Mediterranean

10/13/01 Golden Princess 7N Eastern Caribbean

02/17/02 Legend of the Seas 14N Australia and New Zealand

06/28/02 Summit 7N Alaska Seward to Vancouver

08/23/02 Millennium 10N Deep Caribbean

05/17/03 Century 7N Eastern Caribbean

11/21/03 Summit 10N Southern Caribbean

05/21/04 Grandeur of the Seas 10N Western Caribbean

Many more in the future!!!

I'm sorry to read that all of the tales of the Meridian are bad ones. On our Meridian cruise I met my best friend for many years that died of cancer last year. I've got nothing but the best of memories.

Zenith from Jacksonville

Feb. 13 05

Brigitte, we have many great memories of sailing to Bermuda with our kids and my in laws. We sailed in Oct and my kids were about the only ones on board and they were totally pampered by the staff. We had a wonderfaul family trip and Meridan was the center of those great memories.

cool1.gif

EN, The Meridan was my second cruise with Tom. The best cruise ever. Meeting Gretchen and her husband was the highlight of the cruise. Not to mention the times we got to spend with them in Hilton Head.

Zenith from Jacksonville

Feb. 13 05

My husband and I sailed on the Meridian from Philadelphia to Bermuda for our honeymoon in June 1990. It was my third cruise and my husband's first. The food and decor were great. I recall that we had the first baked Alaska parade on the Meridian, as the staff had not been fully trained for it on previous cruises. The ship was newly remodeled with lots of shiny brass. The atrium with glass elevator was a fairly new concept then. The cabins were quite small with only twin beds. The cabin toilets made an awful loud sound. Overall, we had a great time. I must say, however, that the passengers were more of a mixed lot than Celebrity cruisers are now. I wish there had been a board like this back in those days so I would have known to ask for a new table assignment. We had a table for 8 at the main seating. One man put ketchup on ALL his food, everything. The other couple allowed their teenage son to come to formal nights in cutoff jeans. They also allowed him to ask to try the food of others at the table while sticking out his fork towards others' plates. At sailaway, one young couple had a small party down on the dock with their friends in underwear shirts carrying their dirty beer cooler. There was a show in the main lounge on only two nights of our seven night cruise. A third night, a singer performed in the smaller lounge for half an hour. The other nights there were things like the newlywed show with passenger participation as the entertainment. Needless to say, we moved on to Princess for our next cruise. We returned to Celebrity last year, sailing on the Millenium, and were extremely pleased. We have an FV corner cabin booked on an 11 night Summit cruise next March and can't wait.

Our very first cruise was on Meridian, NY to Bermuda in 1996. We fell in love with cruising & Bermuda as a result of that vacation. Having never cruised before, we had nothing to compare her to; but we knew she was special, at least to us. That was the our only cruise where they had Skeet shooting off the stern. We booked an inside aft cabin on the lowest deck. While we were at sea, the sound of the engines lulled us to sleep. Talk about tiny! The shower was so small that if you dropped the soap, you had to get out of the shower to pick it up!

But there was a grace about her that was captivating, & the crew was special. Years later, we were talking to a member of the band, I think it was X-T-Sea, who served on her, & he told us what a special atmosphere there was on the Meridian between the passengers & crew. So much of the crew knew the passengers by name because there were so many repeat passengers. He said that all the nationalities of the crew had a bond with each other that does not exist today.

The next time anyone is on the Zenith, check out the model of the Meridian in the Fleet Bar.

Meridian Bermuda 1996

Century E Caribbean 1997

Century W Caribbean 1998

Zenith Bermuda 1999

Galaxy So Caribbean 2000

Galaxy So Caribbean 2001

Zenith Bermuda 2002

Mercury W Caribbean 2002

Constellation S Caribbean 2003

Infinity Hawaii 2004

Hi Kay!

I'm sorry to hear that you were so sick on your

Meridian cruise. I left Frank home and went with some friends and had a blast.

Our Captain's Club party was held on the bridge of the Meridian. I had my picture taken while I was "steering" the ship. There was only about a dozen of us at the party and it was great.

I also have a picture of my group with the Captain on the platform that was next to the bridge (I'm taxing my memory here - that's where I think it was taken). It was delivered to our cabin after the party. I was so sorry to hear that she was gone. She was a grand ship.

I hope you guys are doing well. We will be

back on the Summit in November. Maybe we'll see you on another ship someday.

Patricia

Hi Kay - I just replied but somehow, it was lost.

No - Frank is still not working. I didn't get to go on my spring cruise this year and I really missed it.

We will be sailing on the Summit again in November and Angie and Tony will be sailing with us so we should have a lot of fun.

Have a great trip and tell John that we said hi.

Patricia

Patricia,

Tell Angie and Tony "Hello" for John and me, too. We may also be on that Thanksgiving cruise again. That week is usually easy to take off from my job, but don't know yet on John's new one. I would love to take the Infinity to Hawaii sometme this year, so ???? Who knows where or when we'll run into you again!

Take care,

Kay

Kay

Archived