Beginner snorkeler

Coralsugar

Hi

I did only snorleked once before in Key West off the boat.

Im taking a western Carribean cruise (cozumel, roatan, belize, cayman) and have couple of things I would like to ask.

1) where do you leave your things while you are in the water? We are non Us citizens so cant get away with carrying waterproof drivers licence, have to take actual paper passports and thats my biggest concern. Is it safe to put it in the waterproof pouch and take into water?

2) my mom is non-swimmer/ beginner swimmer. Would she get floating life preserve on the tour?(everyone got one in Key West).

If we want to snorkel off the beach on our own, is it possible in shallow water where person could reach ground?

3) should we buy own masks?

Thank you

:-)

I too am a beginner, fell in LOVE with snorkeling on our cruise to St. Thomas. OMG, how amazing, swam with sea turtles, saw 100s of fish, just beautiful.

Hi

Im taking a western Carribean cruise (cozumel, roatan, belize, cayman) and have couple of things I would like to ask.

1) where do you leave your things while you are in the water? We are non Us citizens so cant get away with carrying waterproof drivers licence, have to take actual paper passports and thats my biggest concern. Is it safe to put it in the waterproof pouch and take into water? I bring a beach bag, and I wear a water wallet, waterproof wallet with a belt around my waist. We put our ID, cash and hubbys wallet in.

2) my mom is non-swimmer/ beginner swimmer. Would she get floating life preserve on the tour?(everyone got one in Key West). All tours make you wear a flotation device. You could pack a noodle, floatie of your own and take with you. Thinking of doing that for hubby, he's real ucomfortable with snorkeling, that way he could just swim along.

If we want to snorkel off the beach on our own, is it possible in shallow water where person could reach ground? Snorkeling from the beach, of course you would start off shallow, but you are probably snorkeling around rocks and reefs, as this is where the fish are. You don't want to stand or ruin the coral . Salt water is very bouyant. You won't have any problem floating.

3) should we buy own masks? I bought my own, and snorkel as well as some shortie fins. Im ready to go.

Just Go and Have fun. You'll love it.

Thank you

All of the tours require the float vest, but its up to you how much you choose to inflate it. I'm a little top heavy :o and a reasonably good swimmer, so I don't inflate it at all.

I think all of the tours we've been on had additional floatation devices available (pool noodles usually) for people who aren't that comfortable in the water.

We have our own masks and snorkels, they're not terribly expensive - not even my mask which has prescription lenses (not an exact match to my glasses, but close enough so I can see). We do use their fins though, its not worth the extra luggage.

The ports of Cozumel, Roatan, Belize and Cayman are great for beginner snorkelers. In Cozumel, I would recommend taking a taxi to Dzul-ha (pronounced Zul-ha), also known as Money Bar (www.moneybarbeachclub.com) for about $10 each way. It is a little roadside bar/restaurant and easy entry into the water down a few steps and good beginner snorkeling. Snorkeling from the beach vs. boat is better for beginners. Better to go in the morning before the cruise excursion passengers show up in a close by area on the boat excursions. No admission fees and no lockers. We carry a little cash and credit card, room card and photocopies of passports inside a hard plastic neck wallet and I always double bag the money/papers in the zipper sealed sandwich bags because very often they can leak. Everything will stay dry if you double bag first. Tuck the plastic neck wallet inside your snorkel vest. We always leave only our towel, cover up, shoes and beach bag on the beach in any place that we snorkel. No valuables. You can purchase snacks and drinks at the bar/restaurant and they will take US dollars at any of the ports you will be visiting.

In Grand Cayman, you can go to Stingray City and play with the rays in 4 feet of water, and also some excursions also include a stop at coral gardens for snorkeling from the boat. Can have strong currents and last few times we were there the current was even too strong to enjoy the rays. Hard to plan for anything in Cayman since you will be tendering, and sometimes the ships cannot stop there due to strong winds/current/weather. For something easy and free, when you get off the tender in Grand Cayman, turn to the right and walk to Eden Rock, which is 3/10 or 4/10 of a mile and will be on your right (the side closest to the water). Any of the locals in the stores can show you where it is. Similar set up to Dzul ha in Cozumel. They do have lockers you can rent but they are small and not the most secure. Again, take the minimum with you and leave on the rocky area near the entrance. Walk down several stairs and great snorkeling for beginners. Lots of tarpon that are large and can be intimidating at first, but they are harmless. You can buy snacks/drinks at the restaurant/bar there also.

Belize - there are not any beaches to snorkel from. There are excursions you can take by boat out about 10 miles to snorkel, but currents can be strong and the snorkeling from the football field size uninhabited "island" they take you to can be from the beach but lots of coral and easy to get yourself cut if you are not careful. I would recommend visiting some of the Mayan ruins in Belize such as Lamanai or Xuantunich and not snorkel there if you are a beginner. The ship goes to Belize City and not close to where most people think when they think of barrier reef in Belize.

Roatan - some of the BEST beginner snorkeling here. I would highly recommend doing the excursion to Tabyana Beach through the ship. You pay a little more but it is quick and easy and you know you will have transportation back to the ship. Once at Tabyana, the vans will run back and forth to the ship after lunch and you can stay until the last van or return earlier if you want. A typical beach lunch of barbque chicken, hamburgers, fresh fruit and lemonade is included. Roatan is still pretty third world and roads are not the best, and when you go to Tabyana you will get to see some of the island as it takes about 30 minutes from the ship. Wonderful snorkeling from the beach. Look for the "reef police" - the local guys in kayaks - and the snorkeling is in the area where they are...they want to make sure that people do not get too close and damage the reef. You only have to go about 30 feet into the water and the snorkeling is right there....very shallow...we have been many times and last time we were there was 3 months ago. A little disappointing last time to see a giant blow up water slide in the water that you pay extra to use. It had never been there before and, to me, it makes the beautiful area look tacky...I am hoping they will remove it. A beautiful beach with both sunny and shady areas...If you are given options of times to depart, take the earliest departure time available. A little shopping at the dock and you can do that when you return.

You will be visiting some of the best snorkel locations in the Caribbean, especially for beginners. I recommend buying an underwater digital camera and have fun taking photos. You will see some beautiful, very colorful fish.

Be safe, and have a wonderful time!!:)

I will second Roatan. just got back yesterday, did not get to snorkle in Belize but did in Roatan. Have snorkled many Islands over the years and the water here was the clearest I have seen and plenty of fish. Each time I go out I see different fish. Of course you see the Sergant majors and parrot fish everywhere but I keepp looking for other types of fish and Roatan sure didn't disapoint me. Only disapointment I had was the snorkling didn't last long enought and there was a lot of area I still would have liked to explore.

The Ump

John

Hi

In order of my favorite snorkeling sites on your itinerary (I normally dive, but will snorkel if that is what everybody else wants):

- Roatan - there is usually a boat tour that stops at Tabyana Beach afterwords. I love that beach. The snorkeling is usually pretty good unless the waves are up.

- Cozumel - Chaukenaub Park. This is geared for snorkelers. Coral is usually amazing. You can take a cab there and back without any problems, just negotiate before you get into the cab. I have also heard good things about XCaret (there is more to do than snorkeling, but I have not actually been there).

- Grand Cayman - Sting Ray City. Always amazing. Ship tours are good, but last couple of times we have gone with Captain Marvin. Hint: Go early. By the afternoon the sting rays are so full of squid, you don't get as many to come around and they are tired of playing.

- Belize - as was mentioned above. The best snorkeling is not off Belize City. It can be pretty hard for beginners. Take the jungle tour out to the Howler Monkeys.

1) where do you leave your things while you are in the water? We are non Us citizens so cant get away with carrying waterproof drivers licence, have to take actual paper passports and thats my biggest concern. Is it safe to put it in the waterproof pouch and take into water?

If we are in a boat, I normally have a dry bag and we just leave it on the boat. Go to any dive shop or dive shop web site and look up dry bags.

If we are going from a beach, we normally take turns. Somebody holding the chairs and the stuff, somebody else snorkeling. I also have a small waterproof case that I put my docs into.

Usually you do not need to take your passports as any photo ID + your ship card is all that is required.

2) my mom is non-swimmer/ beginner swimmer. Would she get floating life preserve on the tour?(everyone got one in Key West).

If we want to snorkel off the beach on our own, is it possible in shallow water where person could reach ground?

Most snorkeling tours require snorkel vests (usually bright yellow or lime green inflatable vests). Most snorkel tours, especially the boats will have other floating items available, rafts, noodles, boogie boards, etc.

It is possible to snorkel from shore, especially in places like Chaukenaub, but remember, do not stand on the coral. Coral is not rocks, it is the home of millions of tiny animals and standing on it will kill them.

3) should we buy own masks?

Yes. Go to a dive shop and have the clerk there help to fit you. A mask should fit so that when you inhale gently through your nose, the mask will stay on your face without using the straps. That insures a good seal. There are a lot of mask and snorkel sets out there ranging from a couple of bucks to several hundred dollars. A good clerk can make sure you get a mask that will fit without breaking the bank. It makes it so much more enjoyable when you are not always draining the mask because it doesn't fit your face right.

Thank you

You are welcome.

ken

Thank you very much for all your recommendations. They are great, very detailed and very helpful.

I was deciding what to do in Roatan so this sealed it. Tabanya beach, no more doubt about it. :-)

And stingray city as well.

We will zip line in Belize or do the ruins, havent decided yet.

And thanks also for idea of photocopy of passports. I think that is all we will take. I read somewhere else that in case we are late ship will leave our passports with a port clerk. So we will take just copies.

Im also wondering whether on all these beaches, such as in Roatan or Chankanaab are any life guards in duty as it is usully in US ( in new york)?

Also on ship snorkeling tours are there any qualified guys on duty to watch over people in the water? In Key West we had boat crew life guarding from the boat and about 2 crew members in the water.

But thats US, different counties might have different laws and customs and liability issues.

Archived