passport name issue

gratamama

Is this going to be a problem?

My husband's name is Marcus (he's foreign - this is his name on passport and permanent resident card) but Carnival reservation says "Marc"

If it matters, we booked ES.

To be safe, I'd call Carnival and tell them your situation. Even though Marc is short for Marcus, I'd have them change it just to be safe.

just an FYI...when anyone is booking plane tix...make sure the ID you use at the airport for checkin...be it domestic or international..matches the name on the plane ticket....

that is why I always do all my bookings with the passports right next to me...because we use our PP's for everything...domestic and international

To be safe, I'd call Carnival and tell them your situation. Even though Marc is short for Marcus, I'd have them change it just to be safe.

and if CCL says that it is ok and that no name change is required...have the rep that told you this log the details of the phone conversation into their computer...ask for their name and id # and if possible get a confirmation number for the call..maybe even an eemail confirming the name is ok....

and have this with you at checkin.

Well, i just called Carnival. The name change went through the system with no fee. I am considering myself lucky on this one and will be more careful next time!

thanks!

Glad to hear it. Have a great cruise.

All of the advice is excellent. When you are travelling with ID, in this case a passport, the names should match perfectly. For years I used the name I was commonly known by and used it for credit cards, DL, travel etc and had no problems. When I went for my passport they said that every legal document, which includes all of the above and many others, should be in my proper name otherwise I could have trouble down the line. It took me a while but absolutely everything is now correct. As much as we like to shorten names, switch them around (use middle name instead of first name), Americanize (Canadianize) them they are not our legal names. I have filled out forms correctly and then added KNOWN as and then put my common name. Even though it may cost you $50 (if it was your error) I would pay it just to be safe. They are getting more strict at the ports.

While typing this you said it was corrected at no cost - way to go. I am leaving my post though for others to see

Archived