Any last minute suggestions for the dawn

leenie29

We're leaving 6/20 on the Dawn - first time on a cruise with the kids (hubbby and I have cruise before we got married)ages 10 and 5. Any last minute suggestions, packing hints, thing you wished you packed, etc. any knowledge that you wish to share would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Leenie

I strongly recommend the sea bands. The trip was wonderful, but I would have lost at least a day without the bands to help with the motion.

An underwater camera would have been nice to have, a laundry bag (net since things are damp) was helpful, a highlighter, and a big smile since you are very lucky!

Until we sail NCL Dawn

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800000&cdt=2004;05;30;15;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Have a great time its a wonderful ship.

Proud charter member of the PPS-Passport Pusher Society

NCL Crown to Bermuda this time I hope

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;6;27;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Oceania Athens to Venice- Something new

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;09;26;23;00;00&timezone=GMT+0200

smeyer418@yahoo.com

Celebrity, NCL, Overnight Ferry, hydrofoil between countries, car ferries and river cruise and of course the Staten Island Ferry

Yes, If you plan on snorkling in GSC or anywhere else a small can of cheese wiz from Kraft or any other maker will do fine. Fish seem to love this treat to eat. You will have them eating out or your hands, if not your hands. LOL

TIME TILL WE CRUISE

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ffd700&cdt=2004;5;16;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Perth Amboy ferry

USS Chicago CG 11

USS Bainbridge DLGN, Celebrity Zenith

Jenna Nicole.

DAWN: 05-16-2004

power strip, ext cord, only 1 out let in each room. Still thinking

TIME TILL WE CRUISE

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ffd700&cdt=2004;5;16;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Perth Amboy ferry

USS Chicago CG 11

Jenna Nicole.

Do Not Over Pack, Lay everything on the bed that you want to bring, then put 1/2 of it away.

TIME TILL WE CRUISE

Perth Amboy ferry

USS Chicago CG 11

Jenna Nicole.

icon_biggrin.gif Thanks guys like usual great information.

Went to Odd Jobs and got a power strip for all the electronic gizmos (2 gameboys rechargers, digital camera rechargeable batteries, cell phone recharger, etc.) coming onboard with us. Loved this suggestion.

I remember how to pack lightly from back packing in Europe for 4 months in college. It's the rest of my gang that has to bring the house with them. Thank God it's a resort casual cruise so I can leave the dressy clothes and all the stuff with it home. Summer clothes are lighter by nature and take up less room in a suitcase.

Thanks again,

Leenie

Leenie,

We are also going on the 6/20 cruise!

Wife and myself along with our 3 daughters (11, 7 and 7).

We are going with another family and their 3 children (15, 13 and 11).

We all cannot wait! Been counting down the days since December.

We booked 2 outdoor cabins with balconies, and 2 indoor cabins across the hall. I actually called today to see about upgrading, and they have nothing that will accomodate more than 2 people in a room available. No prob...figured I would just give it a shot :-)

Have a great time!!!!!

-Mike

Just got off the Dawn on Sunday. Wish I was still on it. It's wonderful !!!!!

Along with the sugestion of packing light - we only packed enough for 1/2 the cruise and did laundry on Wednesday. The washer and dryer are free. Take detergent or pay $1 for a small box in a dispenser.

NCL Sun 4/02 - Carnival Elation 6/02 - NCL Norway 8/02

NCL Dawn 6/03 - RCI Monarch 1/04 - NCL Dawn 6/04

Check the little wheel on the outside of the door. If you leave it in the wrong position or someone else knocks it going by it can affect when your room gets made up. It comes in very handy too if you want to sleep in one morning or take an afternoon nap.

Have a really great time.

I would also recommend a wide mouth water bottle so that you can fill it with ice and water to bring by the pool. There are no water fountains near the pool area, and we found it very helpful. The new lexan ones are especially great (Eddie Bauer @ Target,and Nalgene @ EMS or Dicks Sporting Goods)

Have fun!

Until we sail NCL Dawn

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800000&cdt=2004;05;30;15;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

all the rooms have just one outlet. we went out and got a bunch of cheap hangers that we left on the ship . you can never have enough.if you have a balconies leave the door open at night. all you hear is the sound of the waves and you will have the best night sleep. you see the rooms creek. and dont forget the beer helments

1985-NCL Skyward

1987-NCL Starward

1992-NCL Seaward

1994-NCL Starward

2002- Carnival Victory

2003-NCL Dawn

2004-NCL Majesty

I always find a lighted travel alarm clock to come in handy; at least on NCL there were none in the room. Also, a pair of binoculars is nice to look at things in the distance. I also pack as much as I can on wire hangars from the dry cleaner, makes it really easy to just remove from suitcase and hang up.

Enjoy and make sure you post when you get back. I don't know where you are, but if it's like it is in NY right now, bring a rain poncho--it's thundering, lightening and pouring like crazy (actually, those 99 cent thin plastic rain ponchos are a great thing to pack, also, just in case...)!

Explorer of the Seas (Western Caribbean) 12/7/02

Serenade of the Seas (Canada) 9/25/03

Majesty of the Seas (Bahamas) 2/16/04

Norwegian Dawn (Bahamas) 2/20/05

Until we sail the Dawn!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=006400&cdt=2005;2;20;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

In central Jersey, thunder lighting and heavy rain right now.

Got the rain poncho's packed, outlet strip, cheap hangers and laundry detergent. Anything else I should remember?

Three more days till the 11 of us are going!!!! I'll keep a diary and post when I get back (I have a bad case of foggy mommy brain right now in sore need of R & R). At this point if I'm not home cleaning, cooking and doing my daily boring mommy routine with my 10 and 5 year old boys, I'm a very, very happy camper.

Leenie

If you get any beer helmets on board dont leave them around or give them away. There is a $5.00 deposit on each. If you find one just take it to any bar with your key card for a $5.00 refund on your account

Joe

TIME TILL WE CRUISE

Perth Amboy ferry

USS Chicago CG 11

Jenna Nicole.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by leenie29:

In central Jersey, thunder lighting and heavy rain right now.

Got the rain poncho's packed, outlet strip, cheap hangers and laundry detergent. Anything else I should remember?

Three more days till the 11 of us are going!!!! I'll keep a diary and post when I get back (I have a bad case of foggy mommy brain right now in sore need of R & R). At this point if I'm not home cleaning, cooking and doing my daily boring mommy routine with my 10 and 5 year old boys, I'm a very, very happy camper.

Leenie<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ziploc Bags to proteck things from the rain while onshore. And with 4 folks in a cabin as mentiond before the traditional over the door shoe holder to store things inside the bathroom door.

Seaward 1/89,Southward II 1/91,Windward 10/93,

Norway 3/94,4/96

Dreamward 4/97

Dream 12/99

QE2 4/02

Carnival Spirit 7/02

NCL Sun 10/03

NCL Dawn 2/03,7/03,2/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;8;22;17;30;00&timezone=GMT-0800  Alaska NCL Sun

8/22 Sun - Roll Call

I agree totally with Joe K !!!

I packed 2 gigantic suitcases (and a couple of carry-on) and came home with 1 suitcase full of the dirty clothes and the other with clothing that the 3 of us never wore!!

Pack light!!!!!!

Hope it's not too late,...

Dollar store shoe rack for bathroom door to keep all your stuff out of the way. Clothes pins to dry everything. Great " tip " hint, calling cards ( Costco/ Office Depot/ BJ's Warehouse ) for room maid/anyone who treats you great. Give them little things as a thank you early, they will surprise you back.

USE ROOM SERVICE, snacks, AM coffee, even tell them a standing order every morning at ??AM for coffee and pastry.

Chat to the Venetian hostess, get their name, chat, they'll remember you in a crowd and seat you FAST.

Sushi a la carte.

Almost forgot, DO the kids' program, get to know the counsellors. Want a special nite with your lovey, ask one of the counsellors to babysit, have a romantic nite in Impressions, Cagney's or the Bistro. The kids counsellors are great and for a decent babysitting $$ will keep your kids thrilled. Remember they are pros with kids, and will usually come with all sorts of fun ideas and activities. They will then really know YOUR children in the group !

Have a blast, we are off on the 27th June, leave us some food !

Terry

Came home with no dirty clothes, did laundry on the ship.

Joe

TIME TILL WE CRUISE

Perth Amboy ferry

USS Chicago CG 11

Jenna Nicole.

Great suggestion about hanging shoe bag. I'll hunt around tomorrow for one at the dollar store or Odd Jobs. Traveling with kids you have so much stuff and never enough places to put it.

So many things to remember ... good thing it's just a car service away to the port and onto the ship. I could never fly with all this stuff (and that's after I took everything out but the bare essentials because of the laundry room on the Dawn).

Thank you Thank you

Leenie

Archived