Tipping above and beyond

zrmmiller

What is a reasonable "extra" tip amount that shows we appreciate the great service. I've read on some threads that people give extra tips. I don't want to give an amount that's "insulting". Is there an unwritten standard that I should know about in case the crew has an expectation now since people seem to tip "extra" fairly regularly.

Thanks

I rarely tip over an above the automated tips for those covered by them unless I've made some really special request of my room steward or waiter and since that's rare I can't say how much.

I do tip bartenders and bar waiters that are particularly attentive to me throughout the week. Usually it's $20-$40 per person, just depending.

Well, any tipping thread is sure to start a debate, so be prepared for that.;)

Many feel the auto-tips are often sufficient, but others sometimes give their cabin steward & assistant an extra $20 or so, same with the wait staff in the dining room. Some more, some less, some not at all, some remove them entirely & "say" they will tip everyone who services them in cash (grrrrr:mad:).

There is an automatic 15% gratuity added on to all beverage orders, some also tip special bartenders or servers a bit extra. There really is no standard though, to answer your question. You will receive the same outstanding service no matter what.

Anything in addition to the traditional gratuity is appreciated, so feel free to give what you feel is right, and can afford.

Personally, if my cabin steward or head waiter has gone above and beyond, I'll give $40-$50 extra on a seven-day sailing. For example, our waiter on the Splendor had an appetizer, milk, and high chair ready for our toddler at every dinner in the MDR. This helped tremendously, as our child wasn't waiting a single second to start nibbling and that made dinner much less stressful for us.

Out of seven MDR dinners, we only had to whisk him out before dessert once (it was a no-nap day). Our waiter quickly wrapped up two warm chocolate melting cakes for us to take back to the cabin. He also "forgot" to charge us a corkage fee one night. Little things like that which made our experience more enjoyable. We wanted to thank him for his impeccable service and pleasant attitude during the week with a little something extra.

Tipping extra is a personal decision and it is what you are comfortable with - be it $10-20-100. I have travelled with family where they have 5 kids (whose Mom is on to keep cabin neat and tidy and other than making beds etc required no work) and themselves and leave the auto tip on but cannot afford to tip extra which is understandable. I have travelled with 2 adults who were absolute pigs and steward had his work cut out for him/her and they left $5. Any amount of money is good enough and appreciated - it is not our decision.

Last time I think I asked for something extra and gave him a $10 for it and then at the end of the cruise he had done a good job and greeted us all the time, that I left him a $20. I gave our wait staff an extra $20 and my friend did too. It didn't break my bank, but I think we all know that an extra here and there can add up and make a difference. They make my cruise enjoyable and they have always done so with a smile (even though I'm sure they don't always want to), so I don't mind tipping them extra. Do I feel I HAVE do, no. Do I think it should get me extra perks if I do tip extra, no, and that is why I usually tip at the end or only if I have a special request.

I tip the steward an extra $20 at the start of our cruise. Does it afford me greater service? Probably not, but I feel they deserve it for picking up after me for 5-7 days. I also tip the bartenders a little extra from time to time, if they treat me particularly well, I'll slip them something nice on the last day. Keep in mind, you can just write on the bar receipt any amount you want to tip ($2, $5, $10), it doesn't have to be in cash. Anytime dining I'll leave a few dollars on the table when I'm finished.

I tipped our cabin stewart an extra $25 last week on the Legend. I actually felt he deserved more but dh wouldnt let me :( Tipped our waiter extra $20...he was ....nice and gave good "regular" service..but when I requested 2 appetisers (only 2 times in the 7 days) he never brought them. Tipped the asst. waiter $10 for remembering the cappicino every night after day 3 without having to ask for it :)

Archived