Transportation Companies with Car Seats in Seattle

We are cruising to Alaska from Seattle in May with our 10 m/o DD. Like most parents, I know that it requires a lot of work and extra stuff to take a baby on vacation. Since we will be travelling by cruise ship, the car seat seems like it will just be in the way once we get there, but it's necessary when travelling. We have been doing some research to get transfers to the pier and back to the airport, all the while just thinking we would be bringing along our car seat. But then I thought, which of all these companies could provide a car seat, and would that be acceptable for my baby for the trip between the pier and the airport?

I just thought I would share what I had found, considering there may be other folks out there with the same conundrum.

Shuttle express will provide a carseat for $5 each way - not sure if it's front or rear facing.

Town Car Seattle charges $5 each way for a car seat - I specified rear facing in that request.

Already There only has front facing car seats for $10 per trip.

HAL Transfer is on a Greyline Bus and does not require a car seat.

That's what I've found so far. If anyone else has any more info, feel free to share.

Thanks.

Self-described carseat nerd here, and I'm leery of such services. Unless you can get someone to tell you the exact model and manufacture date of the carseat you'll be using, you won't have any idea whether the seat will be a good fit for your baby or whether it is expired. You also have no way of knowing if the seat has ever been involved in a collision. You can't be sure that there will be a manual available. Even if there is, you may not be able to get a proper installation in the car, or a proper fit for your baby, because not all seats are a good fit for every car and baby.

For a 10 month old, I'd suggest taking along a decent, inexpensive, lightweight convertible (FF or RF seat). You can stash it in a closet or a corner while on a cruise. My first pick would be a Cosco Scenara, which is under 10 pounds, but it looks like availability is questionable right now.

Alternatively, you could take along the infant bucket seat or convertible seat that you use at home. We did this when we went on a cruise with our 15 month old. Her Britax Roundabout was heavier than I might have preferred, but we managed okay. If I was doing it again, I'd probably shell out the extra money to get a lightweight travel seat.

For more suggestions/thoughts on good travel carseats, search the archives or post on the forums at www.car-seat.org. Many very knowledgeable and helpful carseat techs post there. :)

Archived