Best beaches in Nassau, Freeport...and maybe Port Canaveral?

govgurl

Hello Knowledgable Cruisers!

I am going on a cruise with two friends in November 2012 (can't wait!), and to pass the time we've started doing research already. You know those people who say that they don't like to lie around the beach all day? Yeah, that's not us. We LOVE going to the beach, and we don't need a beach with a lot of activities, if they're therem that's fine, but not required.

This is where we need your help. We have about 12 hours to spend in Nassau, and we're in Freeport from 7-2 PM (from past cruising experience that means we really need to be back aboard by 1 PM or 1:30).

What are your recommendations for best beaches at these stops? We're young ladies on a budget, so our priorities are: picturesque and inexpensive. If we can rent an umbrella and some chairs that would be great too, and bathrooms are an added plus.

I was thinking in Freeport, we may try to get off the ship early and go straight to Taino Beach to enjoy what time we have, but open to other suggestions. In Nassau, is Junkanoo our best bet? We have a lot of time, so we could potentially travel to other locations near Nassau if they're recommended.

Also, we'll be making a stop in Port Canaveral, and while I know this is the Bahamas board, if any cruisers have favorite beaches there that are close to the terminal, please speak up.

Thanks!

Hi- The Sheraton Cable Beach is a great place to spend a beach day in our experience. There's lots of info about it on this forum.

Since you have so much time in Nassau you might consider some of the other Nassau sites too. What activities do you enjoy aside from the beach?

In Freeport- Our Lucaya has nice beach hotels. You can google Our Lucaya and see photos.

Hi govgurl :)

This Thread has a great list of Freeport beaches. :cool:

As for Port Canaveral, there is a nice quiet beach right next to the port at Jetty Park. They do charge admission, but have all the amenities you may need and are somewhat undeveloped and pristine. You may also want to go a few miles south to the pier. Cocoa Beach Pier is busier, but "nice" and touristy... if that's to your liking. If you are looking for a bar & grill on the beach, a little further south is Coconut's... yummy! :D

In between these Cocoa Beach spots are numerous beach access points, some with facilities, some without. They are usually quiet, but most are located next to condominiums and have no amenities... enjoy! :cool:

Thanks! These are great suggestions. We will definitely check out some of these Port Canaveral places, especially Jetty Park. Pristine and under developed is definitely our scene.

@Cruiseapril -- Other than the beach :-)! I noticed Scubagirl often posts about a historic walking tour of Nassau, so I think we might do something like that. It's free and would give us a little flavor of the place. I enjoy snorkeling and am reading up on the thread about affordable snorkel trips, might be something we do in Nassau. I personally love to sail and to snorkel, but my friends are more laid back, and I'd like to go to places where we would all have something to do.

Archived