Lido lovers...

Hawaiidan

On our 30 day cruise this past Oct on the Westy we ate most of our meals in the Lido. It was typically empty, the food was tasty and the staff there were awesome to us.

In the AM we'd hit there approx 9-9.15AM, sit in the same general area. Hit a balance quality protein and lower GI carb breakfast, joke about with the servers and then hit the aft pool.

In the PM we'd hit supper there about 6.45-7.15, sit in the same general area and get quality protein/lower GI carbs and joke about with the servers.

Like I said, the food was tasty, the place was always empty to the point where Karen and I both commented that the Westy felt half full (she wasn't), and the folks there were awesome.

Not to say anything against the MDR. Food was tasty, service was prompt (even first night) and we didn't ever have a bad night.

The Lido's come and go as you please atmosphere was waht was best for us.

Derek

The plan for our upcoming Alaska cruise is Room Service breakfast, a MDR or Pinnacle lunch or two, and Lido or Canaletto for dinner. Why hassle with the noise and a crouded table in the middle of a room when you can enjoy looking at a Alaska evening through a picture window!

I've heard the Lido shuts down really early and they starts putting the food away while there are still queues. While I understand that they have to draw a line in the sand otherwise people will just keep lining up, I would like to know what time they actually do start shutting down. Can anyone help. Thanks

We were on the Maasdam in October and the Lido opened for dinner about the same time as early seating in the MDR--5 or 5:15pm--and stayed open until 8:30pm if I remember correctly. After that time you'd still be able to order room service off the MDR menu.

On our particular cruise, we also got LOBSTER tails in the Lido on most of the Formal nights when it was on the MDR menu--and much better than the MDR since these were cut in half lengthwise and grilled. YUM!

The thing that impressed me most about the HAL Lido in the evening was that, most of the time, the food was being prepared fresh right in front of you. I happen to like steak and when they had that available (which was often) I would ask that they grill one up fresh for me rather than take one sitting in the tray. They were always very accomodating.

PS: We almost always eat less when we eat at the Lido--partly because we don't devour the bread basket while waiting for our food! Also, sometimes I'll try an entree and not like it for some reason (too salty, tough...) and in the Lido it's a relatively simple matter to just get something else.

I love all this information about the Lido. Most cruiselines don't have the same food as the MDR (like lobster and steak). Also to be able to order room service off the MDR menu is superb! I have not sailed HAL yet, and am thinking of taking one of their Alaska cruise tours June/July of 2014. It makes me happy to think I don't have to pack formal wear.

Our last cruise on RCI we ate twice for dinner in the MDR and the rest of the time in the buffet area. We ate breakfast a number of times in the MDR, but was perfectly happy to eat at the buffet. Food in both areas was very good.

I am excited about giving HAL a try, and appreciate all the info on this site.

288 nights on Hal and we have never eaten a meal in the MDR. We prefer the relaxed atmosphere in the Lido and we can usually sit outside which we enjoy. Both the food and the service in the Lido are very good. We also enjoy getting room service, especially if we have a veranda.

The HAL Lido food is good, better than many other cruise buffets.

Really? Do you think the unseasoned, uninspired and repetitive Lido food on our Statendam cruise could have been a fluke? Can I expect better on pour upcoming Veendam cruise? That would be really nice.

Really? Do you think the unseasoned, uninspired and repetitive Lido food on our Statendam cruise could have been a fluke? Can I expect better on pour upcoming Veendam cruise? That would be really nice.

I was on the Statendam recently and I would agree that the food is rather bland and uninspired....that said I always find something I like just fine and never leave hungry. It meets my expectations and I am easy to please, I guess.

We too prefer the Lido but our problem is the early closure at 8 pm. This is quite early for us and on our last HA cruise often used Canaletto although there was an inconsistency in quality and service from time to time.

Last time we tried Princess but we found that pretty average.

Brian

Archived