Tanzanite International

Cheeky

also, I know all of the reasons why this is a hard question, but what is the price range for one carat, of decent quality?

35 years ago *when I was a teenager* it was $1,000 per carat for a standard diamond solitare.

The scary part is that the exact same size stone (say a 5 carat) what would sell for $ 400,000 will go for $30,000 due to, poor color, flaws or a poor cut.

Always use a trusted jeweler, if you are going to purchase any stone over $10,000.00.

There is a lot of debate elsewhere on the board about using a "Cruiseship Approved" vs. not approved store. I've said it elsewhere. If you aren't a true expert in what your are buying, use one of the approved stores. There are a lot of smoke-n-mirrors sales folks who will try to sell you junk for a zillion dollars.

Note: Make sure that the store is one that is on the current "approved" list from your cruiseline. If you are not familiar, make sure you attend the shopping talk before the port. There seem to be a number of stores who claim to be "approved," but are not.

Yes, I'm sure that the Cruiselines get a cut and the Cruise's shopping expert babe gets a commission. However, these folks can't afford to recommend fly-by-night shops.

Buyer beware!

also, I know all of the reasons why this is a hard question, but what is the price range for one carat, of decent quality?

Depending on the lighting and color shift, clarity and what mine it is from (D block has the finest gems and they sell for the highest prices)

you can get a cheap lavender stone at Walmart for $50, a quality stone will sell $1000 or more a carat.

Archived