CCL ship seized?

bhanback

and another blip:

"As alleged above, Utopia Cruises, Inc., is a foreign entity duly organized, created and existing pursuant to the laws of Panama, and at all material times was the owner of the MS Carnival Triumph. Utopia Cruises, Inc., has no physical place of business or employees. It is paper Panamanian company established to avoid the law and taxes as a flag of convenience entity."

This is very curious to me. I'm assuming, from the article, that Triumph won't be leaving port tomorrow. Will be following this story closely. Still can't figure out how Texas got involved.

Its not a joke. There are lots of links and documents being posted on social media that explain this. Apparently the lawyer shopped for a sympethic judge and found one in Galveston. And apparently you can file suit in any district that the company conducts business.

and this seems to explain the reason for the emergency motion and order...

"Carnival plc is an alter ego of Utopia Cruises, Inc. In reality, Carnival plc, is the true

and beneficial owner of the MS Carnival Triumph, currently or soon to be located in this District."

and another blip:

"As alleged above, Utopia Cruises, Inc., is a foreign entity duly organized, created and existing pursuant to the laws of Panama, and at all material times was the owner of the MS Carnival Triumph. Utopia Cruises, Inc., has no physical place of business or employees. It is paper Panamanian company established to avoid the law and taxes as a flag of convenience entity."

Makes perfect sense now - Triumph is the only ship owned by both defendants, Utopia and Carnival plc.

I cant sleep, my heart is so heavy for tomorrows passengers.

Yep - seems that's exactly what they're trying to do....gain jurisdiction

"...attaching

any assets of Defendants, including the MS Carnival Triumph, for the purpose of securing

jurisdiction over the Defendants, and to secure Plaintiff’s claims as described above."

and this seems to explain the reason for the emergency motion and order...

"Carnival plc is an alter ego of Utopia Cruises, Inc. In reality, Carnival plc, is the true

and beneficial owner of the MS Carnival Triumph, currently or soon to be located in this District."

Thank you, so much for posting all of this. This is why I love Atlanta. Everyone here is so nice <3

Yep - seems that's exactly what they're trying to do....gain jurisdiction

"...attaching

any assets of Defendants, including the MS Carnival Triumph, for the purpose of securing

jurisdiction over the Defendants, and to secure Plaintiff’s claims as described above."

So if they're doing it for jurisdiction, does that mean its really only a technicality and not likely to affect things?

and the second to the last "ordered" states that it can be released with a letter from the Plaintiff's attorney with no further action from the court.

I'm think this is a way to serve Carnival with this lawsuit and obtain jurisdiction and once that is done, the plaintiff's attorney "releases" the ship and sailing commences tomorrow as planned....?

That's my hunch about how this will play out. I certainly hope so, for the sake of those scheduled to sail this weekend.

So if they're doing it for jurisdiction, does that mean its really only a technicality and not likely to affect things?

If I had to guess (and like I said, I'm not an attorney, I just work for 'em), in everything that I have read and researched tonight, it does seem that they are simply doing this to gain jurisdiction in the Texas court. Seems that only the Federal Marshal can serve this type of maritime warrant. I'd guess if CCL doesn't already have someone on the ground in Galveston to meet the ship and accept service, it'd be served the captain, etc.

If you think about it, it's an entire day. Courts will hold emergency hearings on weekends if necessary. CCL beards and/or legal eagles could make emergency trips out there, and I'd also be willing to bet the plaintiff's attorney gave CCL a courtesy heads-up on this so as to not delay the next sailing. I could be wrong but alot of times attys will give each other a heads up about something. (They're not all complete buttheads.)

And if all else fails, certainly someone here has connections to someone at CCL and has given them the heads up. And if that's the case, put in a good word for me! I'd love to move to Miami and work at CCL's Miami office in the legal dept!! :D

Love it! Born and raised here also, although I did move to Chattanooga right after the olympics and stayed up there for almost 10 years.

I'm in Roswell now.

My sisters and brother are in Ollewah :P

You're super close! I'm in Marietta/Kennesaw practically every day. Thats where my kids favorite park is. There, or Centennial :P

Archived