A better way to dive in Tortola

mglife

My family and I just did a Cruise on Holland America and really enjoyed it. One tip I would have for other divers who are certified and want a really great dive experience in Tortola would be to get off the boat and walk the 500 meters to the AquaVentures dive shop and go with them. They are a little less expensive than the Cruise Dive and a way more personal diving experience. The owner's name is Phil and the 2 certified instructors are Chris and Brittany. When I went there were only 2 of us with each instructor versus the Cruise dives which had around 10. The experience of diving with a personal and knowledgeable staff makes all the difference in turning a good dive into a great one. Their contact info is:

AquaVentures (Road Town): (284-494-4320): www.aquaventurebvi.com, aquavent@surfbvi.com.

Another excellent choice is to book your own charter and dive with UBS. It'll just be the people in your party with your own private boat and guide, and you can go where ever you want and dive for as long as your tank will allow. Tony and Kathryn are the owners and the personal service they provided us was first rate! I can't recommend these folks highly enough.

http://www.scubabvi.com/html/index.htmlve

Excellent advice. I'll take you up on that on my trip in September. I've been looking for an alternative to the ship provided dive excursions I've always done in the past. I always suspected I could find more reasonable rates by going direct with a local operator.

Thanks.

Archived