Anytime vs traditional dining w/ 23 mo old

strobellayjam

I wouldn't do set dining times when traveling with a young child unless I had no other option. With time zone changes and the disruption of normal routines, many kids' naptimes are unpredictable while on vacation. I also have personal experience waking a sleeping toddler in order to get to a dinner reservation. I really can't recommend it. :D

We sailed w/ DS when he was 14 months and 27 months, and I'd take anytime dining hands down given the option. We tend to eat early, both at home and on vacation so we haven't had issues w/ having to wait for a table or anything. I'd rather have the flexibility of we'll get dinner as soon as we can or if DS ends up w/ a late nap, we can eat a little later. We were assigned to the 6:15 seating on our last cruise even though we had requested anytime dining, and several nights we ended up skipping dinner or heading to the buffet because there was no way DS was in any shape to sit through dinner that would last to his bedtime.

I cruised with my 4 kids the youngest had just turned 2 back in oct. We did traditional early seating and it was very nice. Every evening the high chair and booster were already in place and crayons and colouring books were waiting for all the kids on the table. In addition, our waiters got to know and enjoy interacting with the kids and didn't look at me like I was nuts when I ordered off the adult menu for the kids and shared an adult portion between 2 kids. The food on the kids menu is typical of any kids menu at home. Hot dog, mac and cheese, chicken fingers etc.... In addition, my 2 and 4 year old fell asleep in the dining room on more than one night curled up on the chair or in my lap. They tend to be pretty easy going kids overall but this powernap enabled us to carry on with the evening activities without a full on melt down. Have a great trip!!

thanks for all the feedback! The pros of traditional seem to be a guaranteed table and waitstaff familiarity with our needs but the pros of anytime is def the flexibility. DD has early bedtime so think we'll stick w/anytime dining and go early to ensure we get a table.

We've done traditional dining (early seating) twice with a baby and it has worked out very well. It was close enough to our usual routine dinner time that he didn't have to adjust to anything. The familiarity of the staff and others at our table was also a huge perk. They'd have his highchair and fruit/appetizer ready and waiting for him.

We are going with set dining time (early). My kids are late people (nap from 2-4 and bed around 10). We had anytime last time (dd was 11 months at the time) and it didnt work so well for us. Just becuase we had a large group of people and always had to wait to be seated. Like pp said, it will also be nice to have high chairs and crayons ready and for the wait staff to get to know them.

The familiarity with the wait staff has always been worth it's weight in gold to us and it was one of the negatives on our Gem cruise (we had someone different every night).

I think that outweighs everything else. Having the high chair set up for you. Having a drink already there. Having a staff that KNOWS you - is much better than having simply a table at the exact time you want it. We learned that the hard way on Gem.

We had great waiters on certain nights and not so great on others.

After considering all the helpful advice, we have switched over to trdnl dining - 515, the earliest seating yet! The guarantee of a table and wait staff who will know our (I.e. DD's) needs will be helpful. Another bonus is the dining rm is closer to our stateroom!

After considering all the helpful advice, we have switched over to trdnl dining - 515, the earliest seating yet! The guarantee of a table and wait staff who will know our (I.e. DD's) needs will be helpful. Another bonus is the dining rm is closer to our stateroom!

I think that was a wise choice! When we have traditional early - we walk right in and order the entire meal almost immedialty. The drinks are already waiting for us (after the first night). The meals are brought out very quickly and we can usually get out in a pretty short period of time with little wait. The waiters seem to follow our lead.

I think that was a wise choice! When we have traditional early - we walk right in and order the entire meal almost immedialty. The drinks are already waiting for us (after the first night). The meals are brought out very quickly and we can usually get out in a pretty short period of time with little wait. The waiters seem to follow our lead.

Awesome! I have to admit I was a bit worried about this given DD can't sit through a leisurely meal that we were accustomed to previously while in MDR and I'd hate to have her running around and disrupting other patrons' meals. Maybe this means we can keep to her 7pm bedtime!

Awesome! I have to admit I was a bit worried about this given DD can't sit through a leisurely meal that we were accustomed to previously while in MDR and I'd hate to have her running around and disrupting other patrons' meals. Maybe this means we can keep to her 7pm bedtime!

No doubt! My girls always have a 7pm date with the kids club so I know that we always make it out by then ;)

ALSO, you might want to add a SMALL table request to your reservations. The worst would be to be seated at a table for 10 and have to wait for the rest of the table. That would throw off her entire schedule.

No doubt! My girls always have a 7pm date with the kids club so I know that we always make it out by then ;)

ALSO, you might want to add a SMALL table request to your reservations. The worst would be to be seated at a table for 10 and have to wait for the rest of the table. That would throw off her entire schedule.

Great tip! Thanks!

Archived