Wheelchair and Oxygen users on Indy

I have just booked the very last remaining adapted stateroom on Indy and we are very much looking forward to our very first cruise ever.

All the comments I have read so far are complimentary to Indy. I hope she lives up to it on our trip, fellow cruisers.

I know that you will all remember the day you booked your very first cruise, with all those questions which you are all now blase about. Your heads swam with, "What about this, that and the other?"

This is where we are at right now - so guys, please don't be frightened - bomb us with tips and facts. Especially those of the cruising community who are oxygen users in wheelchairs.

What tips can you give re ease of wheelchair use in the stopover ports, re what to do/see/eat where to get great coffee - I'm barred the alcohol, shame!

We are MTD and intend to book in to the meet and greet thing.

We are Graham and Trish - we'll be driving down from Norwich in about 4 hours on the Saturday and have the valet parking deal with the car under my blue badge.

First of all, welcome to the addiction of cruising. DW (Dear Wife) is a scooter user and we have found that cruising offers us the best bang-for-the-buck as far as vacationing. You will have very little problem on the ship there are H/C bathrooms all over the ship and the different venues are as accessible as possible. A quick side note, there is a disabled section on CC that you may wish to visit. OK, on with my observations. You are welcome to bring your own medical devices or rent them from one of two different companies for your cruise; either Special Needs at Sea, or Care Vacations. Both of these are very accommodating and will have top rate equipment waiting for you in your cabin. As far as ports go, WELL that is kind of a crap shoot. The ADA is the AMERICANS with Disabilities act so you probably wont't find curb cuts or ramps or accessible restrooms in a lot of the places. The dockyards seem to be OK and the fact that you are close to the ship is comforting as well.

Read, ask questions but be adaptable as well. Most of all enjoy your vacation.

Hello,

One suggestion based in our experience, one of my sons is a wheelchair user, ask your travel agent or request directly rccl, to have a table that isnt one step up or one step down in the dinning room. In the upper levels of the dinning room, there are areas that are one step above or below the main floor. By being near the entrance, you wont have to manouver in between a lot of tables that might be close to each other.

In the pools, the one in the port side, on your left if you are looking twards the front of the ship, has a special lift for getting in and out of the pool, just ask one of the pool attendants or the person in the towel booth for assistance and they will gladly help.

If you use a manual wheelchair, you can rent a power wheelchair for your cruise, they will deliver it to your cabin and at the end of your cruise you just leave it in your cabin and they take care of it, i dont remember the name of the company but you can search wheelchair rentals for cruises and they will come up in your search page.

And the number one tip, go to the coffea place and ask for the big, thick, and full of chunks of chocolate chocolate chip cookies. They are not always available and not to be mistaken with the regular smaller cookies, if you like sweets you will love them.

In the pizza place, they had some little almond cookies that were also great, when we sailed the alternated the with coconut cookies which werent that great, but the almond ones were very good.

A few enjoyment thoughts! #1 Explore the ship, get to know where things are! #2 Smile, alot, you would be amazed how many folks will smile back..you might make life ong friends. Use the DaIly Compass (in your cabin when you board...new compass daily) gives what is happening the entire day on the ship. #3..be flexible...not every moment is perfect.

Note, when you check-in, you should be offered the opportunity to board with the first group so as to make your embarkation easier...that is if you show up early (you cannot access your cabin until around 1p) so plan on heading to grab some grub!!!

Bon Voyage!!! You do know, you are now obligated to ask all the questions you want here on CC and you have to come back and tell everyone your thoughts after your cruise!!!!!

Archived