"cocktail dress" for formal nights

Hi all, I'm not sure whether this is a really stupid question but I will ask anyway. We are setting sail for Alaska onboard the Radiance of the Seas in July 2005. For formal nights, I note that the recommended attire for men is either a suit or a tux and for women, a cocktail dress.

I don't really know what a cocktail dress is but a preliminary search on the web seems to suggest casual short dresses. How does that gel with wearing a tux? Do women usually wear long dresses for formal nights? I have a long dress with a very slight train at the back and I'm wondering if it would be too over-the-top to wear it on a formal night.

Also, are white suits usually seen? Thanks! :)

The key is not to waste money buying new clothes for the cruise. Any dress that you have that you consider formal will be OK. Some women wear shorter cocktail type dresses while other wear floor length dresses. As for a white suit for your husband, you don't see that many of them, but it's still fine to wear one. I've seen guys on formal night with no jacket at all, in some cases just wearing a polo shirt.

The cocktail is either below or above the knee... you can find a simple one or sparkly ones... your preference. The floor lenght formal is fine too, I'd wear that one to the first captins formal.... I have both floor length and cocktail... I bring a few depending on my mood. I buy them on huge sale throught the year ie $20 for a $150 dress.

The cocktail is either below or above the knee... you can find a simple one or sparkly ones... your preference. The floor lenght formal is fine too, I'd wear that one to the first captins formal.... I have both floor length and cocktail... I bring a few depending on my mood. I buy them on huge sale throught the year ie $20 for a $150 dress.

Bertrande, your dress will not be over the top, you will see everything from Sunday best to ballgowns on women, even some in pants. You may want to check the schedule to make sure how many formal nights there are, many 7 night cruises have 2.

I usually take one long dress and one shorter dress for the two formal nights. I'm not keen on full skirts because they are hard to pack, so I tend to choose knits. If you coordinate the color, you can get away with one pair of shoes for both outfits. Maybe not as fun as packing a bunch of extra stuff, but way easier to haul and organize.

Have a great cruise, Alaska is so beautiful.

Wear the dress you have, sounds perfect to me. I wear a long dress on formal night, coctail on simiformal and have dresses for about any theme night they come up with BUT...... For what I paid for all the dresses one can go out and spend on just one formal!! Don't break the bank buying something new if that's what you decide. Early summer is a great time to hit sales for formals, Prom & Winter Formal Dresses for cheap cheap cheap. Now the real advise is don't grow out of them once you have a stockpile :)

BonVoyage

Dawna

When I think of cocktail dress I usually think of a basic black dress in a dressy fabric, dressed up with fancy jewelry, sexy shoes and a fancy evening bag...or a short dress with beads and sparkles in a pretty color.

Sounds like your dress is right on target. May I borrow it for my next cruise? (LOL) I do agree with critterchick though, becareful in the picture lines. Sometimes peole do crowd so be cautious of your train. (okay, once in a while you may even find someone pushy.)

Now for your husband's white suit, go for it. I am sure he will look stunning. We had a man in a white tux on our cruise 2 weeks ago.

You both just need to wear what you think adheres to the dress code. Don't go out spending hundreds of dollars on new clothes for formal nights if you can avoid it. You would be surprised what you can find on clearance and such for women's gowns and cocktail dresses. Just look around your closet first or ask your friends what they have in their closet. Save your money for excursions.

Most of all, forget about what others might think of your wardrobe and have a blast on your cruise!

I have a long dress with a very slight train at the back and I'm wondering if it would be too over-the-top to wear it on a formal night.

As far as I can tell, nothing is over-the-top on a formal night. For those who enjoy getting dressed up, they pull out all the stops. And you will see it all -- tafetta ball gowns, glamourous beaded numbers, sequined mini dresses, trains and tiaras -- you name it. I was married on the Jewel in February and wore my wedding gown to dinner. And I didn't feel at all out of place. At the same time, there will be plenty of folks who will opt for something more simple. My mom always wears black slacks with a fancy top. Simple but elegant. And more importantly, it's what she's comforable in. If you enjoy dressing up, go for it. But also know that you probably have a few nice dresses already hanging in your closet that will be just fine.

Have you given thought to consignment or outgrown shops? Some of the nicest outfits that I have I got in those types of shops. Their prices are most times even better than sale prices and if you know the reputation of the owner of the shop and what they will handle, you have no qualms about purchasing. It helps both your pocketbook, the seller and the owner.

When I think of cocktail dress I usually think of a basic black dress in a dressy fabric, dressed up with fancy jewelry, sexy shoes and a fancy evening bag...or a short dress with beads and sparkles in a pretty color.

I should have paid more attention to your actual question...you were asking about your dress with a train...I would go ahead and wear it since you have it! I think being underdressed is more of a problem that being over dressed on formal night.

thanks everyone for the positive responses! The reason why I want to wear the long dress is because it's an evening gown tailored for my wedding and apart from that ONE occasion, I don't think I'll ever wear it again so I thought the cruise formal night would present a smashing opportunity. :D After reading all your replies, I think I feel much more comfortable taking it on board. Shall wear that for the first formal night and use my cocktail dress for the 2nd formal night (yes I love being a dress horse!). :rolleyes:

Archived