Digital cameras. Yes or No

in response to Boston6, you are correct, the olympus camedia software is a poor interface. But, I got a USB card reader for $15, with Win XP or 2000 the reader/card is automatically recognized as an external drive. Then you just use the typical drag & drop interface of windows. Just another option, to each his own.

I just want to throw my hat in there for the Fuji digital cameras. Feel free to check out my links to pictures below. These were all taken with my 2.0 megapixel, 3.2 opitcal zoom digital camera. I think the pictures came out wonderfully. I love my Fuji camera so much that I just purchased a brand new Fuji digital camera. I upgraded to a 4.0 megapixel, 10x optical zoom camera. I actually could careless about the megapixels because I usually don't print anything larger than a 4x6, but I wanted the 10x optical zoom. Fuji cameras are fantastic. The xD picture card for the Fuji is really quick. It has a quick transfer time and a very quick download time. My brand new camera can also take continuous shots, up to 40 at a time, so that you can take great action shots, such as calving glaciers which I'm hoping to take pictures of in Alaska.

I still take a regular point and shoot camera with me on my cruises, but those are really "just in case" and I find that I hardly ever use that camera.

A digital camera is a great way to take pictures and store pictures so that you have memories that would last you a lifetime.

I agree about the Fuji camera. Mine is only 3 MP and my pictures have turned out great...beaches, snow....I've even enlarged sucessfully to 8x10s with no problem. I take so many more pictures now. It's wonderful to be able to have a scrapbook of all the scenery and everything, but still be able to print out only the ones you want.

I also have the Canon S1 IS. We got it after last year's cruise - I was still using the 35mm then, but it broke after 7 years. This is my second digital, the first one was an inexpensive 1mp model. The Canon does have a 10x Optical zoom and image stabilizer. It has many modes, but I usually leave it in "point & shoot" mode and the pictures are really good.

One REAL bonus with this camera is the ability to record video. I used to carry my Sony Hi-8mm camcorder to our daughter's cheerleading events. I bought a 1gb memory card on Ebay for about $40.00 and I can record about 20-30 minutes of video with excellent picture and sound with the Canon. I never take the camcorder any more. I take pictures and video with the same camera! One thing the Canon does that most do not is allow you to use the optical zoom in video mode. VERY nice!

I have the 32mb card that comes with it and a 256mb card in addition to the 1gb one. I have NEVER run out of storage space. I take the videos and burn them to DVD and they play on the TV. They look as good or better than my camcorder did.

I am actually thinking of leaving the camcorder at home on our next cruise in June. I will take my laptop computer to store the files until I get home. Digital is the way to go!

I would def get a digital and buy several of the cards to go with it. I took over 700 pics on our cruise and only used 3 of our 4 cards (I did make take them at a larger than normal size/quality which takes up room). While the cards and camera seem pricey (I paid $200 for our 3.8 Megapixel Canon a300 and $45 to $59 a card for 128-512 cards) I would have paid roughly $350 in film and processing costs alone.

A 4 MP camera would be excellent. You can see some of my photos at http://dkinner.tripod.com/cruisinwyo.html

You click on the pic of the ship at night and you will see what zooming in at faster film speeds will do to a picture. Get into the photo album itself and you will see what a great, larger shot the camera can take. These were set on the mid range settings (for size and quality) and did excellent I thought. And any pics that you are not fond of... trash em! Then if you want some "normal" prints of the photos, take the cards or discs to Walmart ect and they will print them for you at about 25 cents a print.

I would most def get it and spend several weeks playing with it and become comfortable with it and what it can do. I can vouch for the Canon cameras.

Plus I got some killer video of stuff that was kind of fun with my lil a300.

$19 for the 15 min IC3 rechargeable battery packs at walmart and $15 for an extra set of 4 batteries. I am in love with these. It has saved me a ton of money and I get about 100 photos on a single charge! best buy I ever made! Wife and kids excluded :D

I have my settings up in Super Fine mode...

Using a 2 GB flash card, I get about 550 pictures...

The size of the pictures is 3264 X 2448 ... and VERY high definition...

I took a picture of the Norwiegen Dawn when it came in the other day (after the wave) ... and I could see the men working on the aft balcony's that were effected ....

My sony 150 is about the size of a deck cards, so it is small. Picture quality? It is a 7 meg camera that, according to the websites, takes outstanding pics.

Underwater pics? WHy bother with krappy disposables???Sony makes an excellent underwater case for this camera.

Like to use filters, like polarizers, to get that perfect shot?

Sony makes an adapter to let you use filters with it. I also have an extra telephoto lens.

The 150 has been discontinuned, but if you look around, you can find a 150,underwater housing and lens adapter for under$500.

Oh, and I got the optional slave flash and man that thing really helps make for some great night time outdoor and indoor shots!

Bear in mind that when you get a 7m camera, you are also probably getting better pq in areas other than detail. These include optic quality, processing and overall rendition.

Besides, with 7m cameras selling for as low as $300, there's little reason to get a 4 or even a 5m camera. Do a search on the net and get one...

since you've never used a digital camera before I would recommend a Kodak, one that's simple and easy to use. It's pretty much similar to a point and shoot except its digital so you can view and see what photos you like, want to save, print...etc.

I got a Kodak as my first digital camera and I love it. I took it on my cruise last April and it worked awesome. Never had any problems, and it's small enough to carry around. The batteries last a while as well, as long as you charge them to its full potential.

They're pretty cheap these days too, about $150-$200. The only problem that I've had is that I got water in it this winter and I need to get the moist out, but I still wouldnt trade that camera for anything.

Oh I should probably add that I'm minoring in Photo at college, and its my favorite digital camera, next to the digital SLR which are $800-$900.

if you have any other questions, just ask. :)

Love em! I'm by no means a photography expert but depending on what you go with they take some great pictures! I'm also in love with the fact that you can preview them and delte and re-shoot (given time).

We bought our first one back in 01 or 02 I think it was. Unfortunately, it was stolen last year. We liked it so much we purchased the same style, newer model and still love it. It was a Canon. Been a great little camera, easy to use and lots of great features!

Just do your homework when looking around for what you want. A couple good links to review sites were posted. Take the time to make sure you're making a good choice. Personally for certain electronics, if the price is within the ballpark, I prefer to shop locally just in case I have any problems. However, frequently you can find amazing savings online. Just make sure they're reputable.

Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou Everyone! I feel like you're all pro's and I'm the new kid on the block! I've learned alot from all of you.. Each offering great tidbits...

How easy was this for you the first time using????????? Did you pick it up quickly or did it really take you some time to learn it?

Carrie

I have a Nikon 5700. I've used it for three years and I'm completely converted to digital. I shoot at the max MP and highest quality and I have no problem with the print quality. Don't get wrapped around the MP axle. MP's are important, to a point. If you are only going to print out 4X6 prints, a 2.1 MP camera is all you will need. The human eye can only resolve detail to 2.1 MP in a 4X6 photo. In an 8X10 the eye can only resolve detail to 3.2 MP. Anything you shoot above is for clipping and enlarging.

For those that say don't use digital zoom, I disagree, under special circumstances. If you do your own editing and printing, DONT use digital zoom. However, if you have your pictures processed at Costco or Walmart, etc, use the digital zoom to frame your picture.

One very special option that digital offers is the panorama feature. I shoot quite a lot of pictures that are "stitched" together, something that would be impossible with 35mm.

A digital camera is the way to go. 4 or 5 megapixels are all that you need. It's great that you can retake a shot after seeing in the LCD that it isn't right and there are so many options now days for getting prints made, either at home or from in-store or over the Internet. My AOS photos are a mouse click below. I just couldn't share my 35 mm prints like that. Scans of prints look horrible on most consumer scanners.

My advice is to make sure you have at least a 512 MB memory card before you go on your trip. That way you can shoot with abandon without having to reduce the image quality in order to save space on the card. Don't go on vacation with only that card that came with the camera, but take that one too.

The salesperson was misleading when he said the digital camera was not better than film cameras. If you compared a cheap digital to a high end slr film camera, then yes he is right. But, if you are talking about a decent brand (Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc...) and comparing it to a film camera of similar price... the digital will blow it away. I will put my digital pictures up against any film camera, at any price, and have no doubt which look best.

I routinely take hundreds of beautiful pictures with my Canon on our trips and cruises. The increase in quality, money saved on film and developing, time saved from not scanning them, and far less stuff to drag along with you, are all great reasons to go digital. If you want to make prints, take the media cards, CD, etc... to Walgreen's / wherever, and have them printed for cheap. I print my own 8 X 10's, and 5 X 7's, etc... with an Epson photo printer, but have used the printing places as well. You can also choose to just look at them on the computer or online...but atleast you have that choice.

You don't need to spend a fortune on it. Just get a Canon, Nikon or Sony, with atleast 3.2 MP (mostly dictates the size....and 3.2 MP will print 8 X 10's), in your price range, some rechargeable batteries, and a couple of 256 MB or higher media cards, and you can take all the pictures you can stand.

Also, I have taken some stunning pictures using my camera's digital zoom, though optical is your first choice. I have the online pics to prove it, if you or anyone is interested. It's 1/2 the camera and 1/2 the user, when it comes to taking a great picture. So, don't believe what you hear about digital zooms being bad.

Digital cameras can be as user friendly or as creatively complex as you need them to be. It's all up to how much you want to do with it.

Digital "zoom" is certainly NOT bad. But, it is not really zoom. It is more like the camera doing some cropping on its own. Just like if you were to have a picture on your computer and then only select a certain area to print off. If you did not enlarge the cropped area then there is no loss in resolution, if you tried to blow up that small area to a much larger picture then there would be some loss in resolution.

Every digital camera that I have ever seen Sony, Kodak, Olympus, Fuji...etc, has a pause or break in the "zoom" when you reach the end of your optical and beginning of digital, so you will know when you start "cropping" the photo.

All of my pics were taken with a digital (that may be why they're all online). It started as a 1mp, then I upgraded to a 3mp. It's Olympus. I love that little camera! :)

With a digital, you can see if the pic came out or not - so there's no worry how your vacation photos turned out.

Definately go digital. My hubby got me my first digital for Christmas, Canon A85. 4 megapixel. What a camera. I love it. Very simple to use and I am a picture taking newbie. You can use the extras or just point and shoot. Take videos too. The only down side is it take rechargeable batteries. Gotta always make sure you have 2 sets of batteries ready to go. This camera was $280.00. Takes black and white and sepia(the pinkish/redish tone to the pictures) I cant describe it. Here is a link to 2 pictures I took with it while in FL on vacation this winter.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v151/claysctfan/CanaveralNationalSeashore.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v151/claysctfan/HardRockandNBACity.jpg

My brother in law has a Casio Exilfim(something like that) and it is also great. His is even easier to use, not as many special features but still takes videos.. Size of a credit card but of course a little thicker, it can fit in your pocket. His takes a lithium battery which I like.

Whatever camera you get look for Optical zoom, digital zoom is ok but pictures can get really fuzzy.

Brenda

Definately go digital. My hubby got me my first digital for Christmas, Canon A85. 4 megapixel. What a camera. I love it. Very simple to use and I am a picture taking newbie. You can use the extras or just point and shoot. Take videos too. The only down side is it take rechargeable batteries. Gotta always make sure you have 2 sets of batteries ready to go. This camera was $280.00. Takes black and white and sepia(the pinkish/redish tone to the pictures) I cant describe it. Here is a link to 2 pictures I took with it while in FL on vacation this winter.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v151/claysctfan/CanaveralNationalSeashore.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v151/claysctfan/HardRockandNBACity.jpg

My brother in law has a Casio Exilfim(something like that) and it is also great. His is even easier to use, not as many special features but still takes videos.. Size of a credit card but of course a little thicker, it can fit in your pocket. His takes a lithium battery which I like.

Whatever camera you get look for Optical zoom, digital zoom is ok but pictures can get really fuzzy.

Brenda

This is really 'strange'. My name is 'Brenda', avid Nascar fan, only a Junior #8 fan, married to an Aquarius. ARE you a 'Litte E' race fan:confused:

We have a Sony 3.2 digital and we hate it. We are trying to order a Nikon D70 but friends tell us to get a Canon Rebel:rolleyes: (lighter)

So can anyone recommend a digital for taking pictures on an Alaskan cruise? I guess it needs a good zoom lens?

I think you have to go with the Digital SLR (Canon or Nikon 1200$) interchangeable lenses for closeups in ALASKA.

'Brenda'

I bought my husband a 4.0 megapixel Kodak Easyshare camera for Christimas 2003. I was totally in the dark about these but my daughter had one and recommended it highly. Also purchased the "dock" which keeps the rechargable battery charged when not in use. So no need to buy batteries. Anyway, we love it!!!!!!! He has used it on a regular basis not only for pleasure but business too. Purchased a larger card (will hold more pics) for our vacation to Mazatlan Mexico last September. What I like is if you take a bad picture you see it right away and can delete. Also will hold short videos for special times when you want a video. Real easy to download into computer from dock - just push a button. Also software is easy easy easy to use. Recently purchased a new printer (Hewlett Packard $99.00) which prints out AMAZING prints. And I only print ones I really want - Others go on a disk for storage or for viewing on our large screen tv thru our dvd player. So I say, YES buy a digital. BUT for use around water best to pick up one or two throw-away cameras.

This is a timely thread for me as I'm looking to get another digital camera (I lost my first one on our Dec cruise) for my May 8 So. Carib cruise.

Two questions:

1/ When I look at camera features it has optical zoom and digital zoom stats. I know all of you have said get optical (and this was a feature my last camera apparently didn't have) but I'm confused about both stats especially when digital zoom is longer.

2/ St. Thomas is our first port and they say cameras are a great buy there. Please let me know any of you who have priced cameras on St. Thomas and would it be wise for me to wait and buy the camera there.

As always, thanks for the info in advance fellow cruisers!

Archived