NCL Dawn compared to Princess - Grand class

jlsanta

Have sailed on the Grand Princess and loved it, how does NCL Dawn compare, ( I dont mean looks, I ahve toured the Dawm , so saw the decor..etc... which I thought was great ) but I am interested in your actual cruise experience, and which one you prefered...
thank you!

sailing on the Dawn next Sunday!!! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

NCL Dawn 6/2004
Grand Princess 9/2003
Disney Magic 2002
Carnival Celebration 1993

We sailed both the Dawn and the Golden Princess. What we found better on the Dawn was the Freestyle Dining with a choice of 10 restaurants. We also liked the musicians in the various lounges.
On Princess we preferred their swimming pools, one indoor and one outdoor and both open 24 hours. Since Dawn sails out of New York year round, they really should have a movable roof over their pool.
We enjoyed both ships but give the edge to Norwegian Dawn mainly due to the many dining options. Her 10 and 11 day Caribbean cruises out of New York from November to February will have us sailing her again.

Sailed on the Golden Princess in Feb and the Dawn two weeks ago. Loved both ships for different reasons! Loved the freestyle which is really on both ships with the personal choice dining. The restaurant selection on the Dawn was AMAZING....the food in the restaurants was better on the Dawn, on the Princess their buffet was much better. The entertainment I thought was better on the Princess much more options. The pools were better on the Princess again more options with many more pools. The Spa on the dawn was better than the princess with the relaxation areas, the lap pool, the big plunge pool and big jacuzzi. The gyms on both were both very good. The service on the Dawn was impeccable I must say and I thought the Princess was very good as well but the Dawn really excelled there. The Dawn I found a little smaller of a ship with less options of walking around into lounges etc. We had a mini suite on both. The Princesses room was better but the Dawns bathroom was amazing....

The embarking/disembarking was faster on the Princess but thats probaly due to NY! Either way you cannot lose both ships are beautiful just different which is what life is about.... Try the Dawn you will not be sorry you did.

Norweigan Dawn 5/04
Golden Princess 1/04

My wife and I have been on the Dawn & sister
ship Star as well as the Golden Princess. All
of these ships are excellent and no matter which
one you choose, you will definitely be more
than satisfied. The Golden is slightly larger
than the Dawn, but the difference isn't very
noticeable. We really liked the freestyle
dining on Dawn & Star, particularly the Japanese
Teppanyaki restaurant. The shows are good on
all of the ships, but I will say that the show
venue in the main theater of Dawn & Star is
absolutely beautiful, with great sight lines
no matter where you may be sitting. We are
booked on Star Princess for december, but I
will be looking at a future cruise on Star or
Dawn down the road. NCL has come a long way
since my first cruise on Starward in 1978.

thanks for the replies.
I am guessing that the only thing I will miss on the Dawn as compared to the Grand Princess is the pools that are so great on Princess, but I am prepared for that.

cant wait til Sunday!!

NCL Dawn 6/2004
Grand Princess 9/2003
Disney Magic 2002
Carnival Celebration 1993

Archived