Best Beach to see Turtles?

Shininghalo1

What's the best beach on Barbados to go to (on our own--probably by taxi) to snorkel and hope to see sea turtles? We don't want to do a tour, but one of my friends who's going has a lifelong dream to swim near a sea turtle.

Any advice would help!!

Just came back from the summit. Carlisle bay is the best! No need to take a catamaran....i just grab a taxi from port... Its about 15 minutes. You can go directly through the boatyard and pay 10.00 which includes a free drink, chairs and umbrella, and the transportation back to the ship. Its worth every penny! Right there at the beach you can find people to take you where the turtles are for less money.:d

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice!! Our taxi driver dropped us at Payne's Bay for a few hours. There was a catamaran there, and my friend and I just swam over and joined the outskirts of the group as they fed the turtles. Swam with them for a long time, and got some great pictures!!

We just spent a week in Barbados and visited the Side Shore bar on Rockley Beach twice. It is located just past the Accra Beach Hotel. Not nearly as crowded or noisy as the Boatyard.

We paid $15.00 for 2 lounges and an umbrella. The money you pay for the lounges and umbrella gets you coupons for $15.00 worth of food and drink. The staff was very courteous and friendly (service a bit slow, but we expect that in Barbados). Bathrooms were clean, and an outdoor shower is available.

The beach was clean, white sand. Water was warm, not too rough, and the bottom was sandy. Turtles were fairly prevelant just off the shore. In fact, my husband stepped on one while swimming.

Archived