transatlantic weather in oct/nov

wulber

We did a westbound TA out of Barcelona in 2009 at the end of November and it was beautiful. It was 75 in Tenerife and it got warmer every day from there. We spent every day during the crossing at the pool and it was miserable hot by the time we got to the Bahamas. The seas were smooth on the whole crossing as well. That being said, I think it was different the next year on the TAs so I guess it could go either way.

We sailed Indy'a first west bound TA leaving Southampton November, after the infamous Bay of Biscay, which was calm, the weather just got earmer and hotter. Crossing the pond, the sea was like a mill pond. Will do another one when I have the chance.

I was on a Westbound in November of 2010 and outside of New York we had 70ft waves, we had to stay in our cabins for about 2 days.

I tried to add a link that showed pictures but it isn't working, sorry

Just remember October/November is still hurricane season, so that can provide an added dimension;). In general a southern route (Mediterranean to Florida) has a better chance of calmer weather than cruises that originate in northern Europe. Our last TA was late November from Barcelona and the weather was spectacular both in temps and calm seas.

We did the Liberty OTS TA this past Oct/Nov from BCN to FLL and the weather was terrific most days. During the first week's port stops, the temps were quite mild, making for very comfortable touring during the day. During the second week, which was the actual crossing, we had some cool and rainy temps for a day, but for the most part, the weather was lovely, getting warmer and warmer as we approached the east coast of the U.S.

As with any sailing, you can't control the weather, and you just have to decide if it's a chance you're willing to take. Technically, it's still hurricane season at that time of year, but we were lucky, and we had very good weather. All that said, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Archived