What does a tree-hugger do in Marseilles?

schooly2

We are thinking we will leave for the day, maybe see the calanques by Cassis?

Seriously, though, I don't enjoy shopping, and my attention span matches my 11year-old sons when it comes to full-day historical tours. I do love art and architecture, but we have limits since we are traveling with 3 younger children. Are there enough things in Marseille to have a satisfying DIY day with the family, or should we head out of town for the day?

We are thinking we will leave for the day, maybe see the calanques by Cassis?

Seriously, though, I don't enjoy shopping, and my attention span matches my 11year-old sons when it comes to full-day historical tours. I do love art and architecture, but we have limits since we are traveling with 3 younger children. Are there enough things in Marseille to have a satisfying DIY day with the family, or should we head out of town for the day?

Seriously,if I were you,I would go to Les Baux.It is an artist colony( with shops and some restos),but it it is set in old Roman ruins that used to a quarry.Going up to it one way is breathtaking.You do not have to spend the whole day there,but I would almost say all of you would like it and I know that is going waaay out on a limb.Maybe other's would comment.:D

You could consider taking a boat trip to the Chateau d'If, the island-prison (France's answer to Alcatraz). It's a lovely ride and children should like the Chateau itself (get them to read The Count of Monte Cristo first if they're old enough). Then take that the same boat on to the Frioul Islands which have lots of pretty creeks and beaches for a picnic or harbourside restaurants for a sit-down lunch.

Alternatively a boat trip to the calanques is a highlight of any tourist trip to MRS. Or you could catch the little tourist train either up the hill to Notre Dame de la Garde (with fantastic views across the city and the bay) or around the Old Town. Or the hop-on-hop-off bus around the city. More about what to see in Marseille and how to get around by public transport: http://www.marseille-provence.info/marseille-marseilles.html

Personally, I wouldn't go to Les Baux if you are only in town for one day - it's quite tricky to get to and you'd lose a lot of time travelling there.

I understand that you need to take a shuttle to Old Port area (8 euros each?) .... are there also taxì`s right at the port? We are wondering if we should take a taxi to the bus/train station for a trip to Aix for the AM & then back to Marseille for a little sightseeing. Or is this too much planned for the day?

There is a private tour - up to 8 people Marseille + Aix , for a reasonable price however there hasn't been any interest from our roll call to share this.

The Panier & Chateau d'If sound lovely however the Saturday markets in Aix do too.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

A great tour would be the villages of the Luberon. Gorgeous scenery and undisturbed by tourists!Great waking and pace as you wish. We went with Sylvain Martinez for http://www.taxi-provencetours.com/private-sightseeing-provence-tour/organized-tours.html. A very knowledgeable but quiet frenchmen. He will answer any questions you have but not gab the entire trip. He is young and from the area and has the patience to provide a fun tour that includes kids, or teens.

good luck and check out his website. Our group of 5 loved our tour!

Archived