Silly almost last-minute questions about AP tour to DZ Ruins

We've decided to take the AP tour to the DZ ruins when we're in Progreso next week. I'm all set with info about the time the tour leaves, how long it lasts, where we get our tickets - all the really important stuff. But I have the following last minute questions:

1. Are mosquitoes a problem? Should we take bug spray?

2. What kind of footwear is recommended? Are good walking sandals good enough? Can it get muddy there (don't want to ruin a new pair of shoes...)

3. Is the cenote a separate stop from the ruins? They say you can only take a camera and water, but if it's the same stop wouldn't we need towels?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Erin

We've decided to take the AP tour to the DZ ruins when we're in Progreso next week. I'm all set with info about the time the tour leaves, how long it lasts, where we get our tickets - all the really important stuff. But I have the following last minute questions:

1. Are mosquitoes a problem? Should we take bug spray? We;ve been to DZ 3 times and have never been bothered by bugs but I always take a tiny bottle of repellent in my backpack just in case.

2. What kind of footwear is recommended? Are good walking sandals good enough? Can it get muddy there (don't want to ruin a new pair of shoes...)I alwayas wear my tennies and caryy flip flops in my pack for after the cenote. Never been there when I saw mud but if it were to rain I could see where it might be muddy.

3. Is the cenote a separate stop from the ruins? They say you can only take a camera and water, but if it's the same stop wouldn't we need towels? Cenote is inside the ruins toward the end of it. Carry a backpack and put a towel inside if you are going to get in the cenote. It is slippery around the edge so you need to be careful getting in and out. If you don't want to do cenote, just pass it by to the left and there is a whole other part of the ruins that they never told us about on the tour-very cool stuff there, too.

I've been told that the DZ museum has now reopened about being closed for a long time for renovations. If it is open you should try to see it.

Thanks in advance for any advice! I have answered your questions about in the quote!!

Erin

Have a great time!

we went in sept. and it was wet so there were tons of mosquitos we were all borry spray from each other and I'm from Alabama so we see are share. It wasnt so wet that you couldn't wear tennis shoes which I would recommend if you plan on climbing them. The water pool ( cenote) did not have a good flow of water when we were there so it was real slimmy. No one from our group jumped in. Overall the excursions was amazing I loved seeing the ruins. Just remember WATER, BUGSPRAY, SUNSCREEN and you'll do find it wasnt that far of a ride maybe around 40 mins on an aircondition bus with a guide telling you things.

Please help keep the cenotes crystal clear and chemical free by NOT using bugspray or sun tan lotion before swimming in them. There are no showers or changerooms at the cenote either. The cenotes are part of the ground water system for the peninsula and are all connected - there is always a current at the bottom but if it has rained, rocks will be slippery (not slimy).

Archived