Teens in cabin?

baileybaby

I am traveling on the Epic with my 3 grandchildren..18 yr old girl, boys 17, 16. I tried to book adjoining rooms from NCL and was told I could not. She said that it is company policy that every room must have one person over 21 in it. I even offered to pay for myself in two rooms..which she said could not be done either. :confused:

So we are going to be jammed into one room for the cruise. NOT what I envisioned when I planned this trip!

Every time I look at photos of the cabins..particularly with the pullman down, my claustrophobia kicks in!! I think I will be spending all of my time out on the balcony!

Just back from the Epic and didn't want to share this until I was sure we wouldn't have a problem. A couple of months back our TA shared with us that NCL had changed their policy about children being in cabin near their parents on the Epic. We had her double and triple check with the NCL group dept. head and we were assured this was the new pollicy although it has not been updated on their site. So bottom line is we had "children" ages 17 and 18 in the cabin next to parents. This was not a connecting cabin. We were told they could also be in an inside directly across from us.

Bottom line is, we booked this way and had a note on our reservation to that effect. We did not have a problem at check in and the check in personel did know about this new policy. The contract we signed did not specify this and I wish they would update their website to that effect.I was a bit concerned we might have a problem at check in I was given the name and number of the groups dept. if we had been questioned. All is fine and I'm glad they a more reasonable policy due to the small size of the cabins and very limited connecting cabins. Hope this info helps someone!

Found this on any CC forum... ohionana26, please ask again at NCL.

Good Luck! Enjoy your cruise either way.:)

Found this on any CC forum... ohionana26, please ask again at NCL.

Good Luck! Enjoy your cruise either way.:)

The poster mentioned having the number of someone in the "GROUPS DEPARTMENT" perhaps this is a policy for school groups ect travelling together and not for families travelling together.

Our last NCL cruise was in March of this year. Our teens were next door and we had to book one parent in each room. The rooms however were setup with a king in one cabin and 3 singles in the other. Why don't they just be done with the games. They are next door for goodness sakes! So we just did the regular extra key thing and we were good to go.

• 2 weeks later...
The poster mentioned having the number of someone in the "GROUPS DEPARTMENT" perhaps this is a policy for school groups ect travelling together and not for families travelling together.

Our last NCL cruise was in March of this year. Our teens were next door and we had to book one parent in each room. The rooms however were setup with a king in one cabin and 3 singles in the other. Why don't they just be done with the games. They are next door for goodness sakes! So we just did the regular extra key thing and we were good to go.

What "extra key thing"? Would you mind sharing exactly how you worked this out? I just booked two cabins (1 for my husband and me, one for our three kids), but with me booked officially in one cabin with two of the kids and he in the other with the third. We figure we'll just switch it up when we get on board but we're not sure how to go about it.

I (16) have stayed on a separate floor from my parents before. At the time I was 15, and my sister stayed with me, who was 9. So, a few doors down? I would say it is absolutely no big deal.

We did it last year. My kids were 12, 15 and 18 at the time. We booked it with an adult in each cabin, but once on the ship, we went to the front desk and switched things around. At first they seemed a little reluctant, until they saw that one of the "kids" was 18. We were more than 5 cabins away, though, more like 8 cabins and around a corner. Close enough for me to go check on them any time. We had no problems whatsoever. As others have said, you know your own kids and what they can handle.

FWIW, I have chaperoned several middle school and high school field trips and have had kids get into trouble. Some kids can be trusted. Some can't. I'm doing another trip this Friday and I'm sure it will go well. 7th grade girls and I know the ones in my group well enough to know they won't be a problem. Unlike the 7th grade girls I had 6 years ago that I knew would be trouble... and they were!

I think you KNOW your kids and no I do not think predators are stalking the ship (do bad things EVER happen yes) but I do NOT believe there are stalkers lying in wait for my kids.

Ditto, but then again I have an only child, so we will probably always travel 3 to a room!

What "extra key thing"? Would you mind sharing exactly how you worked this out? I just booked two cabins (1 for my husband and me, one for our three kids), but with me booked officially in one cabin with two of the kids and he in the other with the third. We figure we'll just switch it up when we get on board but we're not sure how to go about it.

Either when you check in (before boarding) or right after you board go to the guest relations desk & make the room key switch.

I think she needs to pass on the upgrade. There is too much that go wrong. And because they dont sleep in the room with the parents at home doesnt mean you turn it into girls gone wild away from home. Even though the girls are sweet, the jerks and pervs that may be on the cruise with them are not. I always put my boys in their room, but it is a connecting room so if there is an issue, either I can be there quicky or dad.

• 1 month later...
I am traveling on the Epic with my 3 grandchildren..18 yr old girl, boys 17, 16. I tried to book adjoining rooms from NCL and was told I could not. She said that it is company policy that every room must have one person over 21 in it. I even offered to pay for myself in two rooms..which she said could not be done either. :confused:

So we are going to be jammed into one room for the cruise. NOT what I envisioned when I planned this trip!

Every time I look at photos of the cabins..particularly with the pullman down, my claustrophobia kicks in!! I think I will be spending all of my time out on the balcony!

I'm sure this is against the rules, but my sister booked my daughter and I in a room and my husband and our 16 year old son in a seperate room a few rooms down. She said we could just switch when we got there an no one would care. Now I'm wondering how room keys are going to work, ect. Quite frankly, my husband snores so I would be nice to have another place to escape!

I (16) have stayed on a separate floor from my parents before. At the time I was 15, and my sister stayed with me, who was 9. So, a few doors down? I would say it is absolutely no big deal.

That's our plan. Our kids will be 12 and 16 and 3 doors down. How did you all reserve the room? And how did you work out the room key issue if you had to book an adult into each room? thanks!

I think she needs to pass on the upgrade. There is too much that go wrong. And because they dont sleep in the room with the parents at home doesnt mean you turn it into girls gone wild away from home. Even though the girls are sweet, the jerks and pervs that may be on the cruise with them are not. I always put my boys in their room, but it is a connecting room so if there is an issue, either I can be there quicky or dad.

I think you're imagining dangers that aren't really there. It's really difficult for a ne'erdowell to keep two teenagers quiet at once. While he's shutting one of them up, the other will be shouting blue murder. The biggest danger is a group of at least two stewards, probably three or four, armed with pass keys, chloroform and laundry baskets - but if that's worrying you, better to stay at home. With the door locked. And they don't leave the house till they're 21. ;)

I think you're imagining dangers that aren't really there. It's really difficult for a ne'erdowell to keep two teenagers quiet at once. While he's shutting one of them up, the other will be shouting blue murder. The biggest danger is a group of at least two stewards, probably three or four, armed with pass keys, chloroform and laundry baskets - but if that's worrying you, better to stay at home. With the door locked. And they don't leave the house till they're 21. ;)

LOL :D If I hear muffled screams coming from the laundry trolleys I will be sure to alert security!!

Our kids have to call us when thye get into thier cabin. I always called back to make sure they were actually calling from the cabin.

The painters tape is to see if anybody left the cabin at night. Hard to reseal it to the doorjamb and door if you are inside. It doesn't prevent the door opening.

Our kids have to call us when thye get into thier cabin. I always called back to make sure they were actually calling from the cabin.

That's a really good idea.

The painters tape is to see if anybody left the cabin at night. Hard to reseal it to the doorjamb and door if you are inside. It doesn't prevent the door opening.

But... doesn't that just mean they'd invite a friend back to the room to reseal the door? I'm playing Devil's advocate there, but that's what I'd do ...

Maybe superglue next time? :D

She has super sweet girls. One is almost 15 and the other almost 17. They have side by side cabins now but she would love the space on the aft. The girls are the quiet love to stay in and read type. I'm so over protective I'm not sure I could do it. It is really her choice but was curious what others would do.

I would not worry about it. We had 14, 9, and 7 year old girl stay in one room, and 13, 12, and 10 year old boys stay in another, and it was fine. It did not even occur to us that there would be any reasons not to let them stay by themselves.

Having said that- the crew does tend to flirt with pretty young girls and the girls eat it up!

A crew member flirted with my nine year old. It was hilarious; she did not know what to do. Later at dinner, she, her older sister, mother, and aunt started to discuss the different options that she had. It was good to get this guidance in a safe environment like a cruise ship, rather than if it happened to her at school, or the mall, or where ever.

Archived