Anyone do the Vatican Museum guided tours for individuals?

It took a little over a week for us to hear from them. Sent one fax on a Thursday, waited one week and resent the same fax again. (Thought maybe I had the wrong fax number). Anyway, when my husband went to the office on Saturday morning, there it was. I was like you. Had read that most people had heard from the Vatican in 1-3 days, and it had been a week. Was getting a little nervous about having to make alternate arrangements, but it worked out. Good luck!

It took a little over a week for us to hear from them. Sent one fax on a Thursday, waited one week and resent the same fax again. (Thought maybe I had the wrong fax number). Anyway, when my husband went to the office on Saturday morning, there it was. I was like you. Had read that most people had heard from the Vatican in 1-3 days, and it had been a week. Was getting a little nervous about having to make alternate arrangements, but it worked out. Good luck!

ok, maybe I will fax againn..no word...

We received our confirmation within 2 days. We just got back and if you want to visit in the morning this is the way to do it. The line to get in was at about 1/2 mile long. We just made our way along the line to the exit door to the right of the enterance. There was a security guard there who allowed us to go in 15 min prior to our time slotted and bypass the long lines. The line was much shorter in the afternoon around 2pm. The tour was excellent and they gave each person headphones so you could hear the tour operator throught the entire tour which allowed you a little freedom. I would recommend looking for the "Vatican Museum" on a map and going there. We did go to the Vatican then ask for directions to the museum which took a bit of time.

I sent my fax in to reserve a guided tour at the Vatican this morning and received a reply in less than 3 hours! Must have been my lucky day! :)

Beachcruzer--

Can you tell me the exact number you dialed....? I have sent 2 faxes now and nothing! They say they went through so I don't understand what the problem is.....

Thanks

Jessica,

I think I sent my fax to 06 69 88 5100. I have my fax coversheet at the office, so I can check tomorrow. That number matches the Vatican website and is also on the confirmation notice they sent me. Good luck!

LT

We had reservations later in the day but the taxi we hired (the trains were on strike that day) took us to the entrance of the Museum as our first stop. There we were met by a private tour guide (Lorenzo) who charged 150E for a 2-hour tour (6 of us in the group). If we had used the Vatican's private tour guide it would have been 22E per person anyway. We went ahead and took his offer and it was probably the best decision we made all day. We were able to cut in line and had a wonderful tour of the Pinoteca, Vatican Museum, Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's Basilica. He then walked us out of the Piazza to meet our cab driver. If I find his card I'll post his information. He gave us a great lesson in art history, was very knowledgable with the works there and seemed to know everyone that worked at the Vatican.

I e:mailed a request to the Vatican for a Scavi tour using the e:mail someone listed here, but have not heard back from them -- it's been almost 2 weeks -- this is for a September 16 or 17 tour. Do you think I should e:mail them again? Or try faxing?

Thanks,

Gracie

I have repeatedly emailed the address listed on the web site for Scavi and all I get back is the notice that it is undeliverable. I am thinking they are no longer accepting email reservations. Some one posted on another board that they had the concierge at their hotel call and it worked. We are not at a hotel so no concierge. I would love to hear if anyone has faxed for the Scavi tour and gotten a response. And if so please tell us the number you faxed. I was thinking of calling but having just read the warning in large letters not to phone I guess I won't try the phone.

We had reservations later in the day but the taxi we hired (the trains were on strike that day) took us to the entrance of the Museum as our first stop. There we were met by a private tour guide (Lorenzo) who charged 150E for a 2-hour tour (6 of us in the group). If we had used the Vatican's private tour guide it would have been 22E per person anyway. We went ahead and took his offer and it was probably the best decision we made all day. We were able to cut in line and had a wonderful tour of the Pinoteca, Vatican Museum, Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's Basilica. He then walked us out of the Piazza to meet our cab driver. If I find his card I'll post his information. He gave us a great lesson in art history, was very knowledgable with the works there and seemed to know everyone that worked at the Vatican.

Hi Deb,

Just checking in to see if you found his card. Did you have to buy the 12E entrance ticket in addition to the 150E?

Thanks

Cadreamer I too keep getting my request returned.

Does anyone have another link or address for the SCAVI tour reservations other than the Uff.scavi@fabric one.

Thanks,

I e-mailed them at uff.scavi@fabricsp.va on August 1 and got an automatically-generated response the next day. I'm still waiting to see if they can schedule a Scavi tour for me.

Archived