High Recommendation in Tampa

Chick's pal

I would like to highly recommend the Hampton Inn & Suites, Ybor City for your pre- or post-cruise lodging. We were there mid-April and very much enjoyed the property and the surrounding area.

The hotel itself is about 5 months old (I guess November 2004), so everything is in new condition. The bedding was upgraded, the decor very current and the amenities copious---microwave and fridge, free internet, lapdesk, cable, video games, pay-per-view. They had a laundry area, which we used and found great. Free breakfast with a wide variety of hot and cold foods. And the staff was super friendly and capable.

This hotel is located in a historic area that is great for photo-taking and strolling. It gets crazy at night, as it is a nightclub area, but the hotel is at the end of the neighborhood and noise / loitering was never a problem.

It is VERY convenient to cruise passengers. We could see our ship from our guest room window! There is a free shuttle to the ship OR you can take the streetcar (stop across the street) for $1.50 per person to the cruise terminal.

Restaurants and shopping are within a couple blocks' walk. They have mall-type shops like Victoria's Secret and Sunglass Hut, but also independent stores like a fantastic vintage clothing shop and a cigar store. Some of these places stayed open until 3:00 AM! A movie theater is also nearby.

Taxi from the airport is a flat rate of $20.

Again, I highly recommend this convenient, clean, safe and well-appointed hotel.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for this post ! We will be on the Miracle in November and I am looking for a hotel on the Trolley line so that we might go to the aquarium the day before our cruise and then on to The Columbia Restaurant in Ybor (our favorite!) for dinner. One question though- do you think there is a place near there to buy a few bottles of Coke and water to take them with us on the ship?? I can't remember exactly where the Hampton is. We usually buy them when we get to town rather than cart them with us from New York- especially now with the weight restrictions on luggage lowered on most airlines!

Thanks!

Sue

Archived