Cancellation Policy for Shore Excursions?

AMAC86

I am sailing on the Summit and have booked an excursion that I am thinking of cancelling as I have a potential reservation on another excursion which may or may not sail, depending on the number of people that show up.

The Summit cruise that I am on is leaving on Saturday the 14th, and the excursion I am thinking of canceling is for Monday the 16th.

Does anyone have any idea how late I can cancel? I called Celebrity--they said to cancel over the phone you need to do it 4 days prior to sailing, but that you can do it onboard at guest services and get your money refunded that way--if you let them know in advance as soon as possible.

Is this correct?

This is correct but the timing of giving the cancellation notice on board is important.

There is a cut off for excursion cancellation. It is usually sometime the second evening before the excursion. So your Monday excursion will probably have to be cancelled by sometime Saturday evening. The only time I've seen shorter deadlines is for excursions the day after embarkation if that is not a sea day. I've also heard of deadline exceptions being made in cases of injury or illness. The exact time of the cancellation deadline is generally published in the on-board excursion listing included with the daily programs distributed on embarkation day. If you have any question on this check with the excursion desk on board.

Excursions cancelled on line, before the deadline for on line changes, will be credited back to the charge card used to pay for them. Excursions cancelled on board will be credited to your on-board account.

This is correct but the timing of giving the cancellation notice on board is important.

There is a cut off for excursion cancellation. It is usually sometime the second evening before the excursion. So your Monday excursion will probably have to be cancelled by sometime Saturday evening. The only time I've seen shorter deadlines is for excursions the day after embarkation if that is not a sea day. I've also heard of deadline exceptions being made in cases of injury or illness. The exact time of the cancellation deadline is generally published in the on-board excursion listing included with the daily programs distributed on embarkation day. If you have any question on this check with the excursion desk on board.

Excursions cancelled on line, before the deadline for on line changes, will be credited back to the charge card used to pay for them. Excursions cancelled on board will be credited to your on-board account.

Makes sense. Luckily the excursions we booked were only $70 per person and there are two of us. I'm pretty sure we could manage to spend $70 each in drinks.

Now I just hope this other excursion has enough people reserve it so we can know whether or not we need to cancel.

On our last cruise, while we were waiting for the future cruise person, we saw a woman throwing a total fit because they wouldn't let her cancel a cruise that was booked for the next morning. The excursion was only a little more than 12 hours away and she couldn't understand why it was a problem.

On our last cruise, while we were waiting for the future cruise person, we saw a woman throwing a total fit because they wouldn't let her cancel a cruise that was booked for the next morning. The excursion was only a little more than 12 hours away and she couldn't understand why it was a problem.
Yup, well I will cancel one excursion or the other as soon as I board. The guy in Barbados (Nicholas at Silvermoon) is very confident that the excursion will fill up by the excursion date and he will let me know by Saturday morning (before we board the ship and therefore lose cell service).

Yup, well I will cancel one excursion or the other as soon as I board. The guy in Barbados (Nicholas at Silvermoon) is very confident that the excursion will fill up by the excursion date and he will let me know by Saturday morning (before we board the ship and therefore lose cell service).

Wow - I'm really surprised. Silver Moon is one of our all time favorite excursions. We've done it 7 times over the years and it's always sold out weeks, if not months, in advance. I guess we must sail in a busier time frame or something. I hope they go for you it is a great day! Tell Nicolas or Katrina Larry Simon said Hi, and if Ben or Tony are with the crew on the sailing tell them I said hello.

Wow - I'm really surprised. Silver Moon is one of our all time favorite excursions. We've done it 7 times over the years and it's always sold out weeks, if not months, in advance. I guess we must sail in a busier time frame or something. I hope they go for you it is a great day! Tell Nicolas or Katrina Larry Simon said Hi, and if Ben or Tony are with the crew on the sailing tell them I said hello.
Haha, I'll try to remember to do that.

They said they had a charter cancel at the last minute, so they are going to use that boat for a 12 person deluxe cruise instead. The Summit is the only cruise ship in port that day.

Hmmmm... well I hope I can take them at their word and cancel as soon as I get on the ship sometime in the mid-afternoon (almost 40 hours before the excursion), seeing as they said I wouldn't be able to cancel beforehand via telephone.

Did anyone ever cancel last minute due to weather? Like if your excursion is a beach visit & it's rainy out? I also will be on Summit leaving 4/14 & the weather that week calls for rain at the ports. I'm hoping they will be brief showers at most but wouldn't want to be stuck paying for beach excursion if it's heavy or long-lasting. We've already done alot of island sightseeing on previous trips so this time we plan to taxi on our own to all the beaches - except St. Lucia. I repeatedly read that taxis on St. Lucia were very expensive & it was $30 per person each way for a taxi to Reduit so I booked the ship's excursion for $30.75. It made sense because for just an extra 75 cents we're getting beach chairs, a drink & the convenience & peace of mind of the ship's transportation. (Didn't want to risk that others would be available to share a cab when we wanted to go since most people do more extensive tours on St Lucia.)

Hmmmm... well I hope I can take them at their word and cancel as soon as I get on the ship sometime in the mid-afternoon (almost 40 hours before the excursion), seeing as they said I wouldn't be able to cancel beforehand via telephone.

They don't do it by hours. There will be a cut off time sometime in the evening and the time will be published in the form distributed on board as I indicated above. Don't worry, you'll be able to cancel a Monday excursion on Saturday evening in every case that I've ever seen. Just check the time when you get to the cabin or by stopping by the excursion desk - if they are busy there should be copies of the form for your cruise sitting there with the cut off times listed. The biggest hassle you might face is that sometimes there is a good sized line at the excursion desk on embarkation day. If you're signing up you could just fill out a form and leave it but for cancellation you'll need to talk to someone there and might need to get them the tickets from your cabin (if they've been distributed yet).

The main reason they do this is that for most excursions they need to get a final head count to the excursion operator (they are all subcontracted) the day before the excursion. So they want the participation numbers cut off the night before that.

Archived