Stingray City for 80yr grandma and a 4yr old?

wshzgr

From the photos, it seems that the stingray city sandbar is very shallow. I am bringing my 7yr old to the stingray city. Is it a good idea to bring along 80yr grandma and a 4yr old? The grandma is in good health, can walk short distance. Is the boat ride to stingray city too rough? Thanks.

I don't know if the depth of the water changes with the tides, but it was deep when we went a couple weeks ago. When the waves come rolling in, it especially gets deep. I'm 5'6" and my head only got wet once. My friend is a good bit shorter (maybe 5'), and she was struggling when the waves would come through. These were nice smooth rolling waves, but she was trying to keep her feet planted on the ground to avoid stepping on the rays. I think it is an awesome experience though, even just watching from the boat. If it is too rough or too deep, they can always get back on. (which, by the way, it was QUITE challenging getting on and off the boat when we went. The staff of Moby Dick did their best to help us back on the boat, but the waves were rocking us pretty good.)

Thanks for the replies, TurtleTagger and blakeamy. After reading it, I did a google and most tours says the water can be 3-5 ft in the sandbar. I am short and will not be able to stand still in 5ft water. I will definitely not bring grandma and my little one. Now I am thinking maybe it is not a good idea to bring along my 7yr old who is a little timid when it comes to water. The semi-submarine is a better choice for them.

Archived