free things to do in nassau?

zetalove08

I'm wanting to shop in this port. Is there good shopping at a place within walking distance or where should I go?

Hi Misty,

Yes, that is plently of shoppoing. If you walk off the pier/docks to Bay St, you can shop 'til your credit card is full. You didn't mention what you are looking to buy, but it is all there. I believe most of the shops are to the right on Bay St. Down a few blocks you will find the famous Straw Market. It is all very walkable.

Good luck and enjoy!

We've done the National Art Museum and we found it interesting. We were there in late Nov 2011 and displays were dedicated to a local artist. It is an interesting building. Can't recall if there was a fee - sorry. We got there by walking up the hill to the Governor's/Government House and wandering from there. Sorry I don't have better directions.

Thanks Gloria! I found the museum on the web. The price is $5 for Adults, or $3 for us seniors. :D It is just past just past the Graycliff on East Hill St. and just before the St. Francis Catholic Church. Looking forward to checking it out.

scubagrrl - is it still safe do the walking tour of the staircase government housing etc? we will be docked there in september and really wanted to see these historical sights but if the crime rate is that bad maybe not lol.

Obviously I'm not Scubagirl, but I've recently been to Nassau and will going back twice in a month. The Queen's staircase is just past the emergency entrance of Princess Margaret hospital and takes you up to Fort Fincastle. Both areas were very crowded when we were there and I doubt there would be an issue with safety. Though I wouldn't suggest you go alone.

The government buildings are in a very busy area as well, just off of Bay St. on East St, a major artery. On Scrubagirl's walking tour you pass the gvt. buildings on the way to the staircase.

Enjoy, John

Archived