how to request mini fridge for medications?

Depending on what ship you're on, your cabin will already have a fridge. You can ask the steward to empty it of the fee-based sodas etc... and just use it for your meds. I believe if you request it, they will also provide you with a sharps container. There is an 800 number for the Special Needs department you can call (sorry, don't have the number on me). Just look on Carnivals website.

You will take the meds to Guest Services when on the ship and they will give you access to a refrigerator 24 hours a day. This is from Carnival:

Diabetes/ Medicine Storage

If you are traveling with injectable medication(s) and need a container for disposal, please contact the Medical Center or Housekeeping staff onboard. Staterooms are equipped with mini-bars, which are designed to maintain the temperature of beverages. Please do not use it to store medications that have specific temperature requirements. Should you need to store medicine that needs proper refrigeration, please visit Guest Services where access to a refrigerator is available 24 hours a day. Ships equipped with mini-bars are:

CARNIVAL BREEZE

CARNIVAL CONQUEST

CARNIVAL DREAM

CARNIVAL FREEDOM

CARNIVAL GLORY

CARNIVAL LEGEND

CARNIVAL LIBERTY

CARNIVAL MAGIC

CARNIVAL MIRACLE

CARNIVAL PRIDE

CARNIVAL SPIRIT

CARNIVAL SPLENDOR

CARNIVAL VALOR

http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/cruise_control/emb_guest_specials_requirements.aspx

If you go to the link above it will have the Special Needs Departments information and number and they can give you all the information you need.

Some of the room fridges are really just coolers. When you get on the ship go to Guest Services and request one of their few they keep on hand just for that purpose. (They won't give you one just to keep drinks colder.) The room steward will deliver it along with the sharps container. My DH is diabetic so we get one for him to keep his insulin in that must be refrigerated.

Glad to hear that you can get an actual refrigerator not cooler for meds. We sail on the Conquest in November and I have just been put on insulin. I don't intend to traipse down to Guest Services 5+ times a day and wait in line to get medication, go back to cabin to inject and then take it back. Of course, I'll have plan B in place to keep the medication on ice in a special dedicated cooler in case the fridge is not available. (I knew someone would reply that I might not be able to get a fridge, yadda, yadda, yadda.)

Definitely set everything up before your cruise. My cousin gives himself several shots a day and when we got to our rooms on the Dream (12/09) the room stewart was aware of it and had everything ready. Much better then waiting and having to stand in line at guest services the first day.:cool:

Archived