Rome to Tuscany before cruise

leg

We are a group of 11 who will be into Rome before we cruise out on October 26, 2012. We were wondering what would be the best way to visit Tuscany. Could we take a train from the airport when we arrive? How long would we need? Is there a better way to visit Tuscany or is it even visible? We also want to see the Vatican and Rome before we cruise. How long would we need to book a hotel and should we book one near the airport or in central Rome? I know it is alot of questions but I do not know Italy at all and their is information on the boards but I even checked the train schedule and could not even find Tuscany on it.

Thanks Brenda

The reason you can't find Tuscany on the train site is because it is a region, not a city. Unfortunately, other than a few major cities, Tuscany is not well served by train. If you want to see the hill towns, or the Chianti, you'll need a car. You could rent vans or a minibus with driver.

If you want to go by train, you can easily get to Florence or Arezzo. Lucca quite a bit farther, as is Siena. You can also reach Cortona by train but, beyond that, you'd be hard pressed to get around the region by rail.

As for Rome, I would absolutely stay in town, not out at the airport. There are hundreds of hotels to choose from, but to get the one you want (particularly for so large a group) I'd be making reservations now.

If you will only be in Rome for a night or two, you might want to stay near one of the train stations. Rome Trastevere and Rome Ostiense are on the local train line that comes in from the airport, as well as on the regional line that goes to Civitavecchia. Termini, the main train station in Rome, is also on these two lines.

Get yourself a good guide book on Rome or Italy as a whole and do some homework as to where everything is as well as the tourist sites you may want to visit.There is a LOT to see in Rome itself.I would check out Venere.com after you have looked at the areas of Rome and pick an area that would suit you all and stay in the heart of Rome.You can walk to a lot of sites,restos,shopping etc. and then you can get a van/driver to take you to the port. You do not say how long you have in Rome,and if going to Florence that would be a better fit to visit the Tuscany Region that from Rome.After reading about Rome then post some questions you may have.

Hi Brenda,

Euro cruiser is totally correct. Start planning your vacation right away. This way you can avoid disappointment, and waiting in long lineups to buy tickets for the main attractions. We are going late August, staying in Rome 5 days, before sailing out on Mariner of the Seas on Sept 1.

Rome.info is a great website with everything you need to know about Rome. Save time and money by planning and buying you tickets for the Colosseum, Vatican museum online.

We are also going into Tuscanny for a day. We strictly want to go to Florence, so the train is the faster and more economical way to go for us. 1.5 hours by train vs 2.5 to 3 hours to drive. Being such a large group, you need to get started right away if you all want to be in the same hotel. Most hotels in the older touristy part of Rome are only several floors of a building, and may simply not have the room to accommodate everyone. Venere.com or booking.com is a good place to start looking. Once you find what you are looking for, contact the hotel directly on their website, and ask them for a discounted cash price payable on arrival. There are savings to be had. I have done the research. Hotel managers are also able to solve your transportation questions.

Good luck and have fun planning your trip.

Tony and Rose

Archived