Advice for a couple 30-year olds...

A02

We are a young early 40's couple who enjoyed our March cruise on the Westerdam. HAL does try to appeal to a younger demographic in their outreach to the younger cruise consumer.

The activities on the ship are geared for an older, more sedate crowd. I would consider bingo and art auctions to be geared towards an older crowd that wants to be inside rather than out on deck. There are probably no pool games, except during spring and summer vacations, where lots of young people, under 21, are booked. There is little to no music played around the pool, though the Lido pool had a trio playing, but they played the same 4 songs every day. The Crows Nest is a nice bar, very much like a country club's bar. Probably not going to play alot of new music, not even 80's or 90's. More like Benny Goodman through Neil Sadaka with some disco thrown in. The food is geared towards an older crowd, familiar dishes served in semi-formal, banquet style. It seems that people who cruise often like the familiar and are kept comfortable by the routine. The cuisine is not exciting or especially wonderful. If you are from Northeast metro areas or the West Coast, you will be disappointed. The entertainment is pleasnat but nothing special. Quality dinner theater rather than Broadway, if you understand the difference.

The disco is interesting, most people get a big kick out f watching older couples attempt to boogie. But after 10 minutes, you're more embarassed for them than entertained by them.

You can have a great time with friends, and you cetainly can enjoy a quiet relaxing vacation for the two of you, but you'd probably be better off on another line.

That's one person's opinion, and it's mine, and it's as valid as any other.

Just got back from the Zui a couple of weeks ago. My husband and I are in our early fifties and found the ship to be really lacking in the entertainment department. The piano bar selection was geared to the 70 year old and up crowd (Let Me Call you Sweetheart, etc.). The only "Adult" thing about the "Adult Comedy Show" was there were only adults in the audience.

My advice is book on Carnival or RCL if you want to have a some night life. This was the only cruise (out of 15) that I've been on where the room service for breakfast menus were hung out on the doorknobs before I went for late seating dinner!!!

The ship overall was nice but service was not that great in the Dining Room and the dinners in the Dining Room was hit or miss. Lido Deck food was very good. Actually the worst service we've had out of all our cruises.

It was definitely not our pace and would not book another one solely because of the sedateness and lack of nightlife.

Archived