Man overboard on Spirit to Hawaii!

Winyf

Please do not put that on the family, as a survivor of a family suicide and a I can assure you the family has NO IDEA a person is going to try death by suicide.

Believe me that family is kicking themselves black and blue for not having anticipated it.

I hope the man gets the help he needs, however the chances that he will try until he succeeds are very high, it very sad.

Carole

Thank you for making that comment to her, Carole. I was going to comment, but it would not have been as nicely worded as yours was, so I decided not to say anything;) We've had our share of illness in our family...people are quick to be judgemental know-it-alls when they have no clue. I'm sorry for your loss:(

"Family"?>? didn't they know he had problems?? I bet there is a history there

It sounds like he planned this ..."point of no return"

:rolleyes:

Please do not put that on the family, as a survivor of a family suicide and a I can assure you the family has NO IDEA a person is going to try death by suicide.

Believe me that family is kicking themselves black and blue for not having anticipated it.

I hope the man gets the help he needs, however the chances that he will try until he succeeds are very high, it very sad.

Carole

Thank you for making that comment to her, Carole. I was going to comment, but it would not have been as nicely worded as yours was, so I decided not to say anything;) We've had our share of illness in our family...people are quick to be judgemental know-it-alls when they have no clue. I'm sorry for your loss:(

Yes, THANK YOU both. Glad I didn't hit "Submit" yet on my reply to that. Some people are clueless, especially on that issue.

Carole

however....Halos clearly said the guy was "off" and acting weird and others have posted he was acting weird

Surely the family should have noticed this too??

They MAY have been able to get him some medical help on board...cut off the booze...or while drastic have him confined by security to prevent a tragedy

I have read that people on various "psychotropic" and/or anti depressant medications can have VERY bad reactions to alcohol

From Halos:

"I will put together a review sometime this week, but I have a ton of crap to catch up with unfortunately.....I will do the best I can.

It was a very good cruise."

Thank you Halos for your report on this unnerving incident. I'm looking forward to your review since I'll be sailing to Hawaii in October. Comments on any excursions you did would also be appreciated.

however....Halos clearly said the guy was "off" and acting weird and others have posted he was acting weird

They MAY have been able to get him some medical help on board...cut off the booze...or while drastic have him confined by security to prevent a tragedy

I have read that people on various "psychotropic" and/or anti depressant medications can have VERY bad reactions to alcohol

People who are depressed don't normally commit suicide. I'm sure his family knew he'd been down.

Considering people who are sometimes down do not normally commit suicide, why would his family keep an eye on him24/7?

Do you realize how many people suffer from depression? Should they ALL be locked in a room or babysat 24/7?

When depression goes from depression to desperation, no one likely knows unless the person verbally tells someones they have suicidal thoughts, or make an attempt.

Please stop victim blaming the family about something you don't understand.

I attempted suicide when I was 15 (it was a pro.zac reaction - it made my depression worse)

To my mom, she noticed I was "off" but because I kept everything inside, she didn't know ho bad it was.

Suicidal people don't run around screaming that they want to die. They keep it inside - along with every thing else.

She thought I was just down, she took me to talk to someone. And then gave me some space so I could work through things.

She had no clue I was suicidal. I wasn't thinking about her. I was thinking about a way - any way- to stop hurting.

I'm lucky I am alive.

Guest LoveMyBoxer

And now you are a psychologist??? Putting the blame on the Family -- nice!

How do you know this was more off than normal for this guy. how dare you blame the family. I am sure if he was not saved they would be blaming themselves but with comments like this it makes it worse. I also bet you blame the girls who dress with too much showing for being raped.

How do you know this was more off than normal for this guy. how dare you blame the family. I am sure if he was not saved they would be blaming themselves but with comments like this it makes it worse. I also bet you blame the girls who dress with too much showing for being raped.

I divorced my first husband over making comments like that. :\

That's some conjecture and nowhere near accurate....although we felt something amiss, I don't know that that was something 'new' for this guy. He may be someone with some emotional or mental issues and the family may be used to this 'offness' because it may be normal for him.

I do know that the woman who saw him jump was 'rumoured' to have told security that she felt something weird about the guy and was concerned.

But rumours flew within 10 seconds of the guy jumping.

My MIL ran into one of the comedians that was on board and literally not one minute after the guy jumped, he was telling people that the guy was threatening to jump for an hour and security was trying to talk him out of it.

The rumours were insane and instant....unbelievable.

All I know is that the guy did have some 'issues'...this was not an act of a crazy drunk and that he has a child and my heart bleeds for her and NO ONE should blame or even bring up the guys family.

. We had other friends on this sailing...Anna & Jeff...haven't heard from them yet. Glad that it was a good cruise despite the setbacks!

Anna and Jeff were our tablemates for the 15 nights!!! They are awesome...putting up with the 12 of us for the duration of the cruise :eek:

OMG, Angel, what a horrible experience for you guys (and everyone else)! I can't even imagine it. So glad everything worked out the way it did...that in itself is so rare. Hopefully the man will get some much needed help so he can be a good Dad for his daughter. We had other friends on this sailing...Anna & Jeff...haven't heard from them yet. Glad that it was a good cruise despite the setbacks!:)

We are home from this fabulous cruise! We are now officially part of Halos' family:). Wonderful group and feel like we've known them forever...

Finally able to relax after the long day of travel and trying to adjust back to East Coast time.

I was in the same area as Angel and DH.

At first everyone thought there had been a whale sighting, but soon it regestered that someone had actually jumped.

He was incredibly lucky that it was 1:30 on a sunny afternoon and hundreds of people were in the general area of the serenity deck where he jumped. Took off his shoes and socks, said goodbye and jumped from LIDO! The fact that he survived the fall is miraculous.

Thousands of eyes scanning the ocean for him, quick thinking to get the liferings in the water after him, brave crew, and a wonderful Captain.

We are home from this fabulous cruise! We are now officially part of Halos' family:).

Finally able to relax after the long day of travel and trying to adjust back to East Coast time.

At first everyone thought there had been a whale sighting, but soon it regestered that someone had actually jumped.

He was incredibly lucky that it was 1:30 on a sunny afternoon and hundreds of people were in the general area of the serenity deck where he jumped. Took off his shoes and socks, said goodbye and jumped from LIDO! The fact that he survived the fall is miraculous.

Thousands of eyes scanning the ocean for him, quick thinking to get the liferings in the water after him, brave crew, and a wonderful Captain.

Now that I can agree with....that took a LOT of courage for those crew members to go out there in the ocean !! Carnival Spirit should be proud !

That's some conjecture and nowhere near accurate....although we felt something amiss, I don't know that that was something 'new' for this guy. He may be someone with some emotional or mental issues and the family may be used to this 'offness' because it may be normal for him.

I do know that the woman who saw him jump was 'rumoured' to have told security that she felt something weird about the guy and was concerned.

My MIL ran into one of the comedians that was on board and literally not one minute afrer the guy jumped, he was telling people that the guy was threatening to jump for an hour and security was trying to talk him out of it.

All I know is that the guy did have some 'issues'...this was not an act of a crazy drunk and that he has a child and my heart bleeds for her and NO ONE should blame or even bring up the guys family.

Anna and Jeff were our tablemates for the 15 nights!!! They are awesome...putting up with the 12 of us for the duration of the cruise :eek:

Right back at ya!:)

Now that I can agree with....that took a LOT of courage for those crew members to go out there in the ocean !! Carnival Spirit should be proud !

It was an awesomely impressive rescue.

And can I just say that I think Captain Volpi is adorable???? :D I wanted to take the man home with me...he's cute as a button with the most adorable personality. He is retiring in Sept...a HUGE loss to Carnival for sure.

My MIL ran into one of the comedians that was on board and literally not one minute afrer the guy jumped, he was telling people that the guy was threatening to jump for an hour and security was trying to talk him out of it.

NO where did I say that it was "some crazy drunk">>

I said.....people on various medications can react badly to alcohol

I can imagine there were many rumors...I seriously DOUBT that "security was trying to talk him out of it for an hour"....I think they would have just stopped him.

You just really need to stop typing and step away from the computer...you have no right to judge the person or their family. You have no idea what the situation was, and you're just making yourself look bad:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::mad:

NO where did I say that it was "some crazy drunk">>

I said.....people on various medications can react badly to alcohol

I can imagine there were many rumors...I seriously DOUBT that "security was trying to talk him out of it for an hour"....I think they would have just stopped him.

What makes you think the guy even had one drink? Please don't imply anything. You weren't there. I can tell you on the occasions I saw him he was not drinking. Please just stop already.

My MIL ran into one of the comedians that was on board and literally not one minute after the guy jumped, he was telling people that the guy was threatening to jump for an hour and security was trying to talk him out of it.

We are home from this fabulous cruise! We are now officially part of Halos' family:). Wonderful group and feel like we've known them forever...

That's so funny that you guys ended up as tablemates! I think that was one of Carnival's good match-ups! I can totally see you guys having a good time together!!:D

It was an awesomely impressive rescue.

And can I just say that I think Captain Volpi is adorable???? :D I wanted to take the man home with me...he's cute as a button with the most adorable personality. He is retiring in Sept...a HUGE loss to Carnival for sure.

OMG! You had Captain Volpi?!?! I ADORE him!! We had him on 2 cruises and I thought he was fabulous!:)

From Halos:

"I will put together a review sometime this week, but I have a ton of crap to catch up with unfortunately.....I will do the best I can.

It was a very good cruise."

Thank you Halos for your report on this unnerving incident. I'm looking forward to your review since I'll be sailing to Hawaii in October. Comments on any excursions you did would also be appreciated.

I can give you a snapshot of excursions we did on this cruise. My wife and I have lived in Hawaii for 9 years over the years (she was born there) and both of us are pretty familiar with the islands. I won't comment about that character who decided it might be a good idea to jump off the ship and leave his family behind. I can say the crew on the ship were professionals and the boat crew did a great job in dangerous conditions. That guy owes his life to them.

We rented a car at Hilo and did the volcano tour on our own. On Maui we rented another car and did the island on our own (we travel there quite a bit). We did a zip line tour through Skyline Eco Tours at Kaanapali and had a blast...8 lines and the scenery was out of this world. Very professional company with great guides. At Honolulu we also rented a car, hiked Diamond Head (not to be missed) and visited with a friend who lives there. In Kona (the Big Island) we did a Kayak trip through Carnival. This was a fairly short tender port so we didn't want to waste any time getting off the ship. Didn't really like this excursion...too much work!!:eek: We paddled around for 3 miles or so and did some snorkling. And finally we did an ATV tour through Kipu Tours and both of us enjoyed that one. Took a 15 minute taxi to the office at a ranch that ended up costing around $25.00 each way. It was worth it though and would do it again.

A word about car rentals...after weeks of searching for deals I finally found Discount Hawaii Car Rental (just google it) and found some fantastic deals. I paid half of what I found via conventional methods and was thrilled with their service. I won't use anyone else now when we travel to Hawaii.

What makes you think the guy even had one drink? Please don't imply anything. You weren't there. I can tell you on the occasions I saw him he was not drinking. Please just stop already.

How am I "implying" anything??? I don't know if he was drinking or not

I said....people on various meds CAN react badly to alcohol

He was lucky that the crew and passengers were so alert

the fact that the ship would have been stuck for 3 days out there in the ocean is pretty scary.....makes one think about being on a hawaii cruise and/or a transatlantic....so far from everything

I would like to know who on the "crew" are the ones to go out there and risk their lives like that....are they specially trained?? Security? Officers??

I really do admire them.....that had to be super scary out there in the middle of the Pacific ocean

I said....people on various meds CAN react badly to alcohol

That's absolutely true but has no bearing on this incident as far as anyone knows so it doesn't need to be mentioned....because that will just cause more unnecessary rumor. There's plenty enough of that already.

I have no idea which crew members went out in the lifeboat...I heard that it was a bit frantic and not all 'neat and clean'....but then again, that is also rumor. Bottom line is the mission was accomplished, thank God.

You just really need to stop typing and step away from the computer...you have no right to judge the person or their family. You have no idea what the situation was, and you're just making yourself look bad:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::mad:

I totally agree Linny!

I'm very happy to see that Carnival was able to pull off the rescue successfully. I recall a couple of years ago where a Disney ship had to come in and rescue someone because the Carnival ship was having problems getting their boats in the water. I'm sure that a lot of additional training (fleet wide) after that embarrassing incident paid off here, in some part at least.

My hat is off to those individuals who were part of the rescue. Sure, it's their job, but you still have to be able to rise to the occasion when it counts!

As to the jumper and his family -- they all have some tough times ahead of them, and I wish them well.

Tom

We were told later that if they had not found him in the water, we would have had to put several rescue boats in the water and stay there until the Coast Guard could arrive, which could have been several days since we were at the halfway mark.

We learned that this man was extremely lucky to have been rescued. In 98% of the time when someone jumps, they are not found alive, if found at all.

Truly doubtful. The Coast Guard does not expect crews to endanger themselves to rescue someone who wants to kill themselves. Having 2-3 small boats stay out to look for this person in heavy seas without the Spirit immediately available would be foolish and dangerous. I'm not sure who told you this...the baker's girlfriend's friend who is a ship's photographer?

I totally agree.

People who are depressed don't normally commit suicide. I'm sure his family knew he'd been down.

Considering people who are sometimes down do not normally commit suicide, why would his family keep an eye on him24/7?

Do you realize how many people suffer from depression? Should they ALL be locked in a room or babysat 24/7?

When depression goes from depression to desperation, no one likely knows unless the person verbally tells someones they have suicidal thoughts, or make an attempt.

Please stop victim blaming the family about something you don't understand.

I attempted suicide when I was 15 (it was a pro.zac reaction - it made my depression worse)

To my mom, she noticed I was "off" but because I kept everything inside, she didn't know ho bad it was.

Suicidal people don't run around screaming that they want to die. They keep it inside - along with every thing else.

She thought I was just down, she took me to talk to someone. And then gave me some space so I could work through things.

She had no clue I was suicidal. I wasn't thinking about her. I was thinking about a way - any way- to stop hurting.

I'm lucky I am alive.

So glad you shared, and that you are here to show so much insight and compassion. Thank you.

I only wish Sharecruisers could see how heartless her posts are.

Archived