Scuba on Grand Cayman

sgetto

Steven/SGETTO

Sorry it took me so long to get back with you, but I haven't looked at this thread in a while. You have several ways to get to Tulum From PDC. The easiest, but most expensive is a cab. I recall that I payed about $25.00 for that. The best way is to jump on a "Collectivo". For about a $1.00 they will take you all the way to Tulum. The ruins are a very easy 1/4 mile walk from the main road. FYI. A "collectivo" is a van that picks up people along the main road and drops you off anywhere you want along the main road. The drivers usually cannot speak a word of english, and the vans are usually pretty crowded. If you like the local flavor you'll love them. Just ask any of the people in PDC where to find the start point and they'll tell you. A third alternative is to take a bus. You can pick them up very close to the ferry peer. I've never take them to Tulum so I don't have any info on schedule or cost. Of course the safest, easiest, and most expensive way is to sign up for a cruise line excursion. The decision is yours. If you need any more info let me know, and I'll be glad to help you

Jerry

• 2 weeks later...

Nparmalee,

I did a RCL cruise last summer to the med and we dove in Corfu. It was a intro course as no one in my family had ever been diving before. We went with Calypso dive center - http://www.divingcorfu.com. They were great (they even picked us up from the ship and after we were done, they gave us a driving tour of Corfu town on the way back to the ship). However, there wasn't much in the way of wild life where we dove. I'm not sure if that was because we were on a resort course, or if that is what the med is like.

Steven

By the way...I would highly recommend the RCL 13 day cruise out of barcelona.

• 4 weeks later...

I've abandoned the idea of going to Tulum as it looks to far for only a relatively short visit to the site. So, now I may be able to dive in Cozumel. However, since this is an anniversary trip, it would wrong for me to abandon my DW for another half day. She has expressed some interest in snorkelling, and I was wondering if any of the operators have offer both types of trips. That way we could spend the boat time together and I'll still get the chance to dive. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Steven

.....She has expressed some interest in snorkelling, and I was wondering if any of the operators have offer both types of trips. That way we could spend the boat time together and I'll still get the chance to dive.

Steven, there are dive operators in Cozumel both divers and snorkelers on trips. From a previous post:

Sorry Sportser, I don't think Christi takes snorkelers. You might try Blue Angel They offer a snorkel/dive combo.

Quote from their website:

Departing at 10:00 am for familes that want to share a day together, combination of 2 dive reefs with 3 stops for snorkelers. Divemaster and Snorkel guide on board. Lunch included.

Other cruisers like http://www.eagleraydivers.com for snorkel/dive combo trips.

Archived